"Sour Grapes" Well-made documentary on Netflix about wine

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I was surfing Netflix documentaries and spotted one called "Sour Grapes." It's about wine auctions and how one mysterious man drove up the price of rare wines and then turned out to be counterfeiting the bottles. I started watching it half-interested, but wound up watching the whole film.

You may or may not find the subject interesting, but why I am even mentioning this film for is to point out "Sour Grapes" as an extremely well-made documentary. A couple years ago, you never saw that many documentaries, but now they're widely in vogue, so much so that they're starting to feel a little generic. I generally get bored watching them because almost all of them depend heavily on "talking heads" to tell the story.

"Sour Grapes" also relies on this technique but the film is edited and constructed in a way that it has real movement to it. It doesn't "sit down" with a repetition of talking-head interviews. It very adeptly weaves recorded and live footage and interviews in a manner than makes it an exceptionally well-crafted documentary, one of the best I've seen. I think if you're interested in making documentaries, you should check out "Sour Grapes" as a role model for how to keep a documentary lively and interesting.

I think my favorite moment in the film is when the owner of prestigious wine shop tastes one of the six bottles a collector has paid six thousand dollars apiece for, and the wine expert accesses the supposedly rare French Bordeaux -- that is actually a home-brewed fake -- as tasting like "skunk juice." I got such a laugh.

kevywevy and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.