Something New from Led Zeppelin Being Mastered Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tmtomh, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Maybe it’s the long awaited Jimmy Page solo album!

:biglaugh:

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed. The sonics on the half-dozen Earls Court tracks on the 2003 DVD are really good - miles away from any of the bootleg sources. Would be a treat to get a full (or nearly full) Earls Court show in that quality, even if there were some edits and the show was a composite of multiple shows.

Sean, RK2249, aphexj and 6 others like this.
  3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Listen To This Eddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!

:righton::righton::righton:
    Beave

4. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

If you did your teen years in the 70's you recognize these people.

Jimijam likes this.
  5. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Gotta say, the digital version of the Southampton University show that I have sounds mighty nice to me. And it’s fun, as they play a good number of Zep IV tracks (e.g., Stairway) for an audience that has never, to that point, heard those numbers. So, fun!

Sean, tmtomh and warewolf95 like this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a unique show because it was played in an intimate venue, so it's intimate, and it's a pretty fun and loose performance. And as you say, the sound quality is excellent. It's not a great performance by 1973 standards, but it's not bad either and has some great moments - most notably the How Many More Times-Communication Breakdown encore - whew!

There are two problems, though, that make me think this show will never see the light of day as an official release:
    1. Plant's voice is in rougher shape than it was for the Song Remains the Same, How the West Was Won, Earls Court, and Knebworth - and unlike all of those, there is no 2nd (or 3rd) night's recording that could be used to swap in Plant's best vocal snippets.
    2. The "Stairway" mellotron part from this show already was used as a "fly in" on How the West Was Won. And I just don't see Page releasing a show with duplicated audio on it (and I don't see him releasing this show without Stairway).

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  7. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

My favorite moment is when Plant gently teases the audience about maybe bringing some women to the show, next time.

tmtomh and bartels76 like this.
  8. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The guy is from the future, and time traveled back to the concert to film it on his 3D Smart Phone..

I've contacted him (don't ask how) and he said he would e-mail me a copy. :cool:

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I don't think they sounded bad at all! For me I don't even look at the digital/analog label, to me its all about the sound and it is very clear and well EQ'd to me

Panama Jack likes this.
  10. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Yep! Graduated 1975.

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I'm hoping Jimmy is giving us yet more "alternate mixes" that are barely discernible from the 'official' studio versions. See the recent remaster of "In Through The Out Door" for an example.

Sean, audiotom, mark renard and 2 others like this.
  12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

A Led Zep Christmas album! AWESOME!! :D

Sean likes this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Southampton is too uneven to receive an exclusive release (the vocals in particular are a real problem). It certainly has some great performances, but it is difficult to imagine JP putting together a live release solely consisting of Southampton performances (let alone Plant signing off on it). Still, it would be nice to see some of the highlights officially issued in some capacity -- I thought a couple of tracks would have been interesting inclusions on the HOTH companion disc.

I remember Kevin Shirley raving to ICE Magazine about The Rain Song:

shepherdfan, Jimijam and tmtomh like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Featuring the fan favorite "Ho Ho Whole Lotta Love."

;)

Sean, audiotom, Mowgli and 4 others like this.
  15. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Bonddm likes this.
  16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

17. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

He was out parking the cars :p...

I thought that as well... but what could they release for such an occasion? HTWWW on vinyl is a prime candidate for sure, but any Earl's Court album would first need to be mixed and John Davis is primarily a mastering engineer, so...

I'll say HTWWW... it's the only Zeppelin album not yet released on LP, so I'll put my money there.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  18. swsix

swsix Member

and not to forget .. The Reindeer Song

Sean, Mowgli and supermd like this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

What an absolutely wonderful photo. Gosh these days the nearest fan is about 50m away from the band/singer at the big rock venues.

Vinyl_Blues and ODShowtime like this.
  20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Same here. :agree::righton:

21. Chris Schoen

Ya, what is it with rock concerts in England, don't they allow women in? :confused:

22. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

They're all backstage.

Sean, Zep Fan and bhasenstab like this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Ya, right. With the women's soccer team, eh?

vudicus likes this.
  24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I was at Earls Court back in the day...but hey, "Percy" Plant is still making some good music. Check out his latest, Carry Fire. Some echoes of Zep III in there along with the world music/rockabilly. The three sides of vinyl sounds nice too.

Sean, robtodd, ducksdeluxe and 2 others like this.
  25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I would make a joke about balls being involved, but that would be in very bad taste! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.