Sony UBP-x1000es universal player review -- upgrade/comparison to my Sony UHP-H1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Well, I sat down and started typing, and this turned out to be a very long post / review! Maybe this will help if you've thought about the Sony x1000es after the price drop --- I was a skeptic on this player initially, and ended up being surprised in a good way!!

First a little on the Sony UHP-H1 ---- I have owned a Sony UHP-H1 Universal Player for a couple of years now --- to cut right to it, my overall satisfaction assessment of it after two years is "luke warm at best." :)

My experience with the UHP-H1:
    • DAC - so-so for analog audio out --- it has a "decent but not great" DAC IMHO.
    • Bluray - it's "fair to good" compared to other players I have tried in my system. I have always thought since day one I owned it that it had a problem due to the difference from the reviews and my experience. Moreover, comparing the Bluray to other players like the Samsung 8500, others it never "wow'd" me on bluray performance.
    • The worst thing however is it freezes up periodically requiring a hard reboot (well known issue - software updates are current, sometimes I think they are helping, but it always re-surfaces. Definitely less freezing up now than a year ago though).
    The UHP-H1 was used for Bluray, CD and streaming Netflix and Prime in my system --- paid $349 for the UHP-H1 when I bought it new.

My major requirements for a UHP-H1 replacement were:
    • must do bluray well (4K is a bonus, not required at this point).
    • Must do CD well and have a good DAC with analog out (SACD is a bonus).
    • Must have onboard streaming especially Netflix and Amazon Prime which I use frequently - AND it must do so with good picture quality!! Not all streaming devices do so with great pic quality!
    • Would like it under $1000, prefer a new vs. used platform --- if it's bluray only and not 4k, would like to spend a little as possible since I may go to 4K at some point and will upgrade the player.
    NOTE: I don't listen to CD's frequently, and wanted my universal player to do both movies and CD's - didn't want a dedicated CD player or dedicated DAC. This was a big requirement for my needs.

Needless to say when I first saw the UHP-H1 successor, the x800es, introduced at $300 I was not excited due to the performance of my UHP-H1. Moreover the x800es didn't have analog audio out, which is a feature I want and liked in my UHP-H1. Thus, the x800 did not make the cut for me -- though I did like the price!! Then, with the TOTL x1000es version priced at $700, I initially thought it would be a lateral move from my UHP-H1 because feature-wise they are identical, with the only real feature differene being the x1000es is a 4K player. Note - I don't currently own a 4K TV (yet) and due to my wonderful 1080p Panasonic VT60 65" Plasama I am not in a big hurry to go to 4K. (those not familiar with the Panny VT60 line, they are great TV's) So, back to the point, since I wasn't initially impressed with the prospect of a x1000es, I started looking at other players --- and still looking.

For example, the Oppo 105 stood out -- one drawback though - the Oppo is a six year old player and the company is out of business now -- plus it doesn't "future proof"me in case I go to 4K in a couple of years. There's the Oppo 205, but now you're pushing $2K, and they don't have streaming services anymore like Netflix and Prime (which I like in a player). Still thinking of other options --- for instance keeping my eyes open on the Pioneer LX500 which is interesting for many reasons! But again the LX500 doesn't have onboard streaming services -- but this is becoming a common trend so may have to get used to it!

Well, as luck would have it, Sony (or the retailers) recently dropped the price of the x1000es to $499 (it wasn't selling well at $700). That was enticing enough and pushed me over the edge --- I thought "what the heck, give it a try!" So Sunday I took a drive to the local Best Buy and landed a new Sony x1000es!

Here are some pics of the X1000es The first pic is a side by side (or on top :) -- the x1000es on the bottom, UHP-H1 on top:
    [​IMG]

A couple of shots of the x1000es unit and remote:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is the packaging... yeah, I know.... yawn!
    [​IMG]
    First -- the tale of the tape - the X1000es weighs in at 8lbs 10oz, where as the UHP-H1 is 5lbs 15oz . You can see in the pics the x1000es is a bigger unit --- and it "feels" more substantial and stable as well. Note the x100es has a 32 bit DAC, whereas I think the UHP-H1 has a 24 bit DAC, but not 100% sure. I was never able to locate the actual brand / model of the DAC in either unit it is not readily published. I believe it is a Sony proprietary DAC..... if anyone has more details please share. So initial impressions out of the box -- advantage x1000es -- it is a substantial unit!

