Solo albums that used multiple members from their main band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BryanA-HTX, Jul 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Colin Blunstone's first few solo albums have lots of input from Rod Argent and Chris White.

BadJack likes this.
  2. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Frank Zappa’s Lumpy Gravy, his first solo album and the only one released while the (original) Mothers Of Invention were active, featured Jimmy Carl Black, Roy Estrada, Bunk Gardner, and Motorhead Sherwood (billed as Larry LaFonga), though only Bunk actually played on the album.

3. Zoot Marimba

Well, Gimme Some Neck featured Mick, Keith, and Charlie, and that was after Ronnie joined the band.

Speaking of Ronnie, he and everyone else in Faces appear on Rod’s early 70s solo albums.

4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Wasn't Dave Davies' aborted "solo" album basically a Kinks album in all but name? Did anyone play on that album who wasn't a Kink?

Derrick Anderson has been a session/touring bassist for several groups including the Smithereens and the Bangles, and he used to front a group called the Andersons! (the exclamation point is part of the name). His solo album A World of My Own has a track with all the Bangles on it; another with all the Smithereens; and a third with the reunited Andersons! performing.

Chuckee likes this.
  5. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Richie Hayward & Bill Payne of Little Feat both played on Lowell George’s solo album Thanks, I’ll Eat It Here.

Bobby with a dollar likes this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

Fred Tackett as well, even though he wasn’t an official member until the band got back together.

munjeet and Bobby with a dollar like this.
  7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Rufus rag, Mother and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Roger Waters - The Final Cut ;)

9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Mike Botts and Larry Knechtel of Bread both play on David Gates' 1973 solo l.p. 'First'.

10. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Peter Hammill and the Van Der Graaf members.

Putrifiers II and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Then Over featured Graham Smith, Nic Potter and Guy Evans then they turned around and recorded Quiet Zone.

Putrifiers II and altaeria like this.
  12. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

13. Zoot Marimba

• Gregg Rolie’s first two solo albums featured Carlos Santana and Neal Schon, his third with Neal and Michael Cabarello.
    • Neal Schon’s Beyond The Thunder features Cabarello and Chepito from Santana, as well as Jonathan Cain and Steve Smith from Journey.
    • John “Drumbo” French’s City Of Refuge features Zoot Horn Rollo, Rockette Morton, and John Thomas (who was in the Magic Band when the original Bat Chain Puller was recorded).

Instant Dharma and altaeria like this.
  14. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Ace- Bob Weir’s album (1972) was really a Grateful Dead record. Garcia, Lesh, Kreutzmann and Keith & Donna Godchaux all played on the album and contributed to the production. Only Pigpen didn’t participate.

Rolling Thunder- Mickey Hart’s solo album (1972) also featured Grateful Dead members, however many other Bay Area musicians participated as well. Of course, Mickey had left the band in 1971 until his return in 1974.

Reflections- Jerry Garcia (1976) was a hybrid Grateful Dead / JGB album and features the Dead on half of the album tracks.

GoodKitty likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and also on 'so what'.

16. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Yeah and Duff's Believe in Me and Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars also have members of GNR .

The solo albums show that GNR could've recorded a pretty good album in that timeframe.

pexie likes this.
  17. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Yes that one too but I was trying to go with the OP’s preference for an example where the artist is concurrently in the band.

18. Kelly Groucutt's solo album featured several of his ELO bandmates, including Bev Bevan, Richard Tandy and Mik Kaminski, with Louis Clark handling string arrangements. For some promotional appearances, Dave Morgan was also present, meaning that only Jeff Lynne was missing to complete their main group's line-up of the time. (Kelly's unreleased second album, Lights Out, included the same personnel.)

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:tiphat:

20. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Barry Goudreau of Boston released a solo album in 1980 that included contributions from Brad Delp, Sib Hashian and Fran Cosmo

Rufus rag likes this.
  21. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Ringo's fantastic drumming on John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is one of highlights of his career. He's also all over All Things Must Pass and Living In The Material World. George lends some excellent slide guitar to four songs on Imagine. Someone already mentioned the excellent Ringo album, which is one of the best examples.

22. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Phil Manzanera's solo albums Diamond Head, K-Scope and 801/Listen Now include pretty much all the Roxy Music members except Bryan Ferry, as well as a ton of musicians from other prog/art rock bands.

Rufus rag likes this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Also on the followup albums Never Let Her Go and Goodbye Girl.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. gazzaa2

gazzaa2 Forum Resident

Ghost of Tom Joad had a few of the E Street Band.

25. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

3 different solo artists, same band.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Farmer Mike and detroit muscle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.