Songs disliked by artists themselves

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AndrewK, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

When John Mellencamp toured behind Words and Music, he introduced Ain’t Even Done With The Night by saying that he’s promoting a hits album. Half the time I think artists give up on a song because they outgrow them.

ARK likes this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

While Lennon acknowledged "Run for Your Life" as being one of his songs he disliked, I'm not aware of any quote from him in which he says this was the reason for his dislike — though there are plenty from punters on this forum who apparently love to get their knickers in a twist about a simple pop song.

John did acknowledge the line from "Getting Better" in which he (and Paul) sang "I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her, and kept her apart from the things that she loved" as being true and reflective of a part of his earlier life he was ashamed of.

Perhaps you're thinking of this?

bumbletort, Tuco and MadMelMon like this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Shirley Alston of The Shirelles disliked "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" when it was first presented to them. She thought it was "a country song." I'm not sure if her view of it changed once it became a hit.

Dusty Springfield disliked "Wishin' and Hopin'."

According to my friend the Todd freak, who has seen him in concert innumerable times, Rudgren expresses an almost sneering disdain for "I Saw the Light" when he performs it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

/pedantic - Lawsuit was by Rondor Music, the publishing company used by the song's writers, Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood. The Hollies covered "The Air That I Breathe".

Beamish13 likes this.
  5. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Saw Pat Benatar live and she said “I’m stuck playing this but it hate singing this song because I hate this song” before launching into “Hit Me With your Best Shot”

6. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Some Pink Floyd members have been quoted saying they hated their '68 single "It Would Be So Nice". Couldn't disagree more, it's my favorite post-Barrett A-side. A perfect piece of UK popsike IMO

andrewskyDE and MadMelMon like this.
  7. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Has Peter Gabriel ever performed anything from Selling England or Nursery Cryme during his solo career?

8. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

I do believe Richard Carpenter finds Mr Guder a bit embarrassing now. It's perfectly understandable.

9. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I like that song too. Also like Point Me At the Sky which they’ve also disavowed at one point. I think mostly they hated playing the singles game and were trying to figure a new path.

owsley likes this.
  10. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

David Sylvian is a classic example of an artist who disowns most of his early band material. Certainly pre Ghosts although thankfully he did acknowledge the brilliant Some Kind of Fool on the Everything and Nothing compilation. A reworked version from the Polaroids sessions. Sylvian never contributed to the Anthony Reynolds book on Japan where Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri willingly gave their time and invaluable input.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I once heard Al describe Year Of The Cat as "....okay, but not one of my best thousand songs."

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Mick Jagger has said he dislikes all the songs on (the UK) Between The Buttons aside from Back Street Girl & Connection.

13. All Down The Line

Ginger Baker absolutely hated Cream's first single Wrapping Paper feeling it was somewhat akin to being the worst song known to man!

14. All Down The Line

Ironically he has come around just a touch in the last decade or so.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

Fair call that!

Sear and Nick Dunning like this.
  16. All Down The Line

Way overrated.

17. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Sandie Shaw had to be plied with brandy in order to record "Girl Don't Come"

18. Whiskey Drinker

Whiskey Drinker Forum Resident

Apparently Phil Lynott was never a fan of Whiskey in the Jar, even though it was the commercial breakthrough of the early version of Thin Lizzy.

classicrocker likes this.
  19. trednour

trednour Forum Resident

Surprised our Francophiles missed his introduction to his big hit "Hey Jealous Lover," performed live with Nelson Riddle in Seattle:

"I absolutely and unequivocally detest this song"

It may have been the only time he performed it live.

20. It’s not hard to see how the mature Sylvian might be embarrassed by most of the Japan days and might not be keen to revisit them.

21. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Indeed, although Steve Jansen has regularly posted photos from 77/78 on his Twitter page so certainly more accepting of the early years. Mick Karn also never dismissed those days.

22. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Right.........but "having " to perform a song that was popular, if that's the worst case scenario,I'm gonna sleep pretty
    good.How many people have the good fortune of creating something that millions of people enjoy that will last well
    after your gone and will most likely secure you pretty much for life.............."I wanna be a rockstar "......damn you nickelback!!!

23. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Leonard Cohen regretted writing Chelsea Hotel about Janis Joplin. But he kept singing it, as far as I’m aware.

24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Anything I worked on that someone likes I'm happy to endorse as well. ;)

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I written many time here how Al Jourgensen hates the first Ministry album, "With Sympathy"....
    And, while I've found his 'metal' over the past ten years to be quite boring, he occasionally adds an item or two to keep me interested.
    Back in the day, my local new-wave station played every track off of "With Sympathy", and while the station never played a single track off of "Twitch", I though it was great!

MadMelMon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.