The first round of testing was comparing the units on bluray discs, Netflix and Prime streaming between the players. We even put both players one their own HDMI input on the TV - both players have two HDMI outputs - one for video and one for audio - and my TV has four HDMI inputs. Plus, good thing I also have a second set of eyes and ears --- for most of the bluray, streaming viewing my wife has watched also, and she is very direct and honest when she sees an improvement or not. Flus she doesn't have that "buyers exuberance" many of us can have as we try to justify our new purchase was worth it! She didn't want me to spend the money in the first place, so I knew going in she would be critical.

Bluray discs watched - LaLa Land, Whiplash, Don't Worry - You Won't Get Far on Foot. UHD movies - The Accountant. Netflix - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, As Good as It Gets. Prime - Iron Man 2.

First, the tough customer, my wife -- her assessment has been unwavering --- definite improvement over the UHP-H1 from a picture quality perspective--- and she's seen lot of bluray, Netflix, Prime etc on the UHP-H1. Again, this coming from someone who didn't want me to spend the money on a new player... so that's a pretty strong vote! Me? Unequivocally, yes, big improvement. For example, when I watch Netflix streamed from my Panasonic VT60 plasma's smart TV Home screen -- the streaming almost has a 3D, surreal feel to it - the colors are brilliant, it is very nice. The UHP-H1 never approached that level of clarity / depth with Netflix -- but the x1000es does! It is definitely sharp and clear on Netflix and Prime, something that I am initially quite pleased with.

Also, and this one is a little tougher to explain why --- but the sound I am getting from Atmos, DTS, Dolby is better, clearer, more punch with movies --- and definitely seems to take better advantage of all speakers in the surround system. Of course the AVR plays a big role there, but I am fairly certain it is getting a better mix or something....... not sure of the reason why, but it seems the sound is an improvement also!

In summary - for the bluray and streaming with the x1000es - initial impressions are good, more to come as I get more time with it. But I will go firmly out on the proverbial limb and say it is an upgrade over the UHP-H1 from a bluray, streaming and 5.1.2 sound perspective!! Plus --- not ONE freeze up and power cycle required yet!!! :) For double the retail cost of the UHP-H1, we'd hope it would be an upgrade :)..... and so far not disappointed. Then the fact I got the x1000es for $200 off retail makes it a little sweeter....

Other things I like - the whole "look and feel" of the unit and interface are an upgrade over the UHP-H1 - the Home screen is snappier / faster and more responsive, sometimes the UHP-H1 would lag on button press. It just feels like the x1000es took all the key learnings from the UHP-H1 and put it into the x1000es. It starts quicker, starts the streaming sites faster, starts / recovers bluray movies faster - everything! Plus again, no freeze ups after two days of hard use yet.... and the picture is definitely better / sharper with more depth across the board on all formats.

One more big "like" --- the $500 price tag. The big thing I want from a universal player today is Bluray and CD audio out with good quality. I've yet to test the CD quality --- but the fact I might get what I want for $500 instead of $1000 (used Oppo 105 or LX500) or $2000(Oppo 205) is attractive.

Things I don't like - the remote is one -- its a little smallish for my taste and hand size, meaning I accidentally push buttons. And it's not backlit!!! I hate it when you can't see the keys in a dark room!! Other than that, I am having trouble so far finding other things not to like --- it fixed two of my biggest problems with the UHP-H1 -- the freezing up, and the mediocre Bluray!

UP NEXT ---- More to come as I do some side by side comparisons on CD listening with the analog out.... stay tuned! Will update on this in a follow on post in the thread.

2. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I have the 1000es also. I’m very pleased w it.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

Are you using it as your primary system / player for bluray, streaming and CD/SACD?

4. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Mainly for Blu-ray, dvda, sacd. Stream Netflix, Amazon, Sirius. It’s in my primary/ only system. For CDs I’m using a separate DAC.

5. TheVinylAddict

@Vinny123 and anyone else --- I started auditioning the CD player after I did my initial review above -- and already have a question.

This x1000es, just like the UHP-H1 ---- I have it hooked up to the TV via HDMI 1, to the AVR via HDMI 2, and to my preamp for music via Analog out. Pretty standard stuff.

But just like with my UHP-H1 - if I shut off my TV, the Sony player shuts off. What this means, and the problem -- if I am playing a CD I have to leave my TV on. Well, I have a Plasma and don't want burn - in!! Even if it weren't a Plasma, I don't want to have leave the TV on when playing music!

Leads to the first question - is there any way to get the player to stay on when I shut down my TV? And if not, does the X1000es (or the UHP-H1 for that matter) have a "Screen saver" function? Not that a screen saver is the optimal solution.... but just curious.

6. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Shut off any of the ARC functions on your tv and Sony. I ran into the same thing. I find the ARC to be way more trouble than it’s worth.

7. TheVinylAddict

Sorry, but could you be more specific on where the menu options for ARC are on the Sony Menus? I looked and looked and don't see ARC??? I know it stands for "Audio Return CHannel" and what it does, just having trouble finding it!

Same with TV ---- don't see it anywhere! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vinny123 likes this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

@Vinny123 --- hang on, doing a little digging on my TV setup --- looks like ARC is configured via Viera setup... give me a while to figure it out!

Vinny123 likes this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

Vinny - looks like I found it --- in my TV VIera Link Settings, there was a "Power Off Link" option that when I set to No.... it worked and now I can shut off my TV without the player shutting down.... one domino down!

Thanks Vinny for that tip!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    StimpyWan and Vinny123 like this.
  10. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Also in the player:
    [Control for HDMI][On]: The following BRAVIA Sync features are available:–One-Touch Play–System Power-Off– Language Follow
    [Off]: Turns off the function.

Vinny123 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  11. TheVinylAddict

Ahhh, I now see that too on my Sony player, thanks!

I've also left"Control for HDMI" to "On" but have set the "Linked to TV-Off" to "Invalid" ---- so now I think I have it nailed on both ends!

It was working too when I just set the TV end to off as mentioned above too..... so double overkill!

tootull and Vinny123 like this.
  12. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Good going dude. I hate that ARC. I guess it’s well meaning in that you can turn your whole system on and off together. But how hard is it to turn things on one at a time? I had the same issue as you! Drove me crazy until I figured it out. And it’s default setting is to be active. The ARC on my Sony TV activates even when you change sources on the TV!!! So I’d set up a disc on the TV and when I changed sources back to cable on the TV wanting to listen to the disc while watching TV while on mute, the 1000 es would turn off! Very glad you got it worked out!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  13. TheVinylAddict

I owe you for helping short-circuit the "driving me crazy" on my end --- I am sure it would have taken me much longer if you wouldn't have said the magic word ---- "ARC"!!!!!!! Once you said that, Google was my friend and the domino's started falling and I figured it out.

Vinny123 likes this.
  14. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Nice!

15. HDMI-CEC is the feature that turns all HDMI components on and off. ARC is audio return channel and can be on or off independently of HDMI-CEC which can also be on or off. In either event your AVR and TV need to be compatible and the features selected for all devices.

16. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

I'm glad to read that you found a new, and better player! Awesome. Your new Sony has gotten very positive reviews. Even here at SHF. Good to hear it's worthy. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it too. Especially, after I read your impressions on CD playback, via it's built in DAC.

17. TheVinylAddict

Another question for x1000es crowd ---- in the review above I mention that I couldn't find the type of DAC Sony used in this player. All I could find is general statements like it's a "32bit 192khz DAC" but no mention of brand / type, etc.

