Snowfall series on FX

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Cupids_bow, Aug 1, 2019.

1. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Dubmart likes this.
  2. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain Thread Starter

I’ve wondered that myself.

Shawn and Dubmart like this.
  3. Cupids_bow

I really enjoyed the scene when Avi was reminiscing about the first time he met Franklin and imparting some wisdom that only a gangster could. Made Avi look human and fatherly if only for a moment.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I thought they'd already slightly changed Avi's character when him and Teddy were in Germany and he was torturing a suspected Nazi, I'm not saying that made him a better person, but at least he was doing it for the right reason rather than money or fun, I think the loss of John Singleton really hit the show, but this season it's really back on form.

I also can't believe how few people watch it, over here the BBC have shown all previous seasons, but put them on BBC2 very late at night when few are watching, I've had to find alternative methods to keep up.

One other thing, since the beginning the show has had a great soundtrack, possibly because I own nearly everything they play I really enjoy that aspect of the show.

Shawn and Cupids_bow like this.
  5. dude

dude Senior Member

Just finished watching The Iliad pts 1&2. I thought the diversion was welcome even if Disney crept in a little bit with some of the scenes. So the guy that got out of prison and organized the hit was in season 1?

Cupids_bow likes this.
  6. Cupids_bow

From Season 2.

7. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The "lion" and the "trip out" episodes were quite left turns for this show, but because the acting is so stellar, it was an easy sell. I think this show is fantastic!

8. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

First reaction to the tripping was that it was a cheap trick, but they executed it really well. Excellent episode.

Shawn, ex_mixer and sberger like this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Most show would not be able to pull it off, but yes, they did a great job with it.

10. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Recent interview:

DementedAvenger, Shawn and Dubmart like this.
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Really nice to hear his English accent which I'm surprised is still so strong and I could see him as Eddie Murphy.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  12. Boom Operator

Boom Operator Shake hands with yesterday's tomorrow

I was the boom operator on season five of Snowfall and am pleasantly surprised to learn that the wedding sequences came off so well… they seemed a little disjointed when we shot them.

As there were some technical issues during the Damson speaking with himself business at the Alpine Drive location, a day was scheduled at the end of principal production to reshoot that bit. However, we were all advised just before the season wrapped that the editors were able to make the original Beverly Hills footage work.

I’ve never seen one second of the show but it appears to get fantastic ratings.

Damson is one of the most talented and nicest people with whom anyone could ever hope to work. And, yes, no matter how often one heard it (which was not very often), his natural accent always came as a surprise!

~Huck

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's a real gem of a show, I'm relly surprised it's never got a higher profile, though suspect the subject matter somewhat limits its audience and Damson is excellent, in a very good cast and will hopefully have a very successful future career.

Boom Operator and Shawn like this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Strangely, this show went ENTIRELY under my radar, and I am always looking for quality TV programming in this genre.

Anyway, I finally came on board a couple of weeks ago and I've gone through most of the first two seasons. REALLY good.

I am not a fan of all the "underrated" threads, but if you're looking for shows that are far better than their presence in the mainstream would suggest, this has got to be high on the list.

Dubmart, Boom Operator and Shawn like this.
  15. Cupids_bow

I had no idea Damson is English, makes his performance even more impressive. I chuckled when he mentioned Snoop Dogg.

JJFlash and Dubmart like this.
  16. Cupids_bow

Great insight, as fans of the show any insider tidbits are always welcome. Thanks for posting.

Boom Operator likes this.
  17. Cupids_bow

A lot happened on Ep 9. I'm dying to know who Ruben is exactly, is he CIA or KGB? What's his connection with Cissy? Hmm...

sberger and Shawn like this.
  18. I’m thinking KGB. But another great episode, will be very interesting to see what Teddy plots in episode 10. And I really like the character of Avi - I hope he’s not finished.

Cupids_bow and sberger like this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks so much for this!

Curious as to why you haven't watched the show?

20. Boom Operator

Howdy:

I’d never actually ever heard of Snowfall until I did a pilot (a Greg Kinnear and Courteney Cox thing that went nowhere) with the guy who had mixed the past few seasons. His boom man decided he wanted to do a different show and I was just back from a movie in North Carolina with nothing else lined up… so season five of Snowfall fit in nicely.

I don’t subscribe to any streaming services (or have cable for that matter) so I’m not sure how I’d watch Snowfall even if I felt the urge. Heck, I still haven’t watched Dunkirk, War Dogs or anything else I’ve boomed in the past ten years or so!

I’m pretty much all about Blu-rays of movies from the ‘30s–‘60s… which, obviously, just means I’m old! ;)

~Huck

[​IMG]

Dubmart and Shawn like this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Ok makes sense. It's a very good series. Blu-Ray and dvd are out there FWIW.

Shawn and Boom Operator like this.
  22. Boom Operator

I was actually specifically referring to viewing season five… but I get what you are saying. :)

~Huck

[​IMG]

Dubmart, Cupids_bow and Shawn like this.
  23. Now that is an awesome poster!

24. Cupids_bow

Nice!

25. Cupids_bow

I feel the same about Avi, he’s like the village chieftain dispensing wisdom to the young’ens. He might be old but he’s still dangerous.