So I finally bit the bullet on a VPI 16.5 RCM after years of hand cleaning...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Jan 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

wow! yes, I know there are various methods of cleaning and everyone has an opinion, which is great. For me, I was using mofi fluid with the mofi felt brush while spinning the record at 45rpm on my VPI Prime Scout. No doubt my records got clean and I had to wait until they dried to spin them.

With this "new" machine (bought it used), the process is much quicker and dare I say better most likely. Using Disk Doctor fluid now with their brushes followed by a different DD brush with distilled water for rinsing. (a) much much quicker and (b) the vacuum COMPLETELY dries the record immediately with two spins. I LOVE THIS THING! If you're on the fence, get one of these!

G E, Andy Saunders, Coricama and 24 others like this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It is a total gamechanger. I wish I could have bought mine decades ago.

GyroSE, nosliw, HiFi Guy and 2 others like this.
  3. McGuy

I don't know why i waited this long! probably because i'm a cheap bastard but with all the McIntosh stuff I have and the VPI Prime Scout, it was just silly to scrimp on clean records. love this sucker!

4. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Congrats on the purchase. I wouldn't be without my 16.5 and Disc Doctor pads and solution.

HiFi Guy, Echoes Myron and mreeter like this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I bought mine 10 years ago. It still works like it was new.

6. McGuy

Do you "guys" use a different vacuum wand for cleaning and rinsing? seems like a pain in the **** that way but i keep reading that people switch their tubes...

mreeter likes this.
  7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

No I use the same wand for everything but different brushes for different fluids. My RCM is similar.

dbsea, Combination, snorker and 2 others like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is what I've been saying for years. But.. it took me years to finally get one. The VPI made my record playback much better and even made records that were unplayable NM. Absolutely paid for itself. I have had mine for many years now with no problems.

9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Agreed. Record playback has been seriously improved after cleaning.

10. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Love my VPI 16.5. Bought it used from a forum member here 8 or 9 years ago and it still works great.

I recently bought a separate wand for rinsing. It isn't an issue at all, very simple to switch them, it takes like 2 or 3 seconds. I use the same brush for washing and rinsing but I dab it to remove excess wash fluid before the rinse spin.

11. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

Yes. It was very popular back in 1987 as well. What was unfortunate was that even other reviewers did not have a record cleaning machine. When they finally got one, they were - as you were - shocked at the difference. I had one back then, and it made all the difference in the world.

McGuy, Echoes Myron and mreeter like this.
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The second "rinse" brush is worth the additional modest expense. Agree re switching out the wands. It takes no time.

katstep, recstar24, Veech and 2 others like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I use a Mofi brush for clean/scrub cycle(s), then the VPI brush for Aquafina rinse.

Same vacuum tube for both. I just replaced the vacuum tube after about 500 LPs. I replace the felt on the MOFI brush after 400.

waaguirr, McGuy and 5-String like this.
  14. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

If one is serious about Vinyl, I feel an it's an absolute must to own a RCM as well. A clean lp is obviously more pleasant to listen to and much better for your Stylus as well.

Purchased a used 16.5 many years ago, it came with two cleaning wands. I'm still using the same wands after cleaning 100's of lps. I just replace the felt strips when needed.

Satrus and 5-String like this.
  15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I'm a vacuum believer too.

16. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I've had a 16.5 for years. The only issue that the clear suction tube may become brittle and crack. Mine did.

Replace the tube with the optional black Delryn upgrade, and you'll be good to go. It won't become brittle and crack.

Clean the velvet strips with a piece of invisible scotch tape. When you need new strips, you can buy them on eBay. No need to buy another tube.

McGuy likes this.
  17. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I've had my VPI 16.5 for about 25 years now (back when they could be had for just above $300 new) and it still works as-new. I would probably give up on LPs at this point if I didn't have it. As others mentioned, it has completely transformed old records with very little effort.

McGuy likes this.
  18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

When I first got into vinyl and I was looking to upgrade my MMF-5 one of my friends told me I absolutely needed an RCM before I considered any other turntable related upgrade. He was so right, I've had that VPI through five or six turntables and it was the single best vinyl related purchase.

recstar24 likes this.
  19. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

Orignally used Disk washer system(which I still use the pad) when I had direct drive TT (80's).My first belt drive was Nottingham Verizon v2,I stepped into the VPI 16.5 maybe 15 yrs ago ,and Today with the VPI prime scout .Does an excellent job when I purchase used records witch isn't many anymore where I live.Records are dead silent on most..And it will outlast me.

20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

After using the VPI 16.5 and HW-27 at a local record store years ago, that totally convinced me to get an RCM after several methods of cleaning I tried that wound up being utterly useless and a waste of my time. Eventually, I got myself a used Nitty Gritty RCM for like a quarter of the retail price and been happy ever since.

McGuy likes this.
  21. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I used to use separate wands for cleaning and rinsing, but it is a pain. One of my wands cracked a few years ago and I started using one at that point.

McGuy likes this.
  22. McGuy

I have the disk doctor fluid and brushes and a LOT of replacement pads for them (like 12...). I like the fluid just fine, but someone also recommended AIVS #6 and #15 - more work involved but not a lot obviously. Might check that out after I finish this huge bottle of DD. I do have the extra suction wand already, so no expense there. Do you just pull up on the wand to take it out? I don't mean an extra tube- I mean I have an extra assembly with tube, if that makes sense.

23. McGuy

Does anyone here with the 16.5 VPI know how to replace the drain tube? looks like any connection is inside the unit, which does NOT look very serviceable without taking it apart, which I won't do. I was thinking I could just cut the tube a few inches from the back of the machine, add a john guess push in connector and then attach the new tube to that portion to that 90% of the tube is clean and new and easily replaceable in the future... and then another john guess connector with a shut off valve at the end for draining

24. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I tried a lot of different cleaning products before trying the AIVS three step system - Enzymatic, Super Cleaner, and Ultra Pure water. I actually do a second rinse so it is four steps for me. Some will argue over the need for Ultra Pure or lab grade water and a second rinse...it works for me and others. I'm lucky enough to work from home so most days I can clean a record or two.

Once the vacuum stops you can just pull up on the base the wand is attached to. I would hesitate to grab the wand as that could cause cracking.

Have fun with your 16.5!

McGuy likes this.
  25. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

What's wrong with the way it is? My hose hangs into a cup positioned on a shelf below my 16.5.

You won't be collecting much spent fluid anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.