Sony UBP-x800 - DSD Question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dkmonroe, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beyond Salvation

Beyond Salvation Forum Resident

I have left it unplugged for a day to no avail. Will give the two button press a go next thanks. Given how many were sold I'm amazed there is NO info out there about repairing these not exactly cheap units! I also have a couple of cheaper units that play sacd & dvd but the sound quality of the X800 is really nice so really want to repair it.
    Plus I have three of them so if the same thing happens to the others.... :-(

2. F1fletch

F1fletch Forum Resident

…….I may be resurrecting the dead here but I have to ask, I just bought this player as a multi disc player and was hoping to play SACD’s along with regular cd’s. Just found out I cannot play SACD’s because it only outputs through the HDMI audio and not coaxial/digital. Ok, so my question is since it will down convert to pcm hen it’s probably a waste to even buy and play SACD’s until I have a compatible integrated with an HDMI audio input? That pretty much blows my whole SACD plan although I have no issues buying cd’s where I cannot find good vinyl pressings (happens a lot). Is there any advantage sound quality wise to playing an SACD as the user above did, or is simply going to be all about the particular mastering. Sounds like an easy answer but I wonder.

reidc likes this.
  3. F1fletch

F1fletch Forum Resident

I think this answers my question. I will stick with CD’s unless the mastering is superior on a SACD and is worth paying the premium for.

4. reidc

reidc Senior Member

To my knowledge Multi-Channel SACD's will not play through Coax Dig or Toslink... only through HDMI(as long as both player, Receiver and HDMI cable are all at least v 1.2a or 1.3. As for Stereo SACD's- I just don't remember if 2 channel DSD plays through Toslink or Coax. I'm not sure if it was a bandwidth issue back then, or more of a licensing issue.

MY 1st player didn't have HDMI, but neither did my receiver(20 yrs ago), and it was explained to me back then that SACD playback was through using 5.1 channel analog input on the receiver.
    Chris

5. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Yes most blurays/universal newer players have a copy protection which does not allow dsd/sacd to be played via coax; however i have one of the first Sony x800 players and it WILL play sacd thru coax with my old 2006 pioneer AVR both stereo n multi channel
    Try in ur settings n set it to output pcm instead of dsd n see if that works w ur current amp/avr

I believe the newer x800m2 does not have this capability ???

PS I also have NEVER updated the firmware either bought it 2018

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  6. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I made the mistake of letting mine upgrade. Was pretty cool over coax.

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I disagree with that, I have only a handful of SACD and that player. In my experience my hybrid SACD always sound noticeably better on the SACD layer even when converted and played through a DAC. If you use the HDMI most likely you will use an AV receiver which will generally be inferior in every respect to a good 2CH setup but even then I can still hear a noticeable improvement.

8. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Me too. I regret doing that without thinking.

bru87tr likes this.
  9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

My dad has a Sony UBP-X800 (not the “M” later version). His amp is a Sony STR-DN1080. I’d love to get him some multi-channel SACDs as a gift. However, I can’t tell whether multi-channel discs will work with those two units. They’re connected by HDMI. Any thoughts?

STR-DN1080

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It says it supports DSD up to 5.whatever MHz so my assumption is that receiver would play well with the X800 and SACD over HDMI. My plain X800 worked fine with my Pioneer that supports DSD over HDMI, so with a Sony receiver it should work even better.

CBackley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.