So how full is your DVR?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jlocke08, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I wonder what changed their mind since they did eventually bring those recorders to the US market. I think Magnavox may have made one of the last hard drive/DVD recorders - I bought one from Walmart in 2012 and still occasionally use it do transfers of mostly home movies made from my camcorders.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Magnavox was connected to Philips, so my guess is maybe they weren't subjected to the agreement that the EIAJ had made. Panasonic did have some hard drive/DVD recorders, but they were hard to find. Some models were sold through their "professional" division, so again they weren't popular. I think perhaps another factor was they were a bit complicated to use.

The key thing is that they got very antsy with the idea of recording (say) cable or satellite movies on a DVR, and then immediately making a permanent copy. The 1984 Sony/Universal Betamax lawsuit decision decreed that it was fair use for people to record off-air, but it becomes more cloudy when you consider Pay TV, satellite, streaming, and so on. Permanent copies on disc were another question not answered by the court.

JohnBeas likes this.
  3. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

I have youtube tv so its unlimited! but i have probably over 150 movies on there lol

4. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

I am always between 80% and 90%. I have 150 film noir movies stored and want all of them. I wish I could burn all of them onto a DVD but I have no technical skills to make that happen. It is a sad situation.

John B Good and Eric_Generic like this.
  5. Django

Django Forum Resident

I think I have 7% free at the moment. I'm always recording old TV shows when I'm at work, so I'm constantly running out of space. There are two Tarkovsky films I've need to watch. They take up a lot of DVR real estate.

6. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

We have a Tivo though our cable provider and it fluctuates between 60 & 70%.

I like streaming but wife likes cable and the bill keeps creeping up. I threw up my hands and sprung for a Bolt & a couple Minis this week. If those work out maybe we'll start recording more as the cable co just threw us Showtime & TMC free for a year.

My bad for not doing this a while ago as owning verses renting the gear should pay for itself over a couple years.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a portable HD works best for me...

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool wife! my wife loves them as well...so do I!

9. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

0%. I don't have one.

Free-to-air TV is so terrible that I wouldn't ever contemplate recording anything from it. And I don't have Foxtel (eg. cable). Everything is on-demand streaming for me.

10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Australia needs to get in on PBS. The U.K. seems to be in. We get some Brit stuff on PBS.

11. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Always in the 90%+ area.

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Mostly it's Golf that I never find the time to watch.

EG.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

5%. Constantly watching & deleting.

Bingo Bongo and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not a lot on there right now, since network television production has been recovering from Hiatus Fever. My "nerd DVR" is downstairs, where it's still to chilly to watch comfortably in a short-sleeved shirt. So, catching up on the sci-fi and super-hero shows I don't watch with my wife is a slow slog. We've been gravitating towards streaming programming lately anyway, and when she's latched onto "her shows", I'm in here catching up on my reading.

I do tend to go through the TiVo's three weeks or so, deleting the news programs I haven't had time to watch.

If I want a backlog of programming to feel guilty about, well, there's that couple of shelves of silver discs in the media room, awaiting me to coax her downstairs for something that was worth paying for and owning.

15. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Always in the red. Gotta bring it down to 70%. Go on vacation and it’s back up

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  16. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

I was referring mainly to commercial TV. Australia's public broadcaster, the ABC, does make some good shows - and broadcasts a lot of BBC programs - but I can watch them on iView, the ABC's video on demand service.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  17. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

When ever it gets to around 90%, I usually take it back down to 50%.

18. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

60% full now. Several music performances I want to transfer before the hard drive crashes. I've lost many recordings due to DTV crashes. I'm on my fourth DTV DVR, and it's starting to get audio dropouts, the first sign of a pending crash.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I'm at about 50%. Lots of movies I haven't gotten round to. I'm keeping some old SNL repeat episodes because of musical guests; Bowie, Prince, others.

maui jim likes this.
  20. Django

Django Forum Resident

15% free right now.

21. Detroit Rock Citizen

Last night it was 99% full. I removed a full 50%

22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I envy your ruthlessness!

EG.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  23. Detroit Rock Citizen

Most of it is Episodic TV. My girl doesn't get out of work until 8:00 PM and most of them are recorded for that reason. I do keep the current season of the Blacklist on hand.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and I hate them! :p

Michael likes this.
  25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I was wondering if Tivo in the US was still a thing. Tivo in Canada no longer
    exists to my knowledge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.