Sleater-Kinney new Album "The Center Won't Hold"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

What does everyone think of the new single The Future Is Here? I didn't like Hurry On Home and this isn't doing much for me either.

3. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Yeah, not good. 0 for 2 so far. I guess this will end up being a "listen before buying" situation, and I never thought that would be the case with this band.

Vern likes this.
  4. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Wow, that is terrible and the worst thing they've done. How disappointing.

I appreciate that they're doing something different, but in this case it's a step backwards.

Oh well.

5. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Neither of these singles sound much like Sleater-Kinney as we've come to know them. Good for them, they're going what they want. Bad for those of us who really, really liked what they were.

That being said, already pre-ordered and looking forward to the tour.

Beamish13 likes this.
  6. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

That video won't play for me up above so here it is again, sorry if that clogs the thread. It's growing on me after a couple of listens, but it sure didn't sound like Sleater-Kinney at first!

Have you seen the pre order bundles? $250 for the LP + 7" box set = WHAT?? :biglaugh::crazy:

7. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

The Future is Here is...interesting. I find myself thinking it's cool to hear S-K going in a new direction, but then asking myself: If I didn't know this was S-K, would I skip right by this song? And I think the answer might be yes, unfortunately.

DirkM likes this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ok, "the future is here" is pretty tedious. first impression is the production doesn't fit.

i've always loved this band, but i'll be the first to admit that sometimes their lyrics make me roll my eyes. instead of getting mixed in with some great rock & roll, they're now placed front and center by sparse space age synths. yikes. i actually love synth but i don't think this works.

PearlJamNoCode likes this.
  9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It's funny because I've only listened to a track here and there over the years by them, and I was never impressed enough to listen further. As a St. Vincent fan I decided to give these a listen and I really like them. I guess that's a gamble for them to lose some fans and gain some others... Or maybe it's just an album detour and they'll return to their regular sound in the future.

GentleSenator and BeardedSteven like this.
  10. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

I actually dig “The Future Is Here” quite a bit. It’s different for sure but I think the band is reaching for something. Here’s Carrie talking about the The Center Won’t Hold on NPR (quoted in Pitchfork’s album announcement article):

“We always planned on getting back in the studio—it was just a matter of when,” Carrie Brownstein told NPR earlier this year when she confirmed Annie Clark’s involvement in the new record. “If there is an overarching principle to this album, it's that the tools on which we were relying proved inadequate. So we sought new ones, both metaphorically and literally.”

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Plus a signed poster...still expensive but if it's real sigs and not reproductions that's pretty cool...of course I love them and have been a big fan since I heard Dig Me Out for the first time.

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

tickets for shows are a bit pricey. especially since it was $7 to see them in 1997. ;)

13. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

14. Sea Within a Sea

Sea Within a Sea Forum Resident

That article makes it sound like there are a LOT of Brownstein-sung songs on this album.

Oof.

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’d be interested to hear any guitar rock band go in a “new direction” other than eventually swapping their guitars out for synths. Seems like a move that nearly everyone makes sooner or later. Having said, I don’t think The Future Is Here is terrible, although I hope Peter Hook gets royalties for the bass line. I see a 9.0 Pitchfork review and maybe even a breakthrough into what’s left of the mainstream for this record, because this is a new direction that will play well for a lot of listeners, I suspect.

Parachute Woman and MEMark like this.
  16. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

Ha! Yeah, Peter Hook should get credit and money for a LOT of bass lines out there. I agree about the response--I think the combination of S-K and Annie Clark cool factors will be heralded as daring and ground-breaking.

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Ugh Jeff Tweedy... thank god that didn’t happen!

Beamish13 and GentleSenator like this.
  18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I don't dig either of the new songs at all. Sleater-Kinney were one of my favorite bands when I was in high school, but I haven't connected with their post hiatus work. I'm actually not a St. Vincent fan outside of a couple of songs so my excitement was already deflated when I heard she was producing everything. And--yeah, fewer guitars and less Corin equals very little interest from me.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i love st. vincent, but i don't like SK sounding like st. vincent.

deadcoldfish likes this.
  20. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

The second single is pretty weak.. it never really takes off.. and IMO deflates when the "nah, nah, nah" part comes in.... I hope that this song improves in the context of the whole record.

21. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

they've been annie'd

just like the last few st. vincent albums, this is pretty, but pretty boring

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Doesn't sound like them however many time you play it. But....I like it. No Cities felt like them doing the old thing without the same intensity; this is very different and feels fresher.

23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I watched their Fallon appearance last night and had the same thought. Especially with the robotic hand motions and stuff...like, "Is this a new character?" Some kind of comedy/rock dissonance going on now that's unfortunate.

24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I wasn't thrilled with the Fallon appearance.

It also looks like they now have a 5th person.....(in addition to Katie Harkin).......to play keyboards.

twicks likes this.
  25. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I really don’t think St. Vincent was the right fit for them

whatwhat and twicks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.