SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

There's a sort of screen saver setting that might be buggy. Try to turn it off, see if that helps (it did for me, on the X800's predecessor).

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm tempted at that price to have a 4k universal player. But I haven't had good luck with Sony players in the past. Still an incredible price for a 4k universal player without a doubt!

3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thanks for that, will try it. Happy New Year to you and yours!

4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Thanks. Wish I could be more specific as to what setting it was I had to turn off, but I'm away from home. It's meant to shut off the player after 30 minutes or so of inactivity. In my case, the stupid thing would occasionally fail to recognize normal Blu Ray playback as activity and turn off without warning.

5. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

If you engage the DSEE, then all audio is @ 88.2

6. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

Sony.com has a support download named “Marketing Specifications” that gives more detail on the outputs.

7. jeffrey walsh

8. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Where's the link to that?

9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

10. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

DrZhivago likes this.
  11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Not counting posts by the Sony Forum Moderators, I’m counting six complaints. Considering Sony must have sold tens of thousands of these, statistically that’s a very low number. Sure there are UBP-X800 owners that have problems and you never see their complaints, but it works both ways, there are satisfied customers that never comment either. In addition, as of today (JAN 1, 2018), there are 2,770 reviews on Best Buy with a 4.7 out of 5 rating, and with 97% of respondents recommending the device. Not saying it’s the best 4K player, but it’s clearly not as terrible as some would make you think.

Doc Diego and Brother_Rael like this.
  12. jeffrey walsh

Don’t misunderstand, love the player even without a display which I find a bit odd still. As far as video products they have always been my go to. This replaced another player (3 years old no problems) and I’m just debating on whether or not to return it. It’s currently updated and I have not found a way yet to keep this issue from happening yet. The Oppos have been an option yet haven’t bit that bullet. Great player maybe but find them cheap looking imo.

13. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

I FINALLY hooked it up yesterday (bought one as soon as they hit 150, weeks ago). For now, only have it hooked up to my 8 year old (Sony) 1080p and DN1050 AVR. My goal was just getting SACD and DVDA out of it. Netflix, Amazon, and "network media player" loaded MUCH faster than my OPPO 103 (understandable as it is couple generations newer).

Another thing I really liked about the "Apps", is the fact you DO NOT need to "register" with Sony to install anything (As in my prior Sony BD-S770 player) , they just show up.

Sound quality was a good as to be expected with my setup (PSB Alpha towers, center, sub, and surround). Now I need to pull the trigger on a 4K LED.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  14. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

docs.sony.com has the owners manual and marketing specs download. I’ve had a couple small glitches but none requiring unplugging. Hesitating to load the latest update until I read something positive or I have some major glitches. The picture and sound are very impressive even just using the coax out to my Rotel processor. No complaints last night bringing the New Year with some great dance music.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  15. BIGGER Dave

Doc Diego likes this.
  16. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Thanks hadn't seen that.

17. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

This is not true on how the Sony activates SACD or indeed Blu Ray audio.... it is as I described before on SACD-Blu Ray audio will automatically be processed at the higher rate usually 96Khz... that's only true on CD. I had this set off not sure if this will make an audible difference but it will nice to try.

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Another interesting aspect is that I have a couple of DSDx2 files which were free downloads which are on my hard drive with my other downloads. The Bryston will only accept DSDx2 and upwards versus a USB input which neither the Sony or my previous Oppo 105 have so the files would never play from the Oppo.

However because the Sony can obviously decode to PCM-these will now play interestingly enough showing 176khz not only on HDMI but also SPDIF so the file replay obviously doesn't worry them as much as the disc aspect does.

19. With the issue I mentioned, I noticed on the main screen that the player is identifying the Blurays by title, so it is at least accessing them. But then the screen goes completely black when I try and play them. It isn’t frozen though as I can get back to the player’s home screen via the remote.

20. BIGGER Dave

From page 27 of the Owner’s Manual:

No picture or the picture is not output correctly.
    • Check that all the cables are securely
    connected (page 11).
    • Switch the input selector on your TV to
    display the signal from the player.
    • Reset the [Output Video Resolution] to the lowest resolution by pressing x STOP, HOME, and then POP UP/MENU button on the remote.
    • Try the following: 1Turn the player off and on again. 2Turn the connected equipment off and on again. 3Disconnect and then reconnect the HDMI cable.
    • The HDMI OUT jack is connected to a DVI device that does not support copyright protection technology.
    • Check the [Output Video Resolution] settings in [Screen Settings] (page 21).
    • For Ultra HD Blu-ray/BD-ROM/DVD-ROM/ Data content/Network content, check the [24p Output] settings in [Screen Settings] (page 21).
    • For 4K output, please make sure that the player is connected to 4K display that supports HDCP2.2 capable HDMI input using Premium High Speed HDMI Cable or High Speed HDMI Cable that supports 18 Gbps bandwidth (page 11).

Shawn likes this.
  21. Thank you, I will give these a try.

22. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

True, only works on non-hi-res sources. I should have been more specific.

BSC likes this.
  23. BIGGER Dave

Mine arrived from MassDrop today. Heavier than I expected. The full-width chassis looks substantial stacked with my other components. Loads relatively quickly. A lack of any front panel readout will take some getting used to. But so far, seems it’s well worth the $129 MassDrop price!

sunspot42, jamesc, DrZhivago and 2 others like this.
  24. hexabc

hexabc Well-Known Member

For the setup I have (Denon 2113, ELAC B6/C5, SVS SB2000), the Sony X800 player is perfect. It is not likely that upgrading to something like Oppo 203 would bring any improvements in SQ - I'm not planning to add a multichannel audio amplifier. As it is now, DSD is converted to PCM by X800 and sent to Denon 2113's PCM DAC. Sound quality-wise, I discovered long ago that everything depends on the quality of the recording. I have SACDs which sound heavenly beatiful when played in my setup (for example, Julia Fischer's Mozart Violin Concertos). Couldn't be more happy with this player.

25. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

The x800 will pass DSD through if your receiver or whatever can handle it.