Smiths Reunion - will it happen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

You can tell me how wrong I am when this actually happens.

Aftermath likes this.
  2. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

While I am always the voice for "anything can happen in rock reunions" Marr just made it as obvious as can be within the very context of alleged negotiations that he is currently not in. That tweet would be FAR harder to back down on than generic past "the Smiths are behind me" or "I refuse to work with Mike Joyce" or whatever on anyone's part. I will no longer be saving up to buy a ticket to see the Smiths next year...

3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Over the years there have been bands that nobody thought would ever reunite and they did. However, if ever there was a band that I would put money on never playing together again it's The Smiths! "I bear more grudges, than lonely high court judges" seems more autobiographical than anyone realised :)

4. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I think Marr's tweet seems fairly clear he won't be playing those songs with Morrissey next year.

5. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

That’s hysterical. If it were true they signed something with Live Nation, I’d say Marr isn’t participating and the reunion’s over.

A possibility here is that Live Nation got rights to a Smiths reunion tour IF there is one. That doesn’t mean there will be one.

My point is, there’s all manner of ways that the Live Nation rumor could be true, but there still wouldn’t be a reunion.

As others pointed out that even if there were a reunion tour, what are the odds Morrissey shows up for dates more than 50% of the time? And what percent of those does Morrissey sing for longer than 20 minutes before walking off stage?

Anyway, how apropos:

“When you say it’s gonna happen ‘now’ /
    “When exactly do you mean?”

When? I’d say never, but that’s just my 2 cents.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  6. Johnny Marr's tweet makes clear that this is not going to happen. At least not with the full original line up.

Detroit Music Fan and Spencer R like this.
  7. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Sounds like LN are ********ting.

8. whoman4says

whoman4says Forum Resident

There's more chance of The Clash reforming than The Smiths at the moment (or any other moment if Morrissey continues with his far-right rhetoric).

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The Smiths would never reform even if Morrissey weren’t putting his foot in his mouth constantly. That Morrissey does constantly do that takes the chances from zero to less than zero.

10. whoman4says

whoman4says Forum Resident

Basically, JM's a good egg and SM's a cock.

11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I don’t think that’s the case. I think the public would be more interested in the Morrissey/Marr aspect, and who was on bass and drums would be immaterial. However, would Marr really want to associate with Morrissey at this stage, given the latter’s world view, which seems completely at odds with Marr’s?

georgespigott likes this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I can’t speak for the public, but, just as I have zero interest in seeing “The Who” without Entwistle and Moon, I have zero interest in seeing “The Smiths” without Rourke and Joyce.

13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Morrissey and Joyce only communicate through lawyers.

Marr probably wouldn't want it.

johnnyyen likes this.
  14. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

At least the Velvets managed the original lineup.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Aren't the other members of The Smiths veg heads, too? That would rule out the Nuge.

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That's the other thing. I mean a reunited Smiths would sell out huge venues in the UK, but they were never big in the States and are at best only marginally better known now. If they did try to book them in big venues here, it would be like the Bad Company reunion I saw in a 1/4 full area. A money losing proposition for whomever was on the risk (the band or the promoters).

17. corduroy

corduroy Forum Resident

This would have been perfect 10 or 15 years ago.

Now? Not so much. Not to mention, I can't see Joyce being part of any reunion.

18. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

The cancel culture strikes again.

God I wish I was perfect like some of you lot.

Of course perfection these days only comes in one flavor.

19. Not at all, if you're referring to a reunion. Even if Morrissey was woke as F this wouldn't be happening.

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

If I was a The Smiths fan, the last thing I would wish for would be a re-union. After all, I saw The Velvet Underground in '93.

notesfrom and muzzer like this.
  21. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not the same thing at all. Moon & Entwistle we’re part of The Who for years before their deaths. They also brought a unique sound to the band. Rourke and Joyce are just a average rhythm section that any competent musicians could probably replace. Just my opinion though.

georgespigott and johnnyyen like this.
  22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I completely disagree. Bill Wyman is no one’s idea of a virtuoso bass player, yet the Stones were hurt badly by his departure. And not to dismiss Joyce, but Rourke’s bass lines on This Charming Man, Barbarism Begins At Home, and many other Smiths songs are far from average.

23. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

I'd be disappointed to see a racist (my opinion) showered in reunion $$$.

24. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

That bad?

25. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

And it's not accurate.

Rourke's bass lines are essential to the success of the songs ; on Barbarism Begins At Home, This Charming Man, and so on, they're pretty much low register counterpoint melody lines.

Anyone who thinks a drummer isn't important to a song only needs to hear those early Beatles demos. Or pre-Grohl Nirvana.

Morrissey only ever said they were replacement parts of a lawnmower so he could convince judges they weren't worth being paid. That didn't work.

hamicle, Gavaxeman, ajsmith and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.