I mention in the review that perhaps it's a Sony proprietary DAC --- anyone care to share what they know on the DAC in this player?

I just spent another 10 min searching around and not getting a definitive answer!

Just looking for what brand / model is in there, if that exists.

18. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’ve been looking also. Can’t find anything. I don’t know but I’d guess it’s a Sony.

19. TheVinylAddict

Yeah, with the lack of anything disproving, chances are good it's a Sony proprietary DAC..... not saying that makes it good or bad, I just don't know how it stacks up against some of the "brand recognized" DACs out there.

Guess it really doesn't matter ----- what matters most is how it sounds, and if I like it. I was only able to listen to two CD's this afternoon, then at 5pm the Hawks vs Bruins started, been watching that since....

20. TheVinylAddict

Something to share from the start of my x1000es music auditioning --- maybe someone knows what can be done to change what I experienced --- but I realize it is probably a "feature" and can't be configured. Some of you might be able to skip right to the bolded question at the bottom of the post......

Yesterday, when I put my first music CD in the Sony for the first couple of minutes I was puzzled by the hollow, echoed and out of phase sound coming out of the speakers. After trying a few things, I then noticed that my center channel was playing as well as the mains! Then I figured it out, it was quite simple what the problem was, but it got me wondering.....

Some background on my configuration --- My system has a Parasound P5 preamp and a Parasound A21 power amp which feeds my main speakers - this handles all my analog duties (multiple TT's in, and the analog in from the x1000es). Simple enough if all I had was one preamp..... But the P5 preamp also has Home Theater bypass - which shares the mains and bass with my Denon x7200wa AVR.

So on the x1000es - HDMI 1 output goes directly to my TV for video, HDMI 2 out goes to my AVR for surround / movies, then my analog out goes to the Parasound P5 preamp. If I leave the AVR powered up, then when I play a CD it sends the signal out on both the analog and HDMI outputs --- meaning I get two sources / preamps playing the song -- one over the analog connection to the P5 which sends it to the main speakers, and one over HDMI2 to the AVR which then plays it on the center, surround AND on the mains too as it feeds the P5 for the mains! Thus, the out of phase because the mains is getting TWO music signals.

Realize if I turn my AVR off, everything sounds normal as the HDMI input is no longer being played --- BUT I am sure the X1000es is still sending a signal over HDMI correct? (even though the AVR is off, the signal is still being sent, right?)

Which leads to the question -- when playing a music CD, is there a way to send the signal / output ONLY to the analog out, and not to the HDMI out at the same time? In other words a way to configure what output to send the music over.... I know there probably is...... but trying to understand how I do it! On one hand you could conclude that "it's my set up causing the problem" and the point would be valid --- but on the other hand I am hoping there is a way to isolate what output (HDMI or analog out) the x1000es sends the music signal over.

21. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

And by the way, does it display track number and time on the player screen or you jave to have the tv on to get that very basic info?
    I have tried the uhp 1 last year and thought that was the best audio/video product failure of the decade... No good sound as promised, limited platform, buggy os, awkward functionalities, and not cheap! And overhyped.

22. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’m figuring that the HDMI and the analog outputs are both always active. I’ve been through the menu a bunch of times and haven’t seen a way to select one or the other. Let me know if you find something.

23. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I really like my 1000 es, but it doesn’t display the track number, only overall elapsed time.

24. TheVinylAddict

Yeah, pretty sure that's it too --- if you think about it, most of the time one would have them (analog / HDMI) ultimately both plugged into ONE preamp --- and the selection is happening on the preamp. But with my situation of basically having two preamps with the HT bypass.... well you get it.

Plus, many devices operate like that, the outputs are active and the selection is downstream to what is active.

No, I don't see any menu options either, I combed through.... Cheers.

25. TheVinylAddict

Yeah, noticed that too - but if that is the only gripe you have, then all must be good! :)

As you know, you have to turn on the TV / monitor to see track / time info assuming you have it hooked one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.