SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. MOCKBA

MOCKBA New Member

I also shop for 4k player. Unfortunately I lost trust to Sony. Any other option with playback SACD also?

scobb likes this.
  2. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I believe at this point the only 2 manufacture s w/ universal players r Sony n Pioneer

ANY OTHER OPTIONS??? PLEASE Let Us Know???

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I stick with Sony players because of the need of having a SACD player in my rack (let alone the need of a 4K video player).

Would love a Panasonic but they don't do SACD, boo.

Never owned a Pioneer player.

Sterling1 likes this.
  4. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Yeah, exactly as I thought. Glad you got it up and running.

5. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Cambridge CXUHD.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Get the x800m2, its a steal. I'm sure the Pioneer would not be worth double the price.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Universal players might be down to Sony. There have been reports that the Pio LX500 has been discontinued. It disappeared at most vendors before Thanksgiving. There was supposedly new stock due by March that’s been pushed back a few months. Guys in Canada have said it’s not even on their website anymore.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Physical media is dying fast. I'm betting by the 2025 Blu-ray players will be difficult to find, apart from a few lingering budget models and maybe a couple of high-end showpiece models.

ti-triodes and PhilBiker like this.
  9. Audiowannabee

That would be so SAD :(
    I truly hope your wrong...Hey CD has been dying/ dead for over a decade...still going strong in my house
    Along w dvda sacd & bluray s

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, but try buying a new CD player. Your choices are pretty much generic junk or expensive esoteric kit, with nothing in between. DVD and Blu-ray are gonna be in the same boat within 5 years.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. Audiowannabee

There r plenty of cd n bluray players...but Universal players r definitely hurting right now (bluray sacd dvda n cd)

bever70 likes this.
  12. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

Makes me feel bad I can’t get an Oppo anymore

13. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Bad analogy. Blu-Ray 4K releases increasing, driven by visible improvements to displays and audio for movies.

Vinyl sales increasing, and TT sales.

CDs aren't because simplest to stream and related negligible improvements audible to masses and maturation of tech.

Sterling1 likes this.
  14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't think anyone other than audiophiles have been interested in buying cd players for nearly two decades. For most people, having a dedicated cd player serves no purpose when you can play cds in a disc spinner that does more than play cds.

Staxus, PhilBiker and Sterling1 like this.
  15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

As I see it you are right about this.

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

4K streaming is just becoming widespread. Within 5 years it'll likely be the norm. I don't see 4K Blu-ray surviving that except as a minor niche. We've already lost manufacturers, like Oppo.

The vast majority of turntables sold are cheap Crosley junk. It's the media equivalent of a pet rock.

17. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have 3 means to CD pleasure: an OPPO -205 UBD/CD/multi-channel SACD Player, Sony VDP-S9000ES DVD/CD/ SACD Player, and a Sony CDP-601ES CD Player. The interesting thing here is the inexpensive 20+ year old Sony sounds better than the others.

Brother_Rael and sunspot42 like this.
  18. Thanks for your reply. At this price must feature a good D/A chip.

19. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Very much a discretionary purchase for most, and subject to the overall whims of the economy, which, up until now, has been booming for the last decade. If what's happening now is just a blip in the economy then there might be more years left to vinyl's surge. But if it's a paradigm shift, triggering a depression (and not the recession that everyone knew would have to come eventually), then who knows.

Jeff

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

No D/A. Just DoP output.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  21. Then tis de-embedder is a rip off.

22. Kal Rubinson

Do you know of an alternative?

23. Nope. I think the alternative is get DSD files converted to DSD over PCM files (just a change of container and not an actual conversion) that can be played on any Hi Res player, either a DAP, a Blu ray Disc player and the likes that doesn't tamper the files playing. Moreso, with dBPoweramp you can select the output format of your DoP files as these can be WAV or FLAC, yes, DoP can be FLAC compressed (that's how I have them and played them from a Toshiba SSD) and save space and if your D/A converter plays DoP these will be recognized as DSD and played as native DSD.

24. Kal Rubinson

Then, I believe, it has a use that some might value.
    Of course but this device is for those who, despite everything, will not change their habits and eschew file playback. With files, one can just play the rip (in any format) on a suitable DAC.

Kiko1974 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  25. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

A fine choice! :thumbsup: