Solid state warm up time?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Uglyversal, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Wisdom/sense:cheers:

timind likes this.
  2. macster

macster Forum Resident

Pretty much. Life is short.

M~

The Pinhead and timind like this.
  3. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I go for the active warm up. Turn it on, put on an LP or slap in a disc, turn volume up.

The Pinhead, macster and timind like this.
  4. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yeah, but how hard is it to push a power button at say 6pm if you know you want to listen starting at 7pm?

And if you don't, if you forget or maybe you just get the urge to listen immediately, I doubt anyone is actually wringing their hands about not warming up their gear.

timind likes this.
  5. macster

macster Forum Resident

The converse is (IMHO) what is the end game? To listen to the music or to "wait" for the optimal conditions and then listen to the music . My life doesn't work like that. I listen when I get the chance, and my life doesn't always allow me to "wait".

M~

timind and TheVinylAddict like this.
  6. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

For me solid state warm-up time is probably in line with me feeling warmed up. In other words, if I'm right in the mood then the equipment is fine from the get-go, whereas if I need a while to settle in then mysteriously so does the equipment. Maybe my brain's solid state :confused:

7. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Of course, but it's not all or nothing. I haven't signed a contract that says I can only listen when the system is warmed up. Just that I will let it warm up if I have some extra time and I remember to. Like if I plan to go work out for an hour and then listen after that. I can just hit the power button and go. Then when I am finished the system is ready.

To your point, if I decide to listen out of the blue, I will listen to it cold. I wouldn't find something else to do if what I really want to do is listen, just because the system hasn't warmed up yet.

MGW and Uglyversal like this.
  8. macster

macster Forum Resident

It's all in what you want to do. I'm really busy, so when I get the chance I listen. To me, it's warmed up after the turn-on relays kick in. I record the same way, it was one of main drivers to switch from tubes to SS, I just turn it on and get it on. If my system wasn't able to move me musically within a few moments after being turn on, I would be making changes. But that's just me and how I do it. A person can do what they want to. It's not going to kill anyone.

I would beg to ask, do you wait to watch your TV after you turn it on, just sayin'?

M~

Morbius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.