so how do you clean your vinyl albums?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wombat Reynolds, Jul 28, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

After years of the Project VC, which worked pretty well, I use the HumminGuru US machine along with the "Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions Enzymatic Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine Concentrate " instead of distilled water. Think I got that tip from someone on a thread here. Thanks SHF! TBH, the Guru wasn't any better than the Project VC with plain distilled water. The Audio Intelligent solution makes a big difference. My records are clean as hell now. The Guru is so easy to use, is hands off, effective and quiet. With the Project I'd sometimes get some fuzz or lint after the cleaning, which I think came from the underside of the vacuum wand. All good now, I actually enjoy cleaning records, whereas before with the Project VC it was a chore that wasn't guaranteed to 100% effectively clean.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  2. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I used to be crazy when it came to cleaning vinyl records. I used one of those big vacuum cleaning machines. And I bought so many different stuff and mixed. My home looked like I was more into science than music. But at the end I found the records just becoming worse than before cleaning. So much noise and static. Did not matter what I did. So now all I use is a anti static brush on each side of the record while playing, and sometimes a anti static gun. And I also use a Zerodust (which is like a soft little pillow that you put your needle on before playing to remove all dirt from it). My records have never sounded so good! And now my vacuum cleaning machine is just standing in the corner beneath a table... I am gonna sell it some day, but to lazy.

Cleaning records is overrated! And not really needed as long as you take care of the records with a brush.

paulmock and Phil Thien like this.
  3. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

If there's a lot of dust I'll give it a pass under my kitchen RO tap before using my Record Doctor V.

4. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Yep nothing cleans the groove as effectively as a clean stylus.

5. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

You’ve never bought a used record then :D

iloveguitars, lazydawg58 and hman like this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

7. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yep.

8. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

Lots of times. About half the records I buy are used.

9. coolhandjjl

And none of them have snap, crackle and pop? You must be lucky!

10. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Wow! The thing is that there's no snake oil when it comes to cleaning records- it's all about chemistry and physics and nothing more. I care for my collection, I store the records properly and I clean my records (new or used) when I get them. The RCM I've isn't a super expensive one, I've an Okki Nokki that I purchased around 10 years ago and I consider it to be one of the best investments I've made through the years for my sound system as well as my records. I look at my RCM as an integrated part of the sound system. IMO I applied lots of common sense back when I got my beloved Okki Nokki.

About record clamps; they are an integrated part of my vinyl rig with the two Michell decks I use. I see/hear benefits using those clamps, more benefits than disadvantages so I choose to use them as recommended by the manufacturer.

11. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

Ofcourse they have, but I find it getting even worse after you "clean" them. I think the best thing to do is to always take care of the record from the beginning then there is no need to "clean" a record.

12. coolhandjjl

If it gets worse, you are doing something wrong. The used records I get always improve after a few trips trough my Kirmuss usm.

And I do on rare instances get a dirty/noisy new LP. Again, a few trips trough my Kirmuss usm takes care of that.

But once clean, they shouldn't need any additional.

13. Tubby

Tubby Well-Known Member

Disco-Antistat and a solution of distilled water and just a dash of 99% isopropyl alcohol. Doesn't clean to an microlevel detail, but it works pretty darn good overall. It's saved some records I thought were a lost cause.

Lenny99 likes this.
  14. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

VPI 16.5 usually for all new records added to my collection.

If a record is particularly noisy or dirty, I go Spin Clean > VPI 16.5 > overnight wood glue, then repeat the washing process again. Usually cleans things up nice. I've restored what looked like goners to VG+ even VG++ status.

15. Texado

Texado Aspiring Audiophile

that's what I don't understand, I recently came into a large vinyl collection after a 40 years absence and wonder how we enjoyed our records so much in the 60's and 70's without elaborate record-cleaning machines priced in the thousands and elaborate power- conditioners, again, many priced into the thousands of dollars .

dwilpower likes this.
  16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Uncleaned vinyl in the ‘60s and ‘70s was like streaming is today, for most people; most people don’t know better sound quality is possible.

Lenny99 and GyroSE like this.
  17. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

That guy isn't cleaning his records. He's barely pushing the dust around.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The vinyl has only been touched by the inner sleeve, turntable mat, or stylus. New records are new, used records are cleaned and stay clean.
    If you know how to handle a record without touching the play surfaces, your records will never get "dirty". I clean used records with warm water a little detergent/alcohol mix and microfiber pad.

19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My answer is vacuum RCM with a good cleaning solution, but I’ve been lazy and not cleaned a record in a couple of years now. Part of that is how loud the vacuum is and how slightly inconvenient it is to assemble the apparatus for use (I have one of the manual-style ones you use with your own wet/dry vac). I think if I could get it into the budget, a more expensive stand-alone RCM, or, better still, something like a Degritter, would get more use.

I’ve been finding new records more reliably clean-ish than they were a few years ago. I don’t know if that’s luck of the draw or an actual decrease in the number of records put in shed-y paper sleeves with all manner of crap on them.

GyroSE likes this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What about dust?

Chris Schoen likes this.
  21. Chris Schoen

Carbon fiber brush, used right before play.

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I do the same. That won’t necessarily get dust that has settled down into the groove, though. And some records come from the factory already dirty.

gakerty, GyroSE, Lenny99 and 2 others like this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Yeah, I don't have much problem with dust. If there is no static, and your records are clean, you can practically blow the dust off.

dwilpower and Big Blue like this.
  24. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

True, if you never buy a used record, and never buy a new record that has paper flecks, dust, vinyl or metal remnants in the grooves. Otherwise I'd advise a good cleaning that includes vacuum and rinse with distilled water after each application of solution. But hey that's just me.

Big Blue likes this.
  25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

If you’re buying an expensive RCM with the intention of cleaning a couple dozen records and then never buying any more, sure, that might not make sense. If you own enough records, though, they are still going to have cost substantially more than most of the machines people actually buy (I really don’t think most people are buying the ones that cost thousands…). Choosing to make a purchase as part of a hobby is not something that would typically prompt me to call a person “a fool” regarding how that person has spent some money.

Calvin_and_Hobbes and GyroSE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.