Sony Legacy Christmas Songs by Sinatra question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I have this CD from around 1994, but I noticed it was re-released in 8/2004 with a lot of Legacy Christmas CD's. Tower's web site says Remastered, but I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a different remastering than the 1994 release, or just a re-release with slightly altered artwork and the same mastering. I hate to waste the $$ if there's no change.

2. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Chris, when I was a member of the Sinatra Family Forum, Chuck Granata, also a member and the one in charge of remastering that disc, explained that the sound of the new remaster was better because of some fancy new stylus used to transfer the actual discs to digital.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I love this CD and had no idea there was a new remaster out.

4. Chris Desjardin

Well, I just ordered it from Tower. It was only $4.99 until the end of today (CHEAP!). They had a ton of good stuff - most of the Sony Legacy Christmas discs were only $4.99. Plus free shipping if the order is over $25, so it was a great deal. I read the bit on the Sinatra forum about the new styli and new turntable they used, so I'm hoping it will be an audible improvement.

5. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I didn't hear much of, if any, difference or improvement on the new remaster. I did notice the booklet looked bad, it looked like it was printed on a copy machine.

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Hmnnn.....i just remmebered, I have an LP of Sinatra Christmas songs from the 40s. I'm sure its a bootleg.

on one track he says hes celebrating a "big victory". Any body have that?

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Let us know how it sounds. I doubt there would be a big improvement given the sources.

8. Chris Desjardin

No, I was hoping anything I could actually notice was worth the $5. I guess they had some great turntable that was perfect for transcription discs, plus some new styli for the transfers that weren't available in 1994. I also assume they may have better NR available since then. The Gene Autry Christmas set released last year was better than the one I got in 1993 - less NR used, so the surface noise was a little more noticable, but the music sounded better. I'm hoping to hear the same kind of result here.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Below are Chuck Granata's comments from the Sinatra Family forum, posted last May. The remaster is distinguishable by a gold border around the cover art, as well as the groovy new FBI anti-piracy warning on the disc itself. I don't have the original version, so I can't comment on any differences in sound.

from http://www.sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=8364
    "Now, why would I pick this up again out of the blue? Well, in a few weeks, we'll be "remastering" the Christmas Songs By Sinatra CD. The good news is that we can make the recordings sound far better than we could ten years ago. We have a better complement of styli, and a truly amazing transcription turntable that was not available when we did the earliest Legacy Sinatra releases. The bad news is that all of the packaging for this title will be staying the same, so we cannot add the 1948 version to this disc at this time."

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Please delete. :)

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It was mastered at Sony Music Studios in NY with the Rockport turntable custom built for Sony Music. They also have a lot of different size/shape styli for their V15 cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.