Soprano Dr. Melfi’s mid-century office, apparently unconnected to everything else

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beadle Bamford, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Beadle Bamford

Beadle Bamford Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems used, has an unusual circular layout with custom wood paneling and shelves, a distinct mid-century flair to it. In the first episodes, the window view outside distinctively looks onto green bushes and trees just like Tony's residence, suggests a residence with a built-in therapy place. The view outside at one point changes to a neutral white, and later, they're trying to establish generic 1980+ multi-office hallways and a clandestine back-entrance for Tony, which simply doesn't fit the established interior at all.

Interesting that Dr. Melfi's therapy place always remains an anachronism and even unchanged from later recognized script demands. They had distinct dream sequences but this location seems like a dream place on its own.

I very much like the place, by the way. Seems like a good environment to conduct therapy the way Dr. Melfi conducts it.

905 likes this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Didn't an episode in season one where Christopher follows Tony there show it was in a business district? He slips between some stores or something to make sure no one is following him.

EDIT: Oh, and I just remembered there is one where he almost gets spotted by Silvio leaving a dentist office. So they must be in the same health center.

Beadle Bamford likes this.
  3. Beadle Bamford

Yes, that’s what I meant. They later tried to establish Tony going to a “health center” through front or back door or whatever, but could you imagine Dr. Melfi’s continuing battered-up mid-century therapy place with the stone floors and the custom circular paneling and shelves in one of those? There is a discrepancy there that they didn’t try to fix, probably on purpose.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    twicks and mmars982 like this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Don't stop believing.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've read that Lorraine Boccho originally read for Carmela's role but didn't take it because she had done Goodfellas. Guess she didn't want to be typecast. Could you imagine her switching the roles with Edie Falco? Both of these actors could have easily played either part!

905, Vidiot and Beadle Bamford like this.
  6. Beadle Bamford

Yes, I’ve read similar, David Chase considering Lorraine Bracco (kinda obviously) as Tony’s wife, but Lorraine vehemently campaigning for the role of the therapist, a different type. Thanks to the muses it turned out that other way!

905 likes this.