Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

#1 on Scamazon US in Movies and Soundtracks. #12 in Pop CDs & Vinyl. #49 in CDs & Vinyl.

As of today.

Lewisboogie and Paperback Writer like this.
  2. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

The movie is a fantasy involving an approximate timeline. I mean, Pandora's Box and the Playboy Mansion coexist in the film, and neither one was around in 1969.

3. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Still spinning this soundtrack regularly.. Really dig "Son of a Lovin' Man." I never knew of that song before.

5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

There’s some great tracks on there, I’ve been listening too Choo Choo Train and Jenny Take A Ride quite abit , it’s a great soundtrack . The LP is out next Friday in the UK.

6. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Yes, a brilliant soundtrack and one which I enjoy more with each listen. The cover of 'California Dreaming' is a real stand-out for me. Unfortunately, I just received news from HMV that my (coloured) vinyl order is now delayed until the 25th October. :rolleyes:

hi_watt, Paperback Writer and Carl80 like this.
  7. Paperback Writer

From recent quality article from The L. A. Times:

How Quentin Tarantino got the '60s sound for 'Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood'

On Wednesday, even Tarantino’s conversation was peppered with such callbacks. Onstage, moderator David Wild, a rock journalist and Grammy scriptwriter, got a text from another favorite Tarantino soundtrack source, Neil Diamond, suggesting the director sync a few more tunes in his next project. Tarantino’s movies have always mined vintage rock for unexpected revelations and new contexts, ever since his impeccable use of Dick Dale’s “Misirlou” in Pulp Fiction.

“I want to be known for my discography as much as my filmography,” Tarantino said. When he’s picking soundtrack cuts, he joked that he imagines that “every director I know is in there going ‘Oh god, now I have to get out of the business’.”

“Once Upon a Time …” was a chance to marinate ever deeper in the era’s AM radio (especially the old L.A. station KHJ). Tarantino and music supervisor Mary Ramos unearthed around a full daytime block’s worth of recordings from the era for research — ad jingles, DJ patter and all. Drive-time radio wasn’t just a historical reference point in the film, he said, but a way to set the ambience in the eternal, doomed summer of ’60s L.A. at the margins of the movie business.

8. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I received the orange vinyl set from HMV UK today, very nice indeed! It includes a large movie type poster and the smaller cartoon map of Hollywood and outlying areas. There's also a separate double sided insert with track listing and credits. HMV also refunded me in line with their "price promise" so it cost me less than I initially thought.

9. Paperback Writer

“Uncut” , longer version released into theaters, TODAY. Says just 10 minutes more, despite more evidently available.
    From an article: 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' heads back to theaters with 10 additional minutes - KVIA

“Audiences have shown tremendous support for this movie,” Adrian Smith, Sony’s president of domestic distribution, said in a statement. “And we look forward to offering them another opportunity to see the film as it’s meant to be seen — in theaters on the big screen — with more sights and sounds of the sixties from Quentin Tarantino as an added treat.

The new version could have been even longer, reports Indiewire.

The film’s first cut was four hours and 20 minutes, so there’s still more unused footage. Tarantino has final-cut rights built into his contract.

10. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The LP is out today, thinking of throwing an order in.

Neonbeam and Paperback Writer like this.
  11. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

Anyone get this on vinyl yet? How does it sound?

Paperback Writer likes this.
  12. ilhuicamiztli

ilhuicamiztli Forum Resident

Picked up a copy of the orange edition in HMV this afternoon. I’m now just finishing side four and have been enjoying it - i’ll probably be playing this soundtrack often. The discs are perfectly flat and clean, both sound very quiet.

13. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

So far I've listened to side one, and it does sound pretty good. Since I loved the movie, this soundtrack is a nice souvenir, and is very fun to listen to . The inserts are great, and it was worth the purchase.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  14. More to the point, are there any online sources for vintage airchecks and the like? Maybe this has already been covered. Anyway, as is generally the case with vintage off-air recordings of commercial broadcasts, the ads are almost as entertaining as the content - if not often moreso.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

There are some good resources in this thread '60s/'70s era Radio Airchecks discussion/appreciation/aquiring/looking for/ect....Thread

16. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I apologize for not reading this entire thread but is there a way to get a pressed CD instead of the "made to order" CD-R that I received from Amazon when I ordered earlier this year?

17. Get it from Target or another store? My copy from Barnes & Noble was a pressed CD.

Various - Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (OST) (CD)

Lewisboogie and Paperback Writer like this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

From an extra scene on the DVD

19. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

20. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

I'd say Wes Anderson is at least his equal with regard to curation of soundtracks.

Paperback Writer and Syscrusher like this.
  21. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

Just seen this today from facebook thought some of you would find it intresting like I did ....

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When Cliff is coming out of the ranch house you hear about 5 seconds of The Young Rascals' Love is a Beautiful Thing.

23. Reverb

Reverb Forum Resident

Assuming he curates his own soundtracks, Ive felt for a long time that Quentin Tarantino would make a much better disc jockey than film-maker. The Pulp Fiction soundtrack is amazing. Gotta admit that the Once Upon A Time In Hollywood trailer promises a better film than the last several of his I watched.... but Quentin Tarantino kinda sucks. (in a way its not relevant to the thread, but I feel better now that I said it)

scottc1963 likes this.
  24. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Lame threadcrap.

25. Reverb

Reverb Forum Resident

I apologize. I was agreeing that he makes good soundtracks but it came out sideways and negative. Didnt mean to be a bummer.