So what's the best version of Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I just got the 4 DCC's. Obviously Soft Parade was canceled for DCC release. So should I get the new HDCD remasters or the previous remasters of these 2 titles?

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

That's the concensus by practically everyone. I did have a MH target a while back that sounded very "organic" but the latest remasters do sound very, very nice. Safe to proceed! :righton:

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I still prefer the sound of MH's original CD pressing, but then, I was happy with the old red label vinyl, too. :D

I think most listeners won't mind the remasters.....

:ed:

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Red label big-E Elektra LPs, particularly Soft Parade, are scrumptious.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I prefer the HDCD's over the old CD's. However, my 80's pressing of MH still rules.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...the SP & MH HDCD's are excellent, close to the SH DCC's...VERY Close!:)

7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

HDCD's!? When did these come out?

I got both MH and TSF "Remastered from the original 2 track masters to 96KHZ 24 bit digital by Bruce Botnick and Ernie Grundman at Ernie Grundman Mastering, August 1999". But they say nothing about HDCD. Are there newer pressings than the 1999 ones I have?

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

John, the '99 remasters are the current discs, and they are encoded in HDCD. Unfortunately, many HDCD discs do not show the HDCD logo. Go to www.hdcd.com for a list of all compatible titles.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I checked my copies this morning and there is no HDCD logo on the case, nor did the HDCD indicator on my CD player light up. I have the '99 remasters. Is it possible there are two versions floating around, one with HDCD and without? Either way, I still like the '99 versions better than the old one from the 80s.

10. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I have the box set (HDCD encoded) and I think "Soft Parade" and Morrison Hotel" sound great. Then again I have nothing to compare them to. Personally, I think "Soft Parade" is a very underrated album of their's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.