Solo Beatles-it would've been a masterpiece "IF"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'll take a run at "London Town ", which I think is one of his half dozen weakest albums, but... it's vastly improved by adding a trio of top notch tracks that didn't make the album proper.

I end up with a short 10 track album & I jettisoned 7 songs, or half of the original album.

Level I:
    With A Little Luck
    *Waterspout
    *Mull Of Kintyre
    *Girl's School

Level II:
    London Town
    Name & Address
    I'm Carrying
    I've Had Enough
    Backwards Traveler
    Don't Let It Bring You Down

humpf likes this.
  2. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

Wow! That is some statement. I like "Ram," but I just don't hear that at all.

Still, I'm glad more people are discovering it. As time goes on, I think it will be viewed as the best album of what was otherwise a monumentally disappointing solo career.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  3. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Not “at this point.” From the beginning.

4. Curious?
    Most especially- No "A Love For You"?
    But also- ... or even "Oh Woman Oh Why?"?

5. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Yeah, The Beatles are still my favorite band but if I were making an account on here today I'd probably make my username mccartneyfan1985

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I think with Ram - & even more so Plastic Ono Band- you could make a case they are better than the early albums up to and including Help. From Rubber Soul to Abbey Road forget about it

7. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Oh Woman & A Love For You are certainly contenders . I used to add Love For You, but it's lyric & vocal is pretty unfinished.

linclink likes this.
  8. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Red Rose Speedway (41.18). Actually put this together and it hangs rather well and better balanced, much better than what was released IMO.

1-Big Barn Bed
    2-My Love
    3- Get On The Right Thing
    4-Mama's Little Girl
    5-Little Lamb Dragonfly

6-Single Pigeon
    7- When The Night
    8-Little Woman Love
    9- Hi Hi Hi
    10- Country Dreamer
    11- I Lie Around

johnny moondog 909 and linclink like this.
  9. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I hope and pray Paulie does a little re-imagining on a box set thingy, and gives us just that along with it being a stand alone lp.

10. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Watersprout is alright, but for me the album cannot stand without te final track and I have a soft spot for Cafe on th eLeft Bank.

johnny moondog 909 and linclink like this.
  11. Nice one! That's very close to my 12 track version, with 9 songs in common...
    The differences being:
    "Live & Let Die", "C Moon" & "The Mess"
    vs.
    "When The Night" & "Single Pigeon"

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  12. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Getting back to improving Ram for a minute.

I'll be branded a heretic for this but...

The best solution I've heard for improving Ram, first, yes, add Another Day & make 1-2 track substitutions, dropping 3 Legs or 1-2 weaker tracks, perhaps adding A Love For You & or Oh Woman Oh Why.

But here's the secret weapon, ( IF ) a good copy of the Ram-Thrillington mash ups exists, ( I've only heard ) mediocre attempts at excecution the Ram-Thrillington mashups.

But they elevate perhaps half of the more Rocky & sparsley produced tracks & make them sound fuller & richer, more like the produced tracks, Uncle Albert etc.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about. Several enterprising fans, have taken the instrumental version of Ram, called Thrillington, & blended these orchestral tracks, with McCartney's original Ram album. It doesn't work on every track, but on Smile Away, 3 Legs & a couple others, it enhances the production.

It's simply adding Richard Hewsons orchestral scores to bolster the empty raw backing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.