Skinamarink, new horror movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ghoulsurgery, Jan 15, 2023.

1. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost Thread Starter

That’s fair, but I didn’t notice any looping at all. I was immersed enough in it that it didn’t even strike me.

2. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I saw this film in a downtown Phoenix theater last Saturday afternoon. 4 people in attendance. Running time 1 hour 40 minutes.
    I agree with much of what has been said in this thread.
    I would never recommend it to anyone. It's not "good" in any way you can describe. But somehow it works. It's horrifying. It's like a long nightmare a child with a fever might have.
    There were points in the last 20 minutes where I felt like my brain was fried and I didn't know what the hell was even going on anymore.
    There is a moment somewhere in the middle where the boy places a 911 call and you think "Now we're getting somewhere!" But like in a dream, nothing comes of it.

Chrome_Head and ghoulsurgery like this.
  3. ghoulsurgery

The 911 call and how it played out was brutal. There were a few scenes that made me so anxious, I just wanted them to be over. Like the “look under the bed” scene. It hit the pit of my stomach just like a bad dream would

Chrome_Head and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  4. Moonbeam Skies

"Look under the bed" is a hideous moment. It's the way it's said with no emotion.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Just watched this on Shudder. Need to let it sink in a bit before I decide how much i liked it, but one thing is certain - I won't forget it any time soon.

6. Moonbeam Skies

I saw it at a theater in January and I still can't figure out if I hate it or if it is so weird it's impossible to have an opinion.

RickH and ghoulsurgery like this.
  7. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I'll wait for it to hit cable or Netflix...

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I've seen plenty of horror movies and this one truly disturbed me in a unique way. It brought me back to my childhood nightmares.
    Really unsettling

Chrome_Head and ghoulsurgery like this.
  9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Currently on HULU, I gave it a shot but didn’t like it,(after 20 minutes), I’ll have to try it again when in the mood.

10. Moonbeam Skies

You won't like it if it didn't grab you in the first 20 minutes. Trust me on that my friend.

Borgia, Chrome_Head and JohnG like this.
  11. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I don't think this is a movie for theaters.
    I watched last night with lights turn off while everyone was sleeping

Chrome_Head and JohnG like this.
  12. ghoulsurgery

I do kinda wish I’d watched it at home. I had to yell at someone in the theater that kept taking their phone out. But I couldn’t wait! I wanted to see it as soon as I could

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, the same hair appeared in same spot about a hundred times. Most annoying.

gojikranz and Crack To The Egg like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's perfect for a theater because you can't get a refund for a lousy movie.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  15. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Skinamarink is terrible- avoid watching it at all costs- don't waste your time on this. I don't even know why it was released- it's so bad.
    I find it completely baffling how anybody could watch this and think it's ok. It's one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Ghostworld and gojikranz like this.
  16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Just watched this movie last night, as I had heard a lot about it.

It's been on my mind today, so I'll repost my thoughts from the "Rate The Last Movie You Watched" thread, along with a theory of what I think it's about:

An abstract and drawn-out exercise in sensory horror; the plot is barely explained and the whole thing is an exercise in unsettling tedium with a few jump scares. Two kids wake up in their house to find their father missing and the doors and windows (really the whole house environment) disappearing and shifting. I read some people's theories as to what the story is really about, and found some interesting posts. But those theories are really far more entertaining to read about than experiencing this quite slow and dull one hour and a half film.

I ate some edibles before watching this, and it definitely creeped me out during and after, a freakin' weird movie that will test the patience of just about anybody who watches it. There is a seed of a good idea in here (and I noticed it draws liberally from that Twilight Zone: The Movie segment about the kid with powers**, and also Mark Z Danielewski's infamous novel from 2000, House Of Leaves about the infinitely shifting interior of a house), but there are long stretches of nothing happening, and things are implied in the shadowy and grainy gloom of the house's corners that the camera dwells but it gets quite old. Total weird sh!t, would not recommend, but it is somewhat unique.

And it's definitely gotten into my head and stuck with me more than some other horror films have!

Now for my theory on what I think it's really about (spoilers):

There's the coma theory as in, the kid Kevin is experiencing the whole of the film after his accident in a kind of nightmare state.

I'd take it a step further and say, his accident (as well as the broken family, as the parents appear separated) awakened some kind of malevolent mental extension of himself, with powers over matter and space and probably time. It tracks with why the entity is childlike, watching cartoons over and over with the kids and playing with their toys.

Kevin is also the only one not affected or led around by the entity in the story, besides the thing convincing him to stab out his eye. The entity is him externalized, and he can wield power over his own physical body as well as over those in the house, and over the house itself. So everything that's happening in the movie is really happening, and not a dream or a coma state.

And it's why when he asks the entity its name, twice, at the end of the film, he doesn't get a response. Because it's him.

Now, as to that Twilight Zone: The Movie segment, anyone remember this? The kid with the powers makes his sister's mouth disappear. This always stuck with me since I was a young kid. Definitely feel the filmmaker got some ideas from TZ:TM, I've read even one of the cartoons shown on the TV's in both films is the same.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    ghoulsurgery likes this.