Songs that became hits after they were released on LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbo, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

A little trivia: "Leaving on a Jet Plane" first appeared on PP&M's Album 1700, released in 1967. It took over two years to chart as a single, and eventually made it all the way to #1. A fairly rare occurrence, and very unlikely to happen these days.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love that LP, especially "I Dig Rock N' Roll Music"...

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Good theme for a thread Jimbo: Songs that hit the charts at least a year (2 years) after they were released on LP. Tears of a Clown for another.

4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Nights In White Satin" by Moody Blues and "Get Together" by Youngbloods"?

Jim W.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" became a smash 4 years down the road, after being featured in the 1993 movie Benny And Joon.

The Beatles' "Got to Get You Into My Life" shot in to the Top 10 in 1976, 10 years(!) after appearing on Revolver.

Maybe one of our friendly neighborhood Gorts can spin this topic off into its own thread??:confused:

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Not this one. If he tries something like this, the forum could end up sitting next to Atlantis. Let him talk to someone who can.......

7. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" started off as an album cut on the "In The Groove" album, and wasn't released as a single until a DJ in Chicago began playing it off the album. The response was so incredible that Motown was forced to rush release it as a single. A couple of months later it was the biggest selling single in Motown's history(over 4,000,000 copies just in the U.S.), and held that distinction until "Endless Love" in 1981.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, there's tons of them!

Love Rollercoaster-Ohio Players
    Dreams-Fleetwood Mac
    Fantasy-Earth, Wind & Fire

Oh, but I guess it's no fair listing things after the 60s because it was common practice to release album cuts as singles.:angel:

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Pure Prairie League's Amie was first released in 1972 on their Bustin' Out album, but became a major hit in 1975.

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

That's right!

That song got a lot of airplay particullarly on college radio stations back then and the demand for Amie was huge so RCA obliged and issued it as a single (an edited one.)

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

It's their best Lp, song for song, IMO. "The House Song" is very sad, very spooky; unforgettable. Unfortunately, the song you like the most lost them a little pop cred, since it was taken to mean they were mocking the latest trends in sounds and backwards tricks. I thought it was just a lark.

ED:cool:

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Let's not forget "Band on the Run". The album was out and dropping, then this single was released. If I remember correctly, this LP got to #1 something like 3 times!

:-jon

oops! Sorry, I "passed over" the 2 year thing"

13. Ed Bishop

You're right if you say 'hit' as in 'top ten,' but both those originally charted in '68 & '67, respectively, the former, in fact, the same week as the Lp first charted; the latter, about four months later. Then, reissued in 1972 & '69, respectively, they became really big hits, though "Get Together" was issued unedited in '69.

14. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Here's a good one; "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack. Came out on her (I think) first album in 1969, but became a HUGE single in 1972. Can't remember for sure, but it may have been the most popular song (Billboard) in 1972. Man, they do not write them like that anymore!

Johnny Cash covers this song on his latest lp!

Michael Nelson

15. Tom

Tom Senior Member

Bowie's Space Oddity became a hit in the US in 72 at the height of Ziggy but was first released ikn the UK in 69.

Tom

16. Ed Bishop

I think Jimbo is referring to songs released well, well after the Lp was first issued. Why it took two years to issue an obvious potential hit like PP&M's "Jet Plane" on 45 is a mystery, but it worked. None you listed above were issued much later than the Lp's they came from and "Rollercoaster" was edited for 45 release.

Columbia/Epic milked MJ's THRILLER for quite a long time, but by the '80s that had become common, as singles were allowed to run their course before the next one was issued. Back in the '60s and 70s, the next one was up and ready as the previous one was descending the charts.

17. ascot

ascot Senior Member

OK, my details are sketchy, but I believe Billy Vera's "At This Moment" was first issued in 1981 or 82 and became a hit in 1987. It was being used in the tv series Family Ties.

18. Ed Bishop

Correct. "First Time" came from her great FIRST TAKE Lp from 1969. Then it was forgotten until Clint Eastwood used it as the musical centerpiece for his first directorial effort, PLAY MISTY FOR ME. The song was edited for 45 release, reissued along with the Lp, and both went to #1. And it is one great record!(45 and Lp).

19. Ed Bishop

This one runs parallel to the "Get Together" situation. It was a big UK hit in '69, but also "Bubbled Under" here the same year, and was severely edited. In late '72, RCA reissued the first Mercury(US)album under the SPACE ODDITY title, along with THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD, and issued "Oddity" unedited, and it finally became a real hit. The 45 edit is fascinating for its mix, mainly at the end, where two parts of the song--unrelated on the master tape--are blended together.

20. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Seems like Simon & Garfunkel had a few ... including "Scarborough Fair" which was on their "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyne" LP in '66 and made #11 on the charts in April, '68 ... after the release of "The Graduate".

21. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Movie soundtrack music always helps revive an old song. Two that come to mind are TWIST AND SHOUT by the Beatles and I'M INTO SOMETHING GOOD by Hermans Hermits. I am sure there are a ton of tunes like these..

:-jon

22. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Didn't "Layla" (electric version) languish around for a few years before being a hit? Maybe it was a radio hit, and not a single - I don't have all of those old charts, but I remember it was originally released to little fanfare, and a year or 2 later it was being hailed as the best thing since sliced bread and was suddenly all over the radio.

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Boy, you sure do know yer stuff!:cool: Thanks.

Jim W.

24. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Someone mentioned Dreams. I believe the first FM album with Buckingham-Nicks lay dormant (although heavily "toured") for a couple of years before it had a hit single, Rhiannon I think.

25. Ed Bishop

Right, Chip, and from 1972, "America" which was issued to push the GREATEST HITS album. But as it was from BOOKENDS first, it obviously counts.

Another: Love's "Alone Again Or." The original '68 single charted 5/68 Bubbling Under(it was stereo on the stock 45, edited to 2:50). In 1970, it was reissued(alternate mono mix, same edit)at the same time their REVISITED comp was released. This time it barely cracked the Hot 100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.