Song playing during your car accident...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CrawdaddySim1, Dec 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

That reminds me that a friend of mine told me back in the '90s that he rear-ended someone while looking down to change the cassette (or was it a CD?) in his car stereo.

Music can be a dangerous thing. :D

CrawdaddySim1 likes this.
  2. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I used to live near a golf course. One day my wife and I were driving past it and all I hear is her proclaim, "Look Honey, a golf ball!" as one flew into the passenger side door. It left a large dent, as one might imagine, but I was more so focused on how exactly she presented this information to me.

"Look Honey, a golf ball?!?!"

I might have expected "Watch out", "Oh no", or most anything else, but not that.

CrawdaddySim1 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  3. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I don't remember, so it was probably a commercial.

4. MHam

MHam Give Me Bass Relief

My son was in accident on the freeway which flipped his car upside down and continued down the freeway like that for hundreds of feet before coming to a stop. He remembers thinking "I'm dead", the sound of breaking glass, the grating sound of metal on pavement, and Bob Marley's Lively Up Yourself playing on the car stereo.

5. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

What a hilarious topic. I've only been in one accident. Got rear ended in '89.

And Kid Creole and the Coconuts "Endicott" was blasting from the doors of my VW Fox.

6. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Luckily I (knock on wood) haven't been in an auto accident. But as consolation(?) I know of both albums that were playing from both times I was robbed. One was Led Zeppelin IV (I can't remember the song) and the other was The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden, during "22 Acacia Avenue". Shockingly, everything was taken except my iPod BOTH times. That second time finally pushed my dad to get a third car for the family so I would stop walking home from the bus stop every day in a not-so-great neighborhood. I got over it pretty quickly though and have no issues playing them (it happened in January 2014 and November 2015, respecively).

Albums or I should say a band I had trouble playing was the Doors for a very different reason... One time during senior year of High School me and a couple of friends were consuming a substance legal in several states for recreational use, and I was listening to the Doors on my headphones when I had a bad reaction or trip or whatever, and had a full on panic attack. That was a really traumatic experience and couldn't listen to the Doors for a while and it took me around a year for me to "recover" from not being able to listen to them. Still have not touched any drugs since March of 2013 when it happened.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  7. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

I've had one accident.
    It was in late 2001, And luckily nobody was seriously injured.

The song Playing was Beatles' Getting Better. :laugh:
    I listen To that song every now And then (one Of my favourites from Pepper), but rarely I connect it with the crash.

8. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

♫ In the deathcar, we're alive...

Shambolicus and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  9. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

That's similar to what happened to the character Albert Brooks was playing in the underrated movie Defending Your Life. He had just bought a brand new Mercedes, driving it from the dealership, it was his birthday, and he reached down to pick up some new Cds (longboxes) he had been gifted that had fallen to the floor, and when he looked up, he had veered into the oncoming lane, and a City Bus crashed head on into him, killing him. Song that was playing---Something's Coming sung by Barbara Streisand.

Shambolicus and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  10. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Great thread topic. I’ll never forget mine...”Here I go again” by Whitesnake.

11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder 'Living For The City' was on the radio when a kid rode his bicycle in front
    of my car. Somehow he missed three other lanes of traffic before I hit him.
    I was not cited.

12. DrProgQuest

Speaking of morbid car accident topics, I highly recommend the bizarre, erotic Cronenberg film Crash, with James Spader, Rosanna Arquette, Elias Koteas, Deborah Unger among others. If you haven't seen it, trust me it's strange and unsettling. About people who get erotic pleasure from car crashes...seriously. In one scene there is a re-creation of James Dean's fatal crash. Eerie music soundtrack too if I recall.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  13. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

I think I was listening to "This Man is Mine" by Heart on the radio and distracted by it because that's not a song played much this century. Read-ended another vehicle. Nobody was hurt. I've always rated that as one of Heart's worst singles.

14. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

An old "rock & roll" friend of mine swerved into a post whilst playing 'dashboard piano' when Little Richard's Good Golly, Miss Molly suddenly came blasting from his car stereo.

When he filled out his insurance form claim he actually wrote "I'm really sorry about the post but Little Richard came on the radio"

15. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Unfortunately this thread reminded me of the film 'Whose life is it anyway?'.

I've only had two accidents in 46 years of driving, both (natch) caused by others. The most annoying was early on when I had a VW Beetle and had just had the two rusty exhaust pipes replaced with nice shiny new ones. Stopped at a light, started moving away (in Beetle time) and the car behind promptly shunted the pipes up my back end. So to speak.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I was behind a car, that was waiting to make a left turn but couldn't, due to cross-traffic. No big deal, there. All of a sudden, some truck slams into the back end of my truck, doing at least 30 mph (speed limit) and I hit the car in front me. My truck was totaled. Were it not for the seat belt, I wouldn't be posting, right now. I didn't hit the windshield, thankfully. But, I had a serious case of whiplash and I was knocked unconscious. Ironically, I was 2 blocks from a hospital.

My truck didn't have a headrest, so my head hit the back cab window...didn't shatter or crack. However, the window frame itself, was bent on the outside...you could slide your fingers from the outside into the cab, through that bent windowframe.

