Sony linear tracking turntables from the mid-80s (PS-FL77)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by manicpopthrill, Mar 13, 2020.

1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Not to put too fine a point on it but a quad LP system had a shibata stylus as the only possible difference.

There might be additional electronics to decode the high frequency signals for CD4 from that Shibata stylus but usually that is in the receiver or an add on component.

SQ or QS decoding did not even require the shibata stylus.

2. originalsnuffy

So the PS-FL7II had the biotracer technology? I don't recall that. Having said that, with the exception of the broken plastic piece (goes at an angle on the front) everything on my unit still works. It sounds great unless one is playing a severely warped LP. But then again I have never had great experiences with warped LPs no matter what the turntable. Actually sounding great is more a function of the stylus which in my case is some kind of Shure.

I was surprised to see how much this model seems to be going for on ebay.

Funny, my old Denon turntable still works also. Gave it to some friends that wanted to play some vinyl.

3. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

You're quite correct: my turntable does have a Shibata-type stylus, but I suspect the main reason for the lack of IGD stems from the constant tracking angle maintained by the linear system. In my system, CD4 signals are demodulated by the turntable and SQ albums decoded by the amplifier, but as you rightly say it varies from setup to setup.

4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Because they are square it is likely most of the surrounds get worn in the corners much faster than with round speakers and they neer repair or replacement. Since so far as I know you will not find replacement parts for the speakers it is going to be hard finding them in good working order. The TT's most likely will mainly have belt problems but at that price I wouldn't consider it.

5. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

I should specify that my PS-FL7II is not Biotracer but still sounds fantastic -- I scored a great old Astatic T4P cart -- when I do a side by side with my PSX600. So I know the PS-FL77 will sound great. These were expensive back then and score high prices in good shape (usually between 250-500). I will get myself one at some point but I promised to stop after the pS-FL7ll - I wanted to see how the non-Biotracer LT sounded and am very impressed. Here's a review of the earlier FL-7 (basically the same as mine) that seconds the notion:
    Sony PS-FL7 turntable

6. originalsnuffy

Thanks for the comments.

My overall observation is that yes, the turntable is probably hard to service. But then again mine still works after all these years. Considering it is a mechanical item that is pretty good methinks. Which makes me wonder why there is so much negativity to the unit in this forum.

It is true that the unit can respond to remote controls (from distant memory) but only when hooked up to a certain sony receivers.

7. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

These are not hard to work at all based on my experience (and I am a tech idiot so I certainly don't). I think there is a DIY reaction to LT as a lot of audiophiles enjoy the hand tinkering and want everybody to love that belt (sorry, I don't want to see it or change it) and manual action (not for everybody). And there was an overreaction to Japanese LT from the English music press in the 80s trying to preserve ye olde table. My theory shared by others is that the Japanese late 70's/early 80's R&D into making the perfect consumer tonearm to eliminate IGD is unmatched and those TT were built to last -- they sold big and people do keep them and sell the TOTL models for TOTL prices today. Any vintage TT might be a tough repair but not most LT unless it's a microprocessor chip or something. The most common problem will be a belt because they need replacing after 30 years! Like I said, I had three LT fixed in the past couple years for under 200 dollars with no problem. And the Biotracers rule over all my other TT as my ears immediately told me. YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  8. GuildF512

GuildF512 Well-Known Member

On a similar note, I still love my Phase Linear 8000 Turntable bought in the early 80s.

9. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I found a working Sony PS-FL7ii at a thrift store today; only missing the front window/covering. Wondering how much trouble it is to grease the sliding platter base/tray. It seems to need it. Here’s a short video: Instagram

10. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

It's pretty easy to open the top and see what needs grease just be careful if you flip it over like I did!

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  11. Donnnie

Donnnie Forum Resident

Can you explain the Biotracer function? I've been enjoying my PS-FL77 since I bought it from a stereo repair shop (fully refurbished) about 10 years ago and its just now starting to have an issue. An album will play fine for a bit, but then I begin to hear what sounds like an internal motor struggling, and suddenly the once-straight cartridge seems to turn at an angle (no longer at a 90 degree with the unit) and the song begins to skip. When I press the button to lift off the record, the cartidge and "arm" jumps to the right (about 3 songs over) rather than just lifting straight off the platter.

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I had an SL-10 and it was pretty nice, but it only took p-mount cartridges. The play back was pretty good and it never skipped when people walked around my old apartment. But the novelty wore off and I went back to my trusty old Thorens. Luckily I kept the Thorens because it sounded much better than the Technics lateral tracker.

Mine was not junk. It was a good table and the cartridge that came on it was excellent. I paid a pretty penny for it too. But I went back to the belt drive in the end. Check the link below.

Technics SL-10 turntable Page 2

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    longdist01 likes this.
  13. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Ha! Exactly what mine is doing now! I'm pretty sure it's a belt issue or the shaft needs cleaning, which is an easy fix but I only had it fixed a year before so it's definitely a thing with these linear trackers -- the Biotracer is the processor that allows the stylus to correct itself over the grooves, which also allows it play over very warped records.

14. Pdalton

Pdalton Member

Can someone explain the basic differences between the PS-FL7, PS-FL7II, & the PS-FL77?

I own a PS-FL7; it's a non-Biotracer linear tracker and I like how it works.

I'd like to know what parts (if any) from an FL77 or a FL7II can be used to replace parts on the FL7?

15. Technophile

Technophile Well-Known Member

I'm still using my SL-10 purchase new in 1980 with the original cartridge. No issues in 43 years of use (touch wood). The newer TT do sound better but the SL-10 is still not bad sounding. Does not see much use as I'm mostly listening to digital.

16. originalsnuffy

This! I am down to less than 10 records. So even though my unit probably needs servicing at some point, and a fix for the broken plastic dust lid, the question for me is how much time and money do I want to put into this?

Are there people who focus on fixing these? Similarly, there are one or two people who can still fix laserdisc players and 8mm video decks. Which is probably even more obscure than fixing old linear tracking turntables.

17. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I had an SL7 in the early eighties with a Grado cartridge.

It didn't sound like anything special but it looked really cool and was fun to operate.

18. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

I finally scored my grail, a Sony PSX-800 so no more TT for me. I swear!

19. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Good darts, mate. That's a quality 'table you have there :righton:

Angel66 likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

As long as the servo arm works. They aren't infalliable. Simple is best.

21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The record was cut with a linear cutting head, so a linear turntable would be truer to the original stamper (mechanically).

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I think in the mid-80's I had a Technics linear tracking table.

23. robusa

robusa Forum Resident

I recently bought a used PS-FL7II, replaced the cartridge, and it works and sounds surprisingly good.

But it has trouble with records that aren’t black. Or at least the few colors/clears/whites that I’ve tried.

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I owned a biotracer, unfortunately vintage stuff gets wonky with age.

I owned many Sony vintage TT’s, but they all became problematic. Sony did make some great stuff though and the Biotracer was a wonderful sounding TT.

25. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Everything gets wonky with age! I have three bio-tracer TT and they all work fantastic. You have to occasionally replace the belts but that's not a big deal. The near bio-tracer PS-X600 is one of the best consumer TT ever made and has less inner problems than the bio-tracers.