SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Your love of the Cambridge rivals Tim Irvines love of the Pendragon...... :)

Nothing wrong with that though! Just an observation!!! I have to admit your posts had me looking at the Cambridge / specs once or twice!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Only recently! They had a (by all accounts) rather sterile sound about a decade ago, so I'd ca' canny to some degree. I think from their 650 series for CD players onwards, you'd do alright. Not the last word, but they stepped up their standard in the last ten years. Hard to fault their blu-ray players though. 6 years this year for my 752BD.

Transport only though, the Cambridge CXC or Audiolab 6000T would be on my shortlist.

ti-triodes and TheVinylAddict like this.
  3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Another Cambridge lover here. If my CXU dies, there’s a good chance I’ll start crying!

Blair G. and Brother_Rael like this.
  4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Hello, I’m thinking about getting a Sony UDP-x800 used off of EBay for a reasonable amount less than $150. I’m planning on using this connected to my Onkyo 9010 solely for SACD and/or CD play back as an upgrade to my old Denon 5 disc CD changer. A few questions:

1. Will this operate correctly using the second HDMI (Audio only) Connection ? In other words, no hook up to a TV.

2. How much performance increase will I see for SACD playback? I ask this as I play many SACDs (redbook layer) on the Denon and they do sound fantastic. CDs also sound really excellent through the Denon probably because of the great DAC in the Onkyo 9010. Is the Sony really worth the upgrade?

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

1 You can switch the HDMI audio output in the menu to either HDMI1 or HDMI2. It would be worth seeing which you prefer.
    2 Impossible to say till you compare them. That’s really your call.

Be aware, you’ll need to hook up the Sony to a TV to access the set up menu. The remote is almost absolutely useless for audio. If you’re buying used, make sure there are no playback problems with the unit. They’re notorious for freezing.
    Personally, I’d pick up a refurb if I was going the Sony route.

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, I realized this is not gonna work as the Onkyo 9010 doesn’t have any HDMI connections. I might actually look to upgrade my tower speakers and possibly even the 7.1 stereo on my other system. I typically listen to vinyl through headphones on my main system but I’ve noticed when I play music through my Klipsch Heresy/Onkyo 9010 set up it blows away the sound quality on the Polk Monitor 70’s. I could also buy the Sony and move my Oppo-93 to the Onkyo set up, that would be another option.

7. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

Going to pick up a lightly used UDP-X800 Sat. Mainly because I have a 2016 Sony 4K TV & also want to play some SACD's & DVD-Audio discs I have. My Onkyo receiver decodes DSD, How would it read the DVD-A? I have an LG UBK90 player. Like the 4K video quality of it, but no SACD or DVD-A. Should the video quality be as good or hopefully better than the LG? I was consodering a new X800M2, Has Dolby Vision, but my TV does not. Thoughts?

8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Video should be equal. I’d go the 800M2 route. It’s worth future proofing now. Universal players seem to be going the way of the Dodo, unfortunately.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

Picked up the X800 earlier this morning. I figured at 1/3 the retail price, if I get a TV with Dolby Vision I could sell this & get an M2. Hooked up, downloaded the firmware update & set it up. I LIKE. Awesome picture with my Sony 930D. Plenty of apps, not like the UBK90 with just 2 apps, but it does have DV. Much more selections in the setup menu. Haven't played any SACD or DVD-A yet, will later tonight. Nice player. But no analog out.

PhilBiker likes this.
  10. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Anyone find a solution for the picture freeze during playback yet. Swapped out my first player because of this, everything seemed fine then one day...

PhilBiker and sunspot42 like this.
  11. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

12. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

Did you download the firmware update? Said to help with these issues.

• Improves HDMI connection stability
    • Enables HDR10 for Prime Video content
    • Solves playback issue for specific Blu-ray titles
    • Extends Ultra HD Blu-ray compatibility (Japan and North America)
    • Improves the stability of network service
    • Solves possible disc playback issues
    • Improved intense color quality on HDR Content playback
    • Improved compatibility with OLED TVs from other brands
    • Supports additional network services (YouTube, Spotify Connect)
    • Extends 4K UHD content availability on some TVs
    • UI (background) has been changed
    • Supports some network services

PhilBiker and jeffrey walsh like this.
  13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Yeah firmware is updated, annoying having to unplug it.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Where did get it at 1/3 retail?

15. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

Fellow on Facebook Market.

PhilBiker likes this.
  16. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

I aggre on that part. The SQ is determined by the D to A conversion. The quality of those pieces determine a lot. I have a Yamaha CD player that I've loved the sound of for years. A while back picked up a California Audio Labs player. Blew the Yamaha out of the water.

rednedtugent likes this.
  17. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

Just did another search on FM. A UBP-X1000ES NIB popped up little over 100 miles for $250. Oh well.

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. This may depend of the TV set the X-800 is connected to but setting the HDMI output to 4:4:4 instead of Auto (that by default sets to 4:2:2) or 4:2:2 gets slightly cleaner picture, that's my experience with this player and two 4K HDR sets I tested it with.
    Take a great looking UHD BD disc like Lucy or Sully and check what kind of output works out best for you.
    You can always set HDMI output to RGB that also looks cleaner than either Auto or 4:2:2 but if you set it to RGB, after setting you have to switch the player off, wait for some seconds and then switch it on again to get 12 bit HDR, if you change to RGB and don't reboot you only get 8 bit video.

19. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

Popped in a SACD & DVD-A last night. The SACD was a Chesky Sampler disc. The little DSD light on my Onkyo receiver came on. Nice, dynamic sound. Good vocals. The DVD-A did not fair as well. Was Eagles Hotel California. Vocals and instruments sounded congested & harsh. Have to find my CD copy and compare. I'll try some other discs today. Netflix & Youtube streamed fine. HDR video picked up fine. 4K movies are very good.

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm not sure about the multichannel program on Hotel California, but the stereo program is compressed significantly. Probably the most dynamic stereo hi-res mastering is on the downloads (HD Tracks, Qobuz). This is just data from the dynamic range database. I always judge based on my hears, but when one's ears indicate something is off I find it useful to see if the dynamic range data matches the perception. I tend to listen to the multichannel program on all discs where it's available, so for most of my SACDs and dvd-audios I've probably never even heard there stereo programs.

ti-triodes, sunspot42 and PhilBiker like this.
  21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have the Audiolab. It's an excellent transport, very happy with it.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  22. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the Blue Man Group DVD-A. Pretty awesome.

PhilBiker likes this.
  23. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I have recently connected my x800 to a Yamaha receiver that does DSD conversion and allowed the DSD. Neato.

gary7 likes this.
  24. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

What Yamaha receiver do you have?

25. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

If it’s not under warranty, you could try cleaning the lens. If that doesn’t work, there are some cheap replacement disc drives on eBay. Model # is UPX-1. The same drive is also used for the X1000es, x800m2 and x1100es.

superstar19 likes this.