SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

If you get this HDMI de-embedder, you are guaranteed to get DSD output on the SPDIF coax port, which you would connect to your Topping DX-3.
    HDMI/MHL Interface Audio I2S/DSD/Optical/Coaxial HDMI To I2S IIS for DOP Board | eBay

Ere likes this.
  2. What rev would that be ? I'm on M36.R.0338

3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

HDMI can deliver the full resolution to a compatible DAC. It’s encrypted to prevent people using it to copy material.

The output of higher resolution formats via coaxial / optical is restricted as these outputs are not encrypted and relatively easy to capture on e.g. a computer.

Some players don’t fully comply with these restrictions or can be hacked to bypass them, and all of the higher resolution formats can be ripped directly from the disc anyway with the right hardware anyway now, so it’s all becoming a bit pointless.

Ere and sunspot42 like this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Steve356 likes this.
  5. G Fehners

G Fehners Member

I read contribution by Kiko1974 regarding the Sony UBP-X800 and wonder if Kiko or anyone else can assist please? I have the Sony UBP-X800 and it is connected to an AV Receiver. I have SACD's and Cd's that I would like to play back, My AV amp and Sony X800 are currently connected to each other, principally for Blu ray playback. I am interested in purchasing a Rega Elicit Mark 5 (Integrated Stereo amp) for Stereo playback (I have a turntable) and would like to take the coax out from the X800 to the digital input on the Rega (it has a DAC onboard). Will this connection not allow playback of the SACD's and CD's via the Rega and front stereo speakers if I retain (for blu-ray AV playback) the HDMI connection between the X800 and AV Amp?

thanks all.

6. That should work. The X800 is somewhat unique among SACD players in that it will convert DSD to PCM and output via the coax connection. CDs of course would work as well. I first thought it was automatically selecting the redbook layer of a hybrid, but it works even with single layer SACDs.

7. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been addressed but will the standard M2 play region 2 (UK) DVDs?

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

No, the player is not region free out of the box. I think it is possible to buy a modded version (at a premium cost, naturally).

duneman likes this.
  9. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Thank you!

10. velo_TX

velo_TX Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

…and perform, if any, firmware updates.

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

formu_la and duneman like this.
  12. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

13. Basil68

Basil68 New Member

I just purchased the x8000 m2 and was under the assumption( via Sony Manual) that SACD's can only be played via HDMI. Because of I this I have a bit of a connection challlenge This is my connection ...x800m2 audio HDMI output to Sony TV HDMI#1 ,then Bluesound node HDMI to Sony tv HDMI#2 (arc)? when I do that connection I get a warning message on the TV about "Video signal is output via hdmi1. Audio signal is output via hdmi 2. Ultimately I am using the TV as a bridge/pass through so I can play it through the Bluesound and to my speakers? I was hoping that you might have some ideas? If I scrap that idea and go with a HDMI Audio extractor (HDMI to Optical) doesn't that then just inhibit the ability to get SACD fidelity sound because of the optical tousling connection?

14. Sorry, I don’t have any experience with a set-up of this type.

15. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

So, if you have two HDMI cables now, run one from Sony x800 hdmi#1 to your TV.
    Connect the second HDMI cable from x800 hdmi#2 to your Bluesound.
    Have no idea which TV you have and how to use it as a bridge for SACD audio.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

But the Node has HDMI eARC which is not an actual HDMI input as far as I know.

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

The UBP-x800 looks like a nice player for the price.

18. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Had the original 800 for years until it finally became unresponsive. Purchased the 800M2 and now, after 54 weeks (guess how long the warranty is?), same thing. Locked up, unresponsive. Curious if others have had this happen to their player? Expiry date of 5 years for a $250 player is tolerable, not 1 year.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My 800 was twitchy so I returned it to Costco but my M2 has been good for 2+ years with fairly heavy use.
    Seems to be the luck of the draw with this model

20. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

A firmware update dropped the specs down to 16 bit / 44.1 though I think. I never did any firmware updates so my X800 still outputs at 24 bit / 88.2 through the coaxial output.

Audiowannabee, jamesc and bru87tr like this.
  21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Had mine 5 years this month. No issues.

22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Mine is still working, but I don't use it very often.

I did buy a few 4k discs last year. Although I still use a plasma, I wanted the improved masterings. I realized while playing them that some scenes looked too dark. Also, the color seemed a little washed-out. I found that, with the player's HDR set to Auto, it was still applying medium HDR although my set can't use it. So, I switched back to using the BD discs included with the 4k sets.

BGLeduc likes this.
  23. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Most of the time the standard Blu-rays that are included with the UHD are the OLD MASTERINGs. So beware of that.

wolfyboy3 and bru87tr like this.
  24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I am having a new problem with my X800. The coaxial digital output is being fed into a DAC and all it ever displays is 48khz regardless of the source material. I am currently playing a DVD with LPCM audio 24/96. What could be causing this? I checked the settings and everything looks OK there.

25. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I read that a recent FW update limited coaxial output to 48khz.