So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I thought Kleeer had some great singles ("Open Your Mind", "Winners", "She Said She Loves Me", "Running Back To You", "Tonight"...) but things never seemed to give them a foothold. They were a talented band that deserved better.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh sorry. I misread that post!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Huge talent! "Open Your Mind" I like a lot. They needed that one big single to break them through to a wider audience but it never came.

Bob J likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Not your fault and you bring up an interesting point. It is a bit confusing when the band's biggest hit isn't even mentioned on the cover of their only picture sleeve 45! Once the song took off, it was only re-released with Don't Close Your Eyes listed as the A Side on the UK 12", USA Cassingle, promo CD, and German 7". There wasn't an updated USA 7" release reflecting the songs hit status. I'm sure we would have gotten new artwork for the 7" had this been a few years earlier and not 1989. Plus, the label didn't intend to release the song at all. Atlantic never seemed to do right by Kix.

5. Juggsnelson

Klymaxx
    I Miss You/Video Kid
    This hit #5 USA and #89 UK in 1985. Despite only hitting #5, this track was the third biggest chart hit of 1986.
    I have to admit, I loved their earlier single "Meeting in the Ladies Room", but this one didn't hit me the same way at the time. I like it much more now.

Well produced....the acoustic guitar and bass sound very present. I dig the background vocals too. More than the song itself though, I miss the times when this was riding high on the charts.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot, Dan Steely and ascot like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Klymaxx
    Man Size Love/"remix"
    This reached #15 USA and #86 UK in 1986. It was taken from the film Running Scared starting Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines. I never pictured Crystal as a cop but the movie is very good. Hines always was enjoyable to watch.

This was a Rod Temperton track and you can hear his influence quite a bit.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and Glenpwood like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Klymaxx
    I'd Still Say Yes/Ask Me No Questions
    This reached #18 USA in 1987. The band gets a little assistance by way of co-writer Babyface and and backing vocalist Howard Hewett. It would be the band's last charting pop single.

You could probably guess by the title that this was going to be a ballad. It reminds me of "The First Time" by Surface. Hewett's vocals are a welcome addition. A bit lightweight but I enjoy it. There are some brief bursts of sax that heighten the melody but they come and go too fast. I'm surprised they didn't utilize that a bit more.

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Klymaxx
    Divas Need Love Too/"instrumental"
    This failed to chart on the Top 100 when released in 1987. Odd.....for a group that was marketed as playing their own instruments, they are not pictured with instruments on any of these sleeves.

You know what Divas don't need? Garish outfits and overly synthesized, tuneless pop songs....apparently they have these in strong supply. Even the band's usually reliable vocals are missing in action.

[​IMG]

9. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Mega like. My favorite single from the group. The 45 mix is perfect and better than the album & 12 inch mixes that have wound up on Klymaxx comps instead.

mosogotamravip, Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I have this single and I'm not sure why.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sappy ballad.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. Grant

Sappy ballad. This, and the other ballad represented things I didn't like about 80s music.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. Grant

A fine band with so much potential. Too bad they couldn't get along. Drummer Fenderella (Joyce Irby) was the leader with the sarcastic wit. She went solo on Motown a few years later.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Here's a group I'd forgotten all about and the kicker is I bought a couple of their albums and singles. I like their uptempo songs better than the whiny ballads with Man Size Love being my favorite.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. Juggsnelson

I get where you are coming from but I'm a sucker for them. I like this one...it reminds of "Make It Real" by The Jets.

16. Juggsnelson

The Knack
    My Sharona/Let Me Out
    This hit #1 USA and #6 UK in 1979. Man, this song was EVERYWHERE! Great picture sleeve, great song. I know it had been played to death but I love it. Always have. Its a blast to play along with too. The drummer slays on this song. Cool interplay between the two guitars too. I really enjoy the guitar solo where they switch up the melody only to drop right back into the original groove without missing a beat.

The second picture sleeve is the re-release from Reality Bites.

We can't play this and not mention My Bologna. Al's sound certainly got more polished over the years but those early songs are my favorites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surly, team2, Bobby Buckshot and 4 others like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

The Knack
    Good Girls Don't/Frustrated
    This hit #11 USA and #66 UK in 1979. Shocked this didn't break the Top Ten...I guess everyone was Knacked out. A shame because I like this song even better than Sharona. The lyrics are pretty humorous although you lose the raunchiest bits on this single version and instead get "She puts you in your place" amongst others...."it hurts!" lol. Another great sounding record too. The stacked vocals on the chorus are heavenly.

This is one I had to play a few times before putting it back on the shelf.
    [​IMG]

18. Juggsnelson

The Knack
    Baby Talks Dirty/End of the Game

I wonder if the band got to screen test the models for these photo shoots?

This lead single from the second LP only managed a weak #38 in the USA in 1980. One of the issues plaguing the song is apparent right from the get go. It sounds way too similar to My Sharona...with the addition of the cringe worthy moaning of Mr. Fieger. Songs about high school girls asking for a beating usually don't light up the charts. All of that being said, it still is one catchy number. Take out the moaning and it becomes a fun rocker. Not their best but still worth your time.
    [​IMG]

Surly, Bobby Buckshot, ascot and 2 others like this.
  19. Grant

This song had no impact on me when it came out. I had heard it on the radio once or twice, but it took a fellow drummer in high school to make me aware of it in the next couple of months. He was obsessed with it to the point that it annoyed me. I really love the song now, but my head was still into R&B at that point.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. Cleaning out our garage the other day I found my small collection of 45s from when I was a kid including vintage Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Roxy Music, So[with Camel etc. 45s with most of,the picture sleeves! I have a mission of cleaning this weekend then I will be spinning them!

21. Juggsnelson

The rhythm section parts are fun to play so a drummer living it makes total sense. It was one of the first songs I learned to play in bass, mainly because it was easy to hear the bass line.

Grant likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Awesome! Keep us posted. I don't think I have any Sopwith Camel 45's!!

23. I just have one. Still have the Picture sleeve as well. It’s a bit ragged.

24. Juggsnelson

Nice! They a hit....."Hello Hello" or something like that?

Grant likes this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

That first Knack album is a fun listen even though I have to cop to not playing any of it in decades. Lots of energy like Punk but tempered with a Pop sensibility for the masses. Building songs around a drum line like they do with My Sharona, Baby Talks Dirty and (She's So) Selfish was a thing around that time with other artists and songs like What I Like About You and even Mickey.

Juggsnelson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.