SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Stick with the Sony. Marantz machines don't handle any less-than-perfect CDs but Sony machines seem to play through anything.

2. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I wouldn't go that far with Marantz claim (own one), but I can attest that some of my current/previous Sony machines would read through some real write-offs.

3. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Maybe another option might be, since you want to go digital into an integrated amp, is a Tascam cd200. Around $200. I have one feeding a DAC. It works great and is built really well.

4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Isn’t there a replacement model coming?
    I’m waiting for a decent discount on the “old” model, needs to be $250 or less in CDN dollars before I’ll bite

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. BIGGER Dave

I picked up my X800 from Massdrop last year for $125 USD. Maybe they’ll do another drop...

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. There's a new firmware update available but I haven't updated my X-800 yet.

8. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Correct. I have disabled all firmware update notifications on the three Sony Blu-Ray players in my house, and won't update until they won't play something. Gracenote continues to work. I very much like this function.

10. Last June I got an inexpensive Topping D30 D/A converter to match it with the Sony X-800. I was surprised when I got sound from its digital coaxial output while playing a SACD disc and even more surprised when I discovered that its ouput was at 176.4/24 PCM. On the previous firmware "update" the coaxial digital ouput got limited to 44.1/16, I damned Sony for that. I'm not doing this update until as you say well, a disc doesn't play.

11. BIGGER Dave

Was the SACD a Hybrid SACD?

12. Nope, it was the Japanese SHM-SACD for The Planets, SHM-SACD's are single layer.

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

The HDMI output is still 176.4/24 for SACD. That output is more than the optical/coax SP/DIF format is supposed to support. Sony must have discovered an incompatibility.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  14. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I bought a Sony X-1000es for an analog audio system, and although it will play Redbook CDs without a display, if I wanted to play USB sticks, it does require a display connected to HDMI. Fortunately, I acquired a used 22" TV that was just big enough for a navigation display. I could play Blu-rays, if I wanted, but have not thus far, only audio media.

PhilBiker and Steve-oh like this.
  15. I think it's more a copyright restriction issue, all SACD players I've seen and used so far mute their digital coaxial or optical outputs when playing a SACD disc. The Sonny X-800 did a great job at converting DSD to 176.4/24 from SACD's, it's not native DSD but it's still Hi Res. With the previous firmware update they disabled this and SACD's are only output at 44.1/16 resolution only. I haven't checked if the new firmware update reverts this.

SirMarc and PhilBiker like this.
  16. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

On one of my UBP-X800s, not only did I need to disable the firmware update function, I also had to do a hard reboot of the unit because it had already noted the available update and insisted on installing the update before it would let me access the internet (ie. Netflix etc.) The hard reboot cleared the threat.

I wish I had taken a pic of the warning message because it was downright misleading and insulting - only saying that I had to update my firmware in order to access the internet, and not making any mention about then subsequently losing Gracenote capability if I did.

Even more fodder for any future class action lawsuit!

PhilBiker and Audiowannabee like this.
  17. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

My X800 seems to have taken a dislike to SACDs today and is refusing to play them ... happy with Blu-Ray though.

18. I checked today the digital coaxial output of the X-800 while playing a single layer SACD and it still outputs 44.1/16. I whished I never had updated to the previous firmware.
    By the way, this new firmware states that changes the color or something on the foreground on the main screen, has anybody noticed something? I haven't, the main menu screen looks the same.

19. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You never picked up the de-embedder?

20. No, and I don't think it's really worthwhile as I have all my SACD's ripped.

21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Cool

Kiko1974 likes this.
  22. The only "discs" I often use are vinyl LP's, I rip everything I buy as soon as I get it. Last Monday I received the 40th Anniversary Superman The Movie 3 CD set, I gave it a spin to give it a first listen and I then ripped it to FLAC and then I transferred the rip to a Toshiba SSD, no spinning discs...

23. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Successfully played SACD after latest firmware. Today when I turned the power on, the player locked up with the SACD inside, refusing to play or eject the disc. Killed the power to the player. Restarted and the Dark Side Of the Moon 5.1 SACD played fine for now. Tray works.

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

so the used X800 I purchased on eBay was a dud so I had to send it back. While I decide if I get another (If I do, new this time now that they appear to be down to $200) I moved my Oppo from my living room family TV setup to my primary music listening room and wanted to share the cool little 5" display I picked up from Amazon. :cool: $19 bucks on Amazon (requires a 12 volt AC power supply but if you don't have one lying around can also purchase a universal one for ~$10 ) 5 inch perfect for navigating working Audio disc menus :)
    [​IMG]

25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm really considering selling my Oppo-203 and getting the Sony UBP-X800M2.

The only thing the Sony doesn't do is detect Dolby Vision and switch automatically.

Seems like you can start in Dolby Vision mode enabled and hit the Display button on the player. It apparently will tell you if the disc is DV enabled, and if it's not you can just turn DV output off on the player.

it's a rainy day today - I might go pick one up at BestBuy and do a shootout.

Dan Steele likes this.