So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

At the time I may have agreed with you but with hindsight I think these songs have aged pretty well, esp with Smooth Criminal as I just really dig that track. Looking back at '88 overall, it was actually a pretty strong year for pop music quality - IMO at least.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree on both counts (too long, too much technology). The songs were certainly strong at the core. Who is to blame? Did Quincy try to reign these songs in at all and push for a more organic approach? Or was he pushing the technology? I can imagine Michael basically could do whatever he envisioned at This point. Anyone know the story?

Grant likes this.
  3. Juggsnelson

@Grant has valid points. I still love most of the songs as is but a little editing and a real band behind them would make these tunes even better.

Bobby Buckshot and Grant like this.
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

This album seemed all over the map so there are tunes I like but several I roll my eyes at. I've already stated I generally don't care for his rock stuff but Smooth Criminal actually is interesting and has some oomph without being too bloated. By this point, I was becoming tired of his public persona and antics and his music would never interest me like before.

Bobby Buckshot and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

My favorite MJ song.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. Juggsnelson

I KNOW you have this picture sleeve!:righton:

7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Totally agree on this.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Many of them!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Michael Jackson- In the Closet (7" Edit)/The Mission Radio Edit
    UK ISSUE Poster Sleeve
    This track co-written and produced by Teddy Riley hit #6 in the USA and #8 in the UK in 1992. The "mystery girl" on the duet is Princess Stephanie of Monaco (I visited Monaco earlier this year, but no great story of her and I tearing this one up at a local karaoke bar). Naomi Campbell redid the vocal lines for the video. Right off the bat, the Teddy Riley percussion sound hits you. Sparse, cold and in your face. It really works well here against Jackson's vocal and Stephanie's pillow talk. A very sensual song for Michael and it is very good. I Love the chorus. Despite the title, the lyrics make it plainly clear this is about a steamy heterosexual relationship. This one stands out for me years later and has aged well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mylene, ascot and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. Juggsnelson

Michael Jackson-Heal the World (7" edit)/She Drives Me Wild
    This track from Dangerous reached #2 in the UK but only #27 in the USA in 1992. This song always sounded like it was recorded for a TV Special and it definitely has a We Are the World vibe to it. I also hear young Michael here more than on any of his other adult singles. A nice message but I never feel the need to put it on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mylene, Grant and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Michael Jackson/Janet Jackson-Scream (Def Radio Mix)/Scream (single edit)
    UK ISSUE Poster Sleeve
    This track hit #5 in the USA and #3 in the UK in 1995. Written by the Jackson's and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, it sounds like much of their work from Rhythm Nation. Another anti-media song, this one has a lot more bite to its message than Leave Me Alone. No jokes here, this is straight up anger and frustration. Michael sounds pissed here and that makes the track. This pairing would have been a bigger deal a few years earlier but it still sparked interest. The video in particular got lots of attention and is a pretty cool watch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mylene and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. Juggsnelson

Michael Jackson- You Rock My World
    This "comeback" single reached #10 in the USA and #2 in the UK in 2001. Chris Tucker featured on both the song and the extravagant video (also starring Marlon Brando). I remember feeling both the song and the video clip were a bit of a let down after the considerable hype. In retrospect, the track is a groovy mid-tempo R&B track. More than 15 years later, it sounds vibrant. Not amazing or jaw dropping but a fine song.
    [​IMG]

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I was also a bit underwhelmed by the song, but I like it. I was more disappointed in the overall album. It felt like MJ was following trends rather than setting or being above them.

I remember soon after the "Invincible" album came out, and all his legal issues subsided, that Quincy Jones was asked about working with MJ again. Q said [paraphrase] that he didn't have that much time left in his life, supposedly meaning that it takes MJ too long to make a record.:laugh:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is a fine song, and MJ did some fine ballads during the "Dangerous" era, but the album itself was marred IMO by too much Teddy Riley technology. But, hiring the Guy founder was a good move. It helped keep Michael's music fresh and relevant to a younger generation of who many today regard "Dangerous" MJ best work.

Mylene and Juggsnelson like this.
  15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The Dangerous album was a huge disappointment for me and I never bought another MJ record again. Maybe his time had simply passed or maybe all the unsavory tabloid rumors overwhelmed him. Whatever the case, my love affair with his music pretty much ended after this. Not the older stuff, just wherever he went after Bad.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. Juggsnelson

That is a good quote!! Sad that MJ is no longer with us as I see BET is honoring Quincy with a special.

Grant likes this.
  17. Juggsnelson

Millie Jackson- Hot! Wild! Unrestricted! Crazy Love (single version)/Shirt Instrumental Version
    I have many of Millie's fine LP's but only the one single. This track hit #99 in the UK in 1986. Not exactly a title that rolls right off the tongue. While listening, I can picture Millie singing this in a recording studio somewhere, hopeful of a career resurgence with a new 80's sound. This wasn't it. A pretty basic track that has Millie doing the heavy lifting. A good plan in theory but a hook or bridge to liven up the track would have been nice.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Rebbie Jackson-A Fork in the Road/Eternal Love
    A cover of the Miracles hit, this failed to make an impact on the pop charts. Rebbie does a nice job on this faithful rendition. It sounds as if it could have come directly from an episode of The Jackson Family Variety Hour...but in a good way! Production-wise, The harmonica sounds lifted right from the That's What Friends Are For sessions. All things said, I rather enjoy this.
    [​IMG]

19. Juggsnelson

Rebbie Jackson-Reaction/Instrumental
    The title track from the eldest Jackson's second LP, this reached #16 on the R&B charts in 1986. This up tempo track was made for the dance floors, where it was also a hit. A good beat and a catchy melody lift this above the norm. Sure it relies on the sounds of the day, but they never dominate the song or bog it down in "effects for effects sake". Rebbie has a very smooth delivery and the tracks are well produced.
    [​IMG]

20. Juggsnelson

Rebbie Jackson/Robin Zander-You Send the Rain Away (edit)
    PROMO
    Released in 1986, this interesting duet with the Cheap Trick vocalist failed to chart. Besides Zander, credits also list luminaries Preston Glass as a songwriter and Reggie Lucas as producer. Their voices blend very nicely and the mood is effectively upbeat and positive. Very surprising that this came and went without a trace.
    [​IMG]

21. Juggsnelson

Rebbie Jackson-Plaything/Distant Conversation
    Is it just me or does Rebbie look like she wasn't ready for this photo? Or she is smiling as if there is a gun to get head off camera? A top ten R&B hit in 1988, this was the lead single from Rebbie's third album R U Tuff Enuff. This sees Rebbie's sound being updated to New Jack Swing with fine results. Don't let the skin fool you, you only get a spot of time with Rebbie if you're serious.
    [​IMG]

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I have a couple of Millie Jackson singles, my favorite being the excellent "Ask Me What You Want" from 1972.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

She delivers the goods for sure! I have quite a few of her albums on the Spring label. Excellent stuff!

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Wow! You win the I've Got Lots Of Rebbie Jackson award! Both she and Millie are two Jacksons who have zero presence in my collection. I'm off to YT to see what I'm missing.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Rebbie's big hit, Centipede, was written by Michael. That's the tune I would check out.

team2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.