SME 15A with 309 arm cartridge recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Whistlerskibum, Dec 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident Thread Starter

Upgrading from my Rega P3-24 groovetracer modded deck with ania cartridge. Thinking the SME will be my final table. Planning on using the SME with Modwright PH 9.0 phonostage.

always have used rega carts in past (exact and ania) so not too familiar with other brands of carts. Steve Guttenberg when reviewing the modwright PH 9.0 on his YouTube channel was using an ortofon cadenza blue with his SME 15 to review the modwright, so I’m thinking of using this cart to start the discussion.

the 309 arm has detachable cartridge headshells thinking it might be prudent to have a mono cart as well, the modwright does have a mono switch. Most of my mono records are recent pressings (Beatles and stones, Miles Davis, etc) although I do have some late 60’s mono pressings. Always searching for additional mono pressings when in record stores

any cartridge suggestions would be appreciated, have a budget of $3,000 or less than stereo cart plus additional if mono cart is advisable

2. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

If you can stretch your budget a couple hundred, the EMT JSD6 is an amazing cartridge. My friend has one on his SME 15/V turntable. Outstanding dynamics and natural sound.

jusbe likes this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Ortofon 2M Mono is a very decent cart, I assume their higher end offerings are similar so if you do go Ortofon for stereo if they do a mono equivalent in the same body it will definitely make your life very simple with regard to switching carts.

4. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I bought a deck with a 309/Ortofon Quintet Blue on it earlier this year. The Quintet body it too tall for the arm. It cannot be raised to the correct height without the lift/lower platform fouling the armtube.
    As a result, there is no real high frequency information or air at all. I would not use any of the new tall Ortofon carts on a 309 if staring from scratch.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

What TT? Something is wrong here. On the right TT (other than technics I think) there should be ample adjustment. If it's another TT the arm board is too low or not sufficient thickness. On an SME deck would be no issue with Ortofon. Same goes for Michell. Avid, Transrotor., Oracle. All those usually fitted with SME arms before the recent daft decision by the SME owners.

6. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Oracle Delphi VI. If you raise the arm pillar by the extra 1mm required to allow correct VTA , the armtube fouls on the lift/lower platform. There is no way around it, I`ve tried!
    I`ve set-up a few SME arms over the years, so I`m familiar with setting them up. (My first was a V on a Model 20, with the new owner looking over my shoulder - no pressure!!!).

7. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Older Ortofons were not as tall iirc. I only ever mounted Clearaudio, Koetsu and VDH carts on the few SME arms I set-up in my hi-fi retail days.

8. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

bodicus likes this.
  9. Classicrock

There is an adjustment screw to enable the lift/ lower platform to be dropped. Smallest allen key supplied with the arm (hard to spot due to rubber platform). Have you tried this?

bodicus likes this.
  10. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I thought there must be someway to lower the platform but, I didn`t want to go swinging out of it in case I damaged something. I bought the arm/deck second-hand so there was no boxes, tools etc. with it. Thanks for the tip, I`ll give it a go! :)

11. Classicrock

Try and get yourself the proper tools and alignment protractor from SME or an online dealer (try Analogue Seduction). The manual is still up on SME website.

bodicus likes this.
  12. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Will do. I`ve plans to order a box for the Delphi and get all of the tools etc too for the 309. Thanks again for the advice. Much appreciated.
    (I actually have the manual for the 309 but, it didn`t occur to me to refer to it - schoolboy error!).

13. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated appears the ortofon cartridges should be ok from above comments due to tone arm adjustment options available

bodicus likes this.
  14. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

My 309 is the Oracle version...and does not have the allen bolt on the side to allow me to lower the arm lift/lower platform. I assume this was to keep customers buying Oracle carts. Yearrrrgghhhhhh!!!!!

Unless, it`s the little ones on the far side (lp platter side) of the arm that are a pain to get at?
    Probably less hassle to fit a new cart o_O

15. Classicrock

The Allen bolt is in the lift platform. You have to push the key thro' the rubber vertically. Read the manual. Clockwise to lower I think. You need the correct sized tool (very small).

bodicus likes this.
  16. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

Legend! Cheers :)

17. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

At the risk of derailing this thread again, the Oracle 345 does not have this adjustment available. I`ll remove the arm this week to try find it, but I reckon it`s slightly different than the standard 309. (Also, the lift/lower platfom is at it`s lowest setting when cueing lever is fully down).
    I`ve set up many different tonearms over the years and I am surprised that the 345 appears to be cynically designed to only work with Oracle carts, or ones of similar dimensions from what I can gather.
    The standard 309 is probably fine. (The link on Oracle`s website for the 345 manual directs you to the 309 one on the SME site - not much use so).

18. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I run a Grado Statement Reference 1 on my SME Model 10/ SeriesV so at your budget the Grado Statement 2 would be well worth a look. Based on my experience, others options worth considering are the,

Koetsu Rosewood.
    Van Den Hul Crimson.
    Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti.
    Shelter 7000.
    Lyra Kleos.
    Transfiguration Phoenix S.

19. Classicrock

Since the arm is a rebadge I (maybe different internal wiring) don't see how or why this is missing. It's really hard to see it so I would advise recheck (centre of the lift mechanism / platform). Have you got the right size key? Use it to feel for the bolt head. You probably only need about 1mm adjustment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.