Songs or albums that annoy you due to poor mixing or mastering.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

On the back it says: "Manufactured in Germany by Record Service GmbH Alsdorf.

2. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

For me, The Mars Volta...

Their entire catalogue.

Wonderfully creative music, mastered in such a way as to feel like having your eardrums smacked with hammers.

phillyal1 likes this.
  3. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I love Tina Turner, old and most of the newer stuff, but this compilation is too loud to suffer through. Does anybody know of a good sounding compilation - or, even better, a great sounding compilation?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Look for the Bearsville pressings with "STERLING LH" in the deadwax. The LPs without that designation sound noticeably worse to me. :targettiphat:

Some mixes/masterings that I find annoying:

Metallica - ...And Justice For All (where's the bass?)
    David Bowie - Lodger (sounds veiled, but I'm not sure whether the recent remix has helped much)
    Yes - Yessongs (great performances buried in an excessively muddy recording; I still listen to it, but...)
    The Who - Live At Leeds Deluxe Edition (that second disc, in particular, was ruined by absolutely horrible mastering, so I'm sticking with the '95 edition)

Most modern CDs sound fatiguing, which has hampered my ability to really get into 21st century music, and new vinyl prices are generally a bit exorbitant at the moment (not to mention, a crap shoot in terms of quality). Still, the occasional gem comes through, so I never give up hope.

gss likes this.
  5. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

You just summed up my feelings about Sticky Fingers (CD). Fantastic quality of music that occasionally makes me wince when I listen to it.

6. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

This one I understand. One man band for the most part with lots of overdubs. And "I Saw The Light " is the best sonic approximation of the Motown Sound EVER.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  7. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Made on a shoestring to sound "punk" from a band who could really play.

JoeF. likes this.
  8. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I'd use this as a dem disc, it can easily sound awful but in reality very analogue, although Fridmman's wall of sound may not be to many peoples tastes.

This is the West German 9362-47393-2

9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'd love a remix of 15 Big One's.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.