So there's absolutely no way to play a CD in a new car without a phone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Panda, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, "march" forward is what I don't like. Technology can be a distraction. I don't like phones to begin with, so a "smart phone" is not what some people necessarily need.
    The cd player in my car died, so I just plug my iPod into the 1/8" mini jack, and hit shuffle.

JeffMo likes this.
  2. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I bought a used 2013 Mercedes for precisely that reason...and I kept my 2007 Audi S4 which has a six-disc CD/MP3 in-dash disc changer.

But the Merc gives me a six-disc in-dash DVD-A/DVD-V/CD/MP3 changer, along with an in-dash SD card slot, along with bluetooth audio, an aux connector, an (old style) iPod connector, a USB connector, and in-car 10 gig hard drive for ripping CDs to 256k MP3. Not to mention AM/HD-FM/satellite radio. And the sound system is 5.1 for DVD-A, DVD-V...and the DVD-A discs I make from the OPPO or PS3 rips I make from multi-channel SACDs.

It's ALL about the automotive sound system. Also, I tend to be slightly non-passive in the tech aspects that catch my fancy. (And, yes, I also have an Android smartphone with 512 gigs of internal storage.) But the car disc-changers are the thing. Pretty much every disc I run in either car is home-cooked from elements from my library.

3. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

As I've said before in other similar threads, I have found it far easier to bung a load of albums onto a USB drive in Satan's Format (car won't read WAV or FLAC),
    plug it into the USB port, which is nicely hidden in that otherwise annoying flip lid thing over the drive shaft (it sticks up and hits my elbow), rather than have a bunch of CDs flying around the car. And you can shift the drive around between cars incredibly easily.

Only problem is that EAC refuses to "see" a number of discs and both it and Winlame randomly re-assign album and track names.

Phone? The old dumb phone is fine for what I want, which is naff all.

Oh, our car does still have a CD player.

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

With top priority being driving safely, not critical listening.

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm more about safety myself.

Not that I'd be too happy with no audio options at all, but even the cheapest new cars these days will likely have an aux-in or BT connection.

7. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Bah, there's nothing like loading up for a roadtrip and with the right system it can indeed be at least an engaging listening environment. Monk at 80 MPH:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But we can slso plug in our phones or go bluetooth. Now, where to mount that 8-track player?????

JeffMo likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Pray tell, how DO you play a CD in a car with a phone?

Big Blue, JamieLang and curbach like this.
  9. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

Oh, for sure. I just meant that I wouldn't recommend a hi-res DAP if its only intended use was Bluetooth audio in the car. An iPod touch or similar would more than suffice.

ScottRiqui likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Replacement Speakers & a Sub, and it becomes an awesome listening space Ed! :edthumbs:

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

In a way, it can be a critical listening space. Think of how many records were mixed, then taken out to the car to be tested. For me, that's the big test if I'm working on something since it's where I listen to digital music the most. Not saying you can't do the same with a thumb drive, ipod, or whatnot. I still haven't gotten into those gadgets personally.

12. Joint Attention

Rip the CD to ALAC in iTunes, sync with iPhone, playback through CarPlay. The bits are identical.

13. Carl Swanson

I do that. But I'm not playing a CD.

Big Blue likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, my car has a CD player, as it's an '08, but I might use it once a year if I buy something used and want to play it on the drive home.

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Not sure if he was being a smart a$$ (which I totally understand :D) or he just didn't read the original post.

16. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Before I had an iPhone I just put my music on a thumb drive as Apple Lossless files. Worked like a charm and also gave you the ability to display cover art as well, if the car stereo was capable of doing so.

17. Joint Attention

Apparently you can use the CD slot to hold your phone. :D

[​IMG]

18. Limelakephoto

Limelakephoto Forum Resident

Me too.....as soon as I leave for work...680 news goes on....24/7.

couchguy likes this.
  19. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I have been experimenting with a Bluetooth receiver but it's driving me insane. It unpairs from the iPhone about every 20-30 minutes and trying to reconnect while driving at highway speed is damn dangerous. The sound quality is rather lacking as well. There is an AUX input with RCA inputs but Chrysler has some bug where if no sound (like between songs) is coming from the device it automatically switches back to the CD player. Another year and this piece of crap is going to the salvage yard.

I understand that in the Mark Levinson systems in Lexus, a CD player is part of the package.

20. Carl Swanson

Ooooohhhh . . . .kay . . .

21. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I haven't looked, but is one of those available for an 8-track deck? :cool:

troggy likes this.
  22. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

what i wanna know is, why a stock cruddy check 1500 cd player, lhas lasted me 10+ years, dust, dirt, bumps, etc etc,
    LASTS LONGER that a high dollar cd player??
    I've been through so many cd players past 15-20 years.
    yet my chevy cheap d player still plays no issues.

am i missing something..............????

i want to buy a car cd player, hook it up to my stereo, and have 30 years of flawless playback, or buy a 900$ tom,e spooner and after 3 years it breaks...

WTF IS THE ISSUE????????????????

SERIOUSLY !!!!!!!!!!

23. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

MY FIRST CAR HAD A BADARSE 8TRACK.
    i had the i think 74 or 76 gremlin, party mobile, had 3-4 8 tracks
    motorhead
    styx
    judas priest
    kiss

maybe 1 or 2 more.......at this moment, cant remember.

24. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

My latest company car doesn't have a CD player or an aux input. Often I play Audible audio books from a Sansa Clip+ - I had to buy an FM transmitter for it. The fidelity is only good enough for audio books, so I use my phone for music via Bluetooth.

25. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I just bought a 2016 Buick Enclave to replace my worn out 2009 Enclave. The 2016 at least has a CD player, but it doesn't have the DVD-Audio player that my 2009 had. I hated to give up the DVD-Audio capability.

unclefred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.