SOTA in Single Driver Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Nov 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Do you mean a 15 litre bass reflex cabinet? That is pretty tiny. A friend is building a "tiny" 170 litre bass reflex cabinet for an Altec 604 because he concluded that the 320 litre Onken cabinet he would really like is too big for the room.

murphythecat likes this.
  2. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

My DIY system uses 3" Faital satellites with 12" woofers, which are loaded aperiodically.

So no crossovers above the 300-hz passive electronic xover. I really like the sound, kind of Bose done right.

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Confusing thread title since SOTA is a turntable manufacturer.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Voxativ Loudspeakers in Germany are right up there in SOTA although they sometimes "cheat" in their upper tier models with bass modules and DSP correction.
    I listened to the "ZETH" system for quite a while and was amazed at the vocal realism.
    Unsure how they would sound with more demanding material.

Voxativ LOUDSPEAKERS

audiomaniac likes this.
  5. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Avanti,

I really like the Voxativ Ampeggio system I heard as well as several other systems I've heard utilizing their drivers. The prices can be pretty eye-watering, such as the $59,000 per pair price for their field-coil drivers. If you can get to Charney Audio, in New Jersey, you can hear their systems utilizing a Voxativ driver as well as other full range drivers they offer as options in their systems-AER and Lowther. I have not heard their systems with the Lowther driver, but, I've heard them with the Voxativ and AER driver. Both sound terrific.

avanti1960 likes this.
  6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Yes, they would definitely need bass support in a small BR box. The first time I head the 12p was in an 18 litre Onken style cabinet. They had a cold, hard sound, but could be played really loud with 20 watts, like 105db peaks.:shh:

That convinced me to build Super Pensil cabs for mine. That's where the magic happens for this driver. There is also a tapped horn enclosure for the 12p, called the Joan, which I haven't heard.

jeff

murphythecat likes this.
  7. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

well, a 6 inch driver in a 300l will still not produce the bass I like.
    so I rather just build a small br and supplement with subs

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Know of any single driver/horn websites that might have a classifieds selling such speakers? ...

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

[BUMP]

10. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I don't think there are classifieds specializing in single driver or horn speakers just check the usual suspects like Audiogon and USA Audiomart. There are manufacturers who sell direct if that's what you meant. Volti and Bache are two that come to mind.

bhazen likes this.
  11. phred

phred Forum Resident

Omega do a good job with a single driver

bhazen likes this.
  12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Omega sells direct from its webpage.

bhazen likes this.
  13. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

Audioasylum has a sale section devoted to high efficiency speaker designs.

bhazen and jonwoody like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.