SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

2. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Over here the UBP-800 seems to have been replaced (or supplemented) by the cheaper but similar UBP-700. (About £180 compared with £230).

3. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Im very glad to see a couple of "universal" players being released; however also very disappointed that none of them will have analog 5.1 or 7.1 outs.

I'm really gonna have to get a new avr with hdmi inputs. Which just s*cks as my old pioneer avr is still going strong and is just excellent avr. Yeah its 12 years old now.

jeffrey walsh, Sterling1 and Blair G. like this.
  4. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Same here in the US their pushing sales of that 700 model with no dvda

5. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

So an AVR like this will play DSD via HDMI without having to convert to PCM, right?

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR585&class=Receiver

It also says this in the manual:
    So is there any advantage in looking for an AVR that handles DSD at this price point (sub $500) versus other receivers that will convert to PCM via HDMI? I’m looking to get into surround sound with this player.

6. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

7. Not sure what you mean by the X700 not supporting Hi-Res audio, but the X700 does play SACDs. I have one, and IMO is a relative bargain at $150 (which is the price where it seems to be offered at when on sale, which is frequent).

Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Player | UBP-X700 with High-Resolution Audio

8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:):angel:Not my words, I believe the reviewer is referring to no DVD-A on the x700. (not listed)
    [​IMG]

PhilBiker and Shawn like this.
  9. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson MITR

Some will under some conditions.

It really depends on whether (1) you will need to convert to PCM anyway in order to make use of any processing, such as bass management, in the AVR and (2) whether you can actually hear a difference.

~dave~~wave~ and scobb like this.
  10. Same features as the X800 adding Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log Gamma is what is expected. I didn't think Sony was sticking around in the universal player market, this is great news and I sure hope it is actually released.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Anyone using one of these as part of an audio-only system, not connected to a television? Without any display on the front, I'm wondering about playing blu-ray audio discs that have video menus - any tips or help?

12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

No matter what I try, I can't get more than 44.1 out of the coax with SACDs. I've tried what you say, unplugged the HDMI cable altogether and goofed around with settings. Can someone give a breakdown of settings I should be using? Thanks

13. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Under "audio settings" be sure it is set to 192kHz.

14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Is the X800 converting to anything? After-all, it's just a transport. BTW, to get bass management from my OPPO 205 DSD must be converted to PCM, not a problem except for 3 channel music, which requires I reset mains from small to large to get full bass, since there is no bass channel.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  15. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

It is. Ugh...

16. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

You are not getting SACD via S/PDIF. optical or IEC 958. What they deliver is the CD layer on a hybrid SACD disc at 16/44.1.

jfbar167, Bill Mac and scobb like this.
  17. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Just a quick update / revision to my earlier comments about the x800. I was pretty angry and tired of not being able to get the unit working. I could not get a refund but they did offer to exchange the x800. I went ahead and did that with the intention of selling the replacement and going Panny. The curiosity got the better of me so I installed the new unit. It has worked flawlessly since. So I guess I'm good with this player.

18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Your setting does not matter, since S/PDIF optical and IEC958 does not output SACD, just the CD layer of a hybrid SACD at 44.1. That's why you have a 44.1 input indication on your AVR. If you want to listen to stereo or multi-channel SACDs from a player that does not have stereo or multi-channel analog output you will need to output via HDMI to the HDMI input on an AVR or prepro.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    sunspot42 likes this.
  19. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

That's what I always thought, but after reading posts here I decided to buy the x800 and give it a shot coax into my PS Audio Gain Cell Dac. It will convert to 16/44 on non hybrid discs, but not 24/176. Oh well...

Sterling1 likes this.
  20. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Well, for sure, you are sending 16/44.1 to your DAC. Now, what up sampling your DAC does I don't know. I use my OPPO 205's usb DAC to up sample all input from 256k and up to 24/192.

SirMarc likes this.
  21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Anybody using a de-embedder with the x800? Should I get one for SACD playback?

22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

There's no way around it.

All the discs are authored differently; it's not like you can memorize buttons to push on your remote. And players vary in their operation as well. And, obviously, you cannot use any player's display.

If you have discs with option menus, you must have a TV. So, go small:

Amazon.com: 7-inch lcd tv: Electronics

jeffreybh and Steve-oh like this.
  23. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson MITR

Depends on what you connect it to. Most "transports" will automatically convert DSD to PCM if the connected device does not support DSD.

Not sure what you are saying.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Are you using a subwoofer?

25. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yes, JBL B-380. The discussion here touched on DSD and PCM output. I mentioned as a side bar my OPPO 205's 5.1 multi-channel SACD bass management only functions when the OPPO is set to output PCM. Of course, if the output is 3 channel there is no output to the sub; and, if the mains are set to small to permit let's say a 60Hz crossover, playing the 3 channel material also means no bass from the mains below 60 HZ; thus, to get the low bass, playing 3 channel music requires the mains be reset to large to receive bass output below 60 HZ.