Sony- 65" Class BRAVIA XR A80J Series OLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Sep 25, 2021.

1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That's interesting. I just ordered a 83" C1 at a great price (here in Europe). 3000€ instead of 4600€ for the 83" C2.

That's less than I paid more than 15 years ago for my first flat screen TV, a 46" FullHD Sony (which I still use in a bedroom with Chromecast).

3. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I have a slightly older Sony OLED TV and have never had a moment's problem with the Wifi. Never had to reset it or anything.

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I have the previous A8H model and I never had any problems with the wi-fi. I use a wired connection now

5. jojopuppyfish

So everyone who bought this model is happy with it? I see some good deals out there now on this model.

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I sure am!!!!:righton:
    I had a ISF calibrated Pioneer KRP 500M reference Plasma panel for 9 years which I loved.
    It was this Sony that ended it.:agree::D

7. violarules

violarules Senior Member

VERY happy, and ours the older A8H, which is 1.5-2 years old now. There are some great deals on the Sony OLED televisions, for sure. Snap it up. Doesn't get much better, imho.

8. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Count me among the satisfied. Great TV. Unless you have a room with too much brightness, you should be thrilled with this TV. Unless gaimng is your main prioriy, then the LG C1 would have a slight edge. Check out all the rave reviews on YouTube.

9. jojopuppyfish

Thanks everyone.

10. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

The Samsung S95B is also worth a look at in this price point.

11. jojopuppyfish

12. Stereosound

13. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I see Samsung finally got into the OLED game...

14. Stereosound

Yes. They make OLED with Quantum Dots (different from how LG does OLED) and also sell their panels to Sony (A95K).

15. jojopuppyfish

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Anybody here visit AVS forum?

17. jojopuppyfish

Dillydipper likes this.
  18. jojopuppyfish

Question:
    Does it matter if the tv has a heatsink.
    The A80k does not
    The A80j does

19. Stereosound

Not completely. However the heat sink allows for a residual image to fade out quicker than one without a heat sink thus a little better guard against burn in and/or allows the manufacturer to drive the panel a little brighter if they choose too or not.

20. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

neither has a heat sink. You have to step up to the A90 to get a heat sink. Not worth the significant price increase for a marginally better TV.

marcb and jojopuppyfish like this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sorry, I missed this question from 10 months ago...

I'm not sure I was using the warm settings you reference when I initially posted, but I eventually found those and used them. I was initially skeptical of using "warm" because it was supposedly not the most accurate temp out of the box. But combined with the other setting adjustments, it was noticeably better IMO than any of the other suggested settings on AVS. Everything just looks "effortless" for lack of a better term. I almost never feel that subconscious need to adjust anything. This is particularly true with DV - which tended to look a little too dark with the other settings recommendations.

I have no doubt getting it properly calibrated would probably take things up another notch. But beyond the expense, I don't even know where to start to find a reliable one in my geographic area.

JimW likes this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Dealers – Imaging Science

Well worth it, in my direct experience.

IanL and Linger63 like this.
  23. jojopuppyfish

I bought the A80K and while I still need to do some tweeks and get use to it, its a huge step up from my Sharp big screen I bought 5+ years ago.
    Even my regular blu rays look great. Can wait to hook up my oppo 4k and try some 4k discs.

JohnG and Bill Mac like this.
  24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yes. I had Kevin Miller over my house back when I first bought my SXRD. That TV needed tweaking. Haven’t bothered having any calibration done on my current cheap TCL but would have it done again for another Sony.

25. jojopuppyfish

I bought the Sharp LC70LE632U in 2014. I started this 4k thread which has continued along nicely
    4k Discs -12/26/2020 Are they worth investing in?
    Between that thread and Bluray.com I finally decided to upgrade. And as I wrote in post #223, this tv really is a jump up in quality.
    There were some things that bothered me about the Sharp tv. Even when streaming Amazon prime, the pixels would break up.
    Now, with the new Sony A80K, everything looks great!

Bill Mac likes this.