Sony x800m2 playing DVD-A

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gf113, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gf113

gf113 New Member Thread Starter

I just got a Sony x800m2, it said that it plays dvd-a's but the handful I got it doesn't play. The last player I have that also does dvd-a is a denon 1940(i think that's the model number). These are all dvd-a's that I've made myself. Is there anything special I can do to remake or a different way I can burn the iso's to make them work?

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well I'd return it, with a copy of this page
    Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player With HDR
    (expanded to show Full Specifications) included and highlighted where it says "DVD-Audio." One disc not playing is maybe a quirk, but several is a bigger problem.

I'd hope a Gort would change the thread title to the more helpful "Sony UBP-X800M2 is NOT playing DVD-A like it is supposed to"

And if you post a more exact location, maybe some Forumite near you would loan you some more discs to test. Heck, that sounds like a good excuse to buy those titles you've been holding off spending the money on ;)

3. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

How do you know that your home made DVD-A like disks conform to the spec? You really need to try a real honest to goodness proper shop bought DVD-A on the Sony.

4. beep

beep Senior Member

I have the same player. The only DVD A I own is Love by the Beatles and it plays just fine.

5. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I've previously posted on other threads that the Sony UBP-X800 does not recognize DVD-A-R discs. I see no reason why the m2 would be any different.

It's why I still own and use two Oppo DV-980H players: they handle DVD-A-R with aplomb.

Jeff

ps. I've also posted about another X800 (frustrating) limitation: it's inability to play DDP-encoded video files.

ps. Oh, and if you live in Canada, the X800's lack of a Spotify app.

6. beep

beep Senior Member

The X800m2 only has 3 apps, Netflix, Amazon and YouTube. That's it.

7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

If the thread title is to be modified, it should include "not playing home authored DVD-A" so as not to confuse people. I'm guessing the lack of copy protection on the home authored discs is what's causing the Sony to refuse to play them -- either that or it simply doesn't like the blank DVD-Rs that were used; it plays manufactured DVD-A discs just fine.

8. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I have the 1000 es. Very skimpy on the apps. Good player though.

9. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Thanks for confirming that.
    I was failing with my own DVD-A-R discs that played fine on my old LG.
    Right. So it does not recognise those. Are we certain it plays the DVD-A hi Res stuff on official DVD-A s and not just the DVD-V section?

10. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Yes. I have experienced zero issues when playing DVD-A.

Jeff

Thoughtships likes this.
  11. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Thanks.

12. JLMontague

JLMontague Member

I know this is older news but I can also confirm. I have the same unit. Store bought DVD-A discs work fine. Self authored discs do not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.