Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

They might not be able to get insurance with her on Bass.

Neonbeam and marc with a c like this.
  2. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Jeff seems to be Billy’s right hand man now, so I was figuring he was gonna keep him in the band even if they had gotten D’arcy back. He’s a multi instrumentalist anyway so he can always play keys, extra guitar or whatever.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  4. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

They do put on a great show. I also got to see them in a theatre for the Machina tour. They played for what seemed liked 3 hours, and for some strange reason the music they played over the PA before the show was Music From The Elder by Kiss.

6. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

There's a countdown on their official website right now. Might be a tour announcement or album pre order...

7. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Ahhh, what is it?!

8. veon

veon Forum Resident

Countdown to Valentines Day! Haha

ponkine likes this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

[​IMG]
    Valentine's Day = Disarm cover art... original line up?

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. veon

veon Forum Resident

On an aside: could they please announce a release for the Machina Deluxe edition, now that 3/4 of the band is back together? I heard it was tied up in legal purgatory, but maybe a “reunion” makes it more marketable now...

11. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

12. amoergosum

13. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Late to this, but I’d guess Carol already claims to have played on all the Pumpkins’ classic songs, and would sue Billy if he stated otherwise.

AndydD, somnar and Hep Alien like this.
  14. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Patrick Salerno (D'arcy's boyfriend) posted on Facebook today that SP had offered D'arcy money to join the reunion, and she wanted to accept, but there was a "breakdown" in the communication at one point.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

This is just too sad. D'arcy just confirmed to Alternative Nation that she was offered "millions of $$$" to play on a whole tour. She wanted to do it, and said she would do it, but Billy changed his mind afterwards, "because he is too insecure". She posted this information in the comments section of a recent article, and after speculation regarding the comments (including some pretty unethical IP tracing), she e-mailed AN to confirm that it was indeed her.

Hep Alien and Aftermath like this.
  16. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

This could be true but I have a hard time believing any "news" posted to that website. It's just click-bait trash.

17. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

It is a shame if D'arcy isnt there. Saw that original line-up around 10 times in concert over here in England. The band was always tight, the only issues I remember were Billy's moods. I'm not one to say "i wont go if its not the original 4" but lets just say i'd have far more enthusiasm to spring the cash out if there were all there. I know i'll end up going regardless. Just would be nice for all to be involved.

18. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

Yeah AN is a hack site. I need more sources.

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would hope that they could do what GnR did with Steven Adler. With hundreds of millions at stake, given Adker’s past and current condition, they did what they had to do and hired a different drummer. But, they invited him to appear a couple of times, so he presumably earned a little money and enjoyed a little glory.

Hep Alien, Neonbeam and Runicen like this.
  20. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Of everyone in the classic lineup, something rings false that Billy would have some unique insecurity complex with D'arcy...

That he's ok with everyone else makes me question this highly.

21. Billy gave D'Arcy money for her boyfriend to break this, and then she follow up with a confirmation that the news is, indeed, true. At the last minute she'll be in the touring band. It's all apart of the media blitz. It's a whopper! They know they can tell the public that this new album will be amazing, and then it becomes a part of everyone's subconscious before they even hear it, thus fulfilling Billy's prophecy. From coast-to-coast, LA to New York, we'll relive our glory days $13.99.

There's wine cheaper than this.

Fullbug, Hep Alien and havenz like this.
  22. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

there is a billboard in chicago that reads:
    "despite all my rage i am still just a rat in a cage 2-15-18"

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

One billboard ouside of Chicago, Illinois :evil:

How come, Billy?

Wild Frank likes this.
  24. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

I’m not entirely sure D’arcy is all there enough to commit to a full tour but I really would rather she was there :-/
    Is a new album going to be announced do you think or just a tour?

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. amoergosum

"D’arcy Reveals All About Her Exclusion from Smashing Pumpkins “Reunion”
    According to texts from Billy Corgan to D'arcy, James Iha, too, has little or no contribution to new album

As a clock winds down on The Smashing Pumpkins’ website, culminating in, presumably, a Thursday announcement of a “reunion” tour, as well as new music, there remains vagueness about why original bassist D’arcy will have no involvement in any of it.

Last month, D’arcy confirmed to BlastEcho that she was very disappointed that she would not be participating in any sort of reunion with the band and apologized to the fans for her absence.

D’arcy’s reveal somewhat coincided with a steady diet of Instagram updates by Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan that appeared to be about new Pumpkins music from the original band—or, at least, three-fourths of it—with producer Rick Rubin in Los Angeles.

Now it’s come to light that the only original members involved in the recording were, in fact, Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, according to text exchanges between D’arcy and Corgan.

Based on a text conversation between D’arcy and Corgan from mid-January, Corgan wrote, “well, so you know, [original guitarist] James [Iha] isn’t here either. It’s me and Jimmy working and [guitarist] Jeff [Schroeder] now too.”

Further, Corgan texted, “James is focused on his stuff, which is why he isn’t here. And, as far as Rubin, he’s gonna be involved a little but not the whole thing.”

D’arcy said she told that the plan had been to record only one new song with Rick Rubin with all of the original members in January, but unbeknownst to her, the plan changed. She only found out about the recording sessions the same way the rest of the world did: Instagram.

According to D’arcy, Corgan reached out to her through texts trying to explain her exclusion and assuage any worries she might have had after having seen the photo of all her bandmates in an L.A. studio together.

Once Corgan went public, he texted her “as far as you not being involved, there was never any decision to shut you out, or make you not welcome. It’s more about getting on the same page with [the] tour first and then the necessity of the song came up.” He further added, “so focus on [the] tour and I think we can find the right way to have you involved. I know speaking with Jimmy, he wants you involved so that the tour is the best thing we can all give the fans and build for the future.”

Though Corgan recently revealed via Instagram that the band has “26 songs currently in various states of production,” the text exchange between Corgan and D’arcy referenced just one new song.

According to D’arcy, they both spoke many times about their shared desire to “be a band again and to do it right this time and have fun with it in a relaxed environment.” Neither wanted to do a typical “reunion tour.” D’arcy says Corgan told her that Iha and Chamberlin had no desire to record a full album, so they would instead record one new song and then tour the following summer.

Expanding on a previous statement D’arcy made to BlastEcho, D’arcy said that Corgan initially made a contract offer to her, Iha and Chamberlin, which was agreed upon by all parties. However, a month later D’arcy says Billy told her “well, that wasn’t a real offer.” It’s unclear whether or not the initial offer remains for Iha and Chamberlin, although D’arcy is under the impression it is.

An explanation as to why the offer was rescinded, too, remains unclear. Cryptically, she said she has an inkling but “that is a whole other can of worms and a big, ugly one! Another time.”

However, after the offer was pulled, she said he said via text that both Iha–who D’arcy had kept in touch with over the past 16 years–and Chamberlin were “with him” on that decision to reunite without her. “I am totally disgusted with James,” she said via text. “He should be ashamed of himself.”

The clock on the Pumpkins’ website is slated to expire on Thursday, at which point new music and the announcement of a tour slated to begin in July will be revealed. In addition to Corgan, Iha and Chamberlin, Schroeder will play guitar with this new incarnation. It’s also believed, but not confirmed, that Jack Bates, who played bass for the Pumpkins in a recent version of the band, will retain the same role going forward."

D’arcy Reveals All About Her Exclusion from Smashing Pumpkins “Reunion” – BlastEcho

D.B. and Hep Alien like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.