The song playing? Ozzy's Miracle Man. To this day, I don't like to hear that song, 20 years later. That coincided with the start of a 6 month period of hell, for me, for several other reasons. You'll have to buy the book to find out why ;)

17. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I was in an accident, during my high school years, with my best friend driving .Sympathy For The Devil was playing and to this day, I've never heard that song in its entirety in a car. If it comes on I change the station.

18. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

About ten years ago, I left home on a Sunday morning by myself to go to church (no one else wanted to go, pick your battles lol) and about two blocks from home an elderly lady ran a stop sign and t-boned me. A millisecond before she hit me she came into my peripheral vision and all I could say was, "Oh SHIIIIIII!!!" before impact. I immediately stood on the brakes-whether or not that was a good thing, I don't know- and began to roll. And I'm thinking about everything that's happening in real time; "I'm rolling...this can't be good...wow! sliding upside down...well, there's a fire station a block from here, at least they'll be here quick". The mind is a wonderful thing isn't it? When the police showed up, and I was sitting there, upside down, like a bat hanging in a tree, I asked the officer if he'd be so kind as to hand me my phone that was on the floor...that used to be the ceiling. He did and I called my loving and tolerant wife to let her know I'd been in an accident and could she please bring a camera. She of course was thinking fender bender, and when a few minutes later showed up, kind of really freaked out. The song playing that day brings back the memory, but really not traumatically. The route I was taking away from our house that day must though. I rarely go that way anymore.
    The song playing? That's the Way God Planned It, by Billy Preston.
    [​IMG]

pool_of_tears and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  19. DrProgQuest

I thought for sure you were going to say Diana Ross' "Upside Down".

CrawdaddySim1 and EddieMann like this.
  20. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

"No Quarter". 1990 - the "Remasters" cassette. I wasn't driving, my brother was. Had a blowout and the car went spinning. Landed in a bus shelter. We were OK but the car was totalled.

21. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Seems like a lot of people get in car wrecks listening to the Stones and Zeppelin.

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Leader Of The Pack" :winkgrin:

23. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

Haha. Great idea for a thread. Mine was Watusi Rodeo by Guadalcanal Diary, back in 2004. And nope, I haven't listened to it since. (I may have to give it a spin tonight though, I think it's been long enough).

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

What a strange yet interesting question. And all the stranger because I was talking about the accident I will mention below just today at work (long story how we got on this subject at work).

Around 1984-85 or so I just bought my first brand new car. It was a Honda CRX Si. Of course I installed a souped up stereo in it including a big bass & speaker box in the hatchback. The headunit I had was an Alpine radio & cassette - CDs were relatively new & maybe car CD players weren't even invented yet. I can't remember what the amp was, maybe an a/d/s. Anyways I used to make mix tapes for car listening from LPs and had just started getting into CDs, using them as my cassette sources. In addition to mix tapes of various bands I also was making my own "best ofs" of various bands I liked.

I only had that car about a month so far. It was a Friday night in early winter, probably mid-December like it is now. It was raining & the roads were slick in spots. I was coming home from work and stopped at a bank/ATM. My last memory b4 waking up in an ambulance was driving out of the bank parking lot, turning on the stereo and putting in a mix tape of U2. I cannot remember what song was playing but it may have been Bad, like someone else mentioned above.

I have zero recollection of the accident or what happened next, can only go by the police report which had the accident happening about a mile or two down the road from that bank, a car coming in the opposite direction lost control around a curve and hit me head on. I was not wearing a seatbelt and was propelled into the windshield and knocked out, had a concussion. Woke up in a weird box of some kind (turned out to be the ambulance). My injuries were minor though, just the concussion, torn cartilage in a knee, neck problems, banged up a bit.

The concussion was one of the weirdest things I have ever experienced though. I totally understand what must go on under those tents at football games during the concussion "protocol" thanks to going through it myself. Once I was taken to the ER at the hospital I was asked questions like "can you tell me what year is it?", " do you know who is president?", "can you tell me what season it is - fall? winter? summer? etc?". And trying to reply to those questions was intense - my brain wasn't working. No matter how hard I tried I could not access information in my head like what the year was. I had no idea what season it was. The only president I could think of to say was "Jimmy Carter?". Man that was a scary feeling. I knew my name, who I was, things like that but I could not answer those questions.

My brand new car was totalled. Jeez, first new one I ever bought & I lose it after a month? As soon as I was able I went back to the exact same dealership, asked for the exact same salesman who was a really good guy - no car salesman games with him - the poor guy was the owner's nephew or something and he was so bad of a salesman (that is he was honest instead of trying to rip people off, he didn't do the stupid $-grabbing hardsell the other salesmen there were pushing like "undercoating" & other nonsense) that he had been demoted to their satellite lot selling used cars! Anyways I made his day by going back and telling him "get me another brand new Si, exactly the same"...

25. Houston, Texas, Summer '78...sent a '74 Audi 100LS careening at high speed off a Farm-to-Market road and into the ditch to "Radar Love." So cliché. At least it wasn't "Life in The Fast Lane". :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.