Smokin' new CCR influenced tune from Eilen Jewell, from her upcoming album ''Gypsy''.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackson, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member Thread Starter

The album drops in August, as a proud owner of all her previous albums ''CD and/or vinyl'' i cannot wait to get my hands on it.

2. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Thanks! Looking forward to it! :cool:

melstapler and Jackson like this.
  3. Jackson

melstapler likes this.
  4. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Great news. Glad to see that Jerry Miller is still with her. The new album sounds pretty country. Each one she does seems to favor a particular genre and they're all good. I wish she could get a little more attention. Check her out people! Jerry Miller is a master of roots guitar, all the roots. He knows them all.

5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Not familiar with her. The clip sounds pretty good. I'll keep her on my radar.

6. Jackson

I can't think of any current artist more deserving of attention, felt this way since the first time i caught her live back in 09.

I suggest you try to catch her live, if she plays anywhere near you, she's incredibly GOOD, you will not be disappointed.

jazdoc and Borderline fool like this.
  7. Borderline fool

Borderline fool Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous statements. Eilen is a phenomenal performer and singer and also a very underrated songwriter. All of her records are nearly flawless and this one sounds exactly like I wanted it to sound. There is certainly no current artist that I rank higher. Can't wait to hear the whole album.

Jackson likes this.
  8. Jackson

''Although her songs often recall a bygone era, rarely encumbered by stylistics that arrived any later than the 1960s, it never feels like an affectation. Instead, one is struck by the purity of her work, its seeming effortlessness and its deep emotional impact. One can hear that in "Crawl" alone, a song she says was a long time in the making.''

Eilen Jewell Turns World Upside Down With "Crawl" (premiere + interview)

mrjinks likes this.
  9. Jackson

10. Jackson

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Funny, I didn't notice the "CCR influenced" description in your title and as I was listening, I thought "this sounds sorta like CCR". :)

Looking forward to the album!

Jackson and uzn007 like this.
  12. Jackson

From the article.

''I was inspired to write ‘79 Cents (The Meow Song)’ after the 2016 presidential election. I was trying, and still am trying, to make sense of what it means to be a woman in a country that somehow elected a self-professed ***** grabber as head of state. What does this mean for my daughter? What does it reveal about the way this country views women? Regardless of whether one accepts the data regarding the pay gap, it continuously feels like I am worth less than a man in our culture, in both subtle and blatant ways. Lately I can only face the patriarchy with humor, which I’m sure will offend many. But, well, at least I’m not grabbing pussies''

Song Premiere: Eilen Jewell's "79 Cents (The Meow Song)" • Americana Highways

Finch Platte and GrayMouser like this.
  13. Jackson

14. mrjinks

Any thoughts on the new disc, @Jackson?

I'm likely picking it up this weekend, as she's doing an in-store here Saturday prior to a gig Sunday night. I actually LIKE the thought of her being more political, but I have to say the 79 cents song didn't quite do it for me - it seemed sort of amateurish. Still looking forward to checking the rest of the disc out...

15. Jackson

I think the whole album beginning to end is great, and possibly her best yet. It is less guitar driven, and more varied musically than previous albums, but one could hardly say that it suffers as a result. I can't imagine anyone familiar ''or not'' with her music feeling let down.

The AllMusic review is spot on.

Gypsy - Eilen Jewell | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

As for ''79 Cents (The Meow Song)''. it is my favorite song on the album, protest done with humour, intelligence and most of all CLASS.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  16. mrjinks

Well, I only heard it once so far, so hopefully my opinion will change!

Sad to hear there’s less Jerry Miller though - he’s amazing!

17. Jackson

Would be curious to know your opinion of the song, and the album as a whole, once you've had the chance to listen to it a few times.

Still plenty of Jerry, and he's not going anywhere, at least i hope not.:)

mrjinks likes this.
  18. mrjinks

Jackson likes this.
  19. mrjinks

Jackson likes this.
  20. mrjinks

I caught her generous hour-long (free) in-store gig here Saturday and her “record release party” last night at the venue that adjoins the studio she’s used for all her Boise-based recordings in recent years. At both shows she introduced the Gershwin cover Summertime as being something they’d just recorded, but saying they didn’t know what to do with the new recording(s).

And, if we thought Crawl was Creedence-like, wait till you hear what ECR (Eilen Clearwater Revival) has cooked up for you next!

For her final encore last night, she performed another one of these new recordings, with a slightly altered lyric, as she wanted to “pick up a flat rock and skip it across the Boise River” (which is just about three blocks from the venue). :)

I asked her afterwards about this new mystery project, whether it was EP-length or LP-length and she said it was really just those two recordings for now, though they had tried an unspecified third cut. She said they might put them out as a 45 - who knows?

Sets:
    Eilen Jewell Setlist at Record Exchange, Boise
    Eilen Jewell Setlist at Visual Arts Collective, Garden City

My latest acquisitions:
    [​IMG]

Finch Platte, Dennis Metz and Jackson like this.
  21. Jackson

Thanks for the posts, i so cannot wait to hear Eilen's cover version of ''Green River'' be it live or studio, a 45 with ''Summertime'' as the flip side would be fabulous. The 19th of October can't come soon enough, that's when i'll be seeing her, at The Narrows. This is the venue where her great live double CD was recorded, and for which i was in attendance.

Dennis Metz and mrjinks like this.
  22. mrjinks

That might be my favorite release to date; although I don’t yet have all her albums - slowly getting there... The band really gets to stretch on that live set!

Edit: I should have mentioned... The band filmed their set at the record store here. I was right next to one of the camera guys, and he said they were recording with an eye to releasing a video at some point. Hope so!

Jackson likes this.
  23. mrjinks

24. Jackson

That particular release is a guitar lover's feast, and it contains definitive versions of ''Bang, Bang, Bang, Dusty Box Car Wall, and Where They Never Say Your Name'' just to name a few. The album ''Sea Of Tears'' is also very guitar driven, it not only has some of Jerry's best solos and overall playing, but also some of Eilen's best songs, i highly recommend it.....if you haven't heard it.

mrjinks likes this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mine arrived today :cheers:

[​IMG]

Jackson and mrjinks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.