"Space Rock" -- has it lost all meaning as a genre?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Nov 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Here And Now opening the Stonehenge Free Festival 1983 footage:

Soundhead and bzfgt like this.
  2. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Interesting. I always assumed people were using space rock synonymously with psychedelia. Learn something new every day...

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun!

jay.dee and bzfgt like this.
  3. themrock

themrock Active Member

Mad shadows, Svetonio and bzfgt like this.
  4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

IMO, Steve Hillage is the greatest solo artist of the original the late 1960s/ 1970s British Progressive music movement. His take on the Space Rock genre is rather phenomenal.

Steve Hillage Ether Ships (from Green, 1978)

uzn007, bzfgt and Soundhead like this.
  6. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

How tied is space rock to human exploits in space?
    There was a golden age of space travel and exploration for humans. It was in the 60s and 70s.

I did think back in the 80s that by 2020 we would be having manned missions to Mars.

Slow progress.

7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Psychedelia certanly was zeitgeist (it was well reflected also on visual arts, fashion and literature as well as on the 'way of life' at the time) that spawned so-called "Progressive music" as an Undeground-music movement where the bands were all pretty original in their own styles and so inspiring that they quickly have got the cultish followerships (I won't say "imitators"), and hence distinct genres of "Prog" were born. One of those genres is that groovy, guitar-oriented Space Rock that started with Hawkwind, Steve Hillage, some Gong' songs, early UFO.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Steve Hillage The Salmon Song (live 1977)

jay.dee likes this.
  9. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

They'd have to play 'Watcher of the Skies' presumably?

bzfgt likes this.
  10. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Words have meaning. And their meaning doesn't change. Unless of course, they refer to music genres.

11. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Actually, most of space-rock stuff is lyrically related to space, but as someone has already said, space-rock is primarily sound, so e.g. Steve Hillage could have sing about swimming with salmon and electrick Gypsies and make it Space Rock.

Steve Hillage Electrick Gypsies (Live From The Rainbow Theatre, 1979)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  12. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Space and time are pretty much the same thing. Time Rock?

bzfgt and CassetteDek like this.
  13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

UFO Star Storm (from Flying, 1971)

jay.dee likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Ahhh, stoner rock. If you want to see a jacked up thread, just check out any thread here with “stoner rock” in the title. You’ll have people offering correct responses like Kyuss, Monster Magnet and Sleep and a bunch of doofuses recommending Foghat and Grand Funk Railroad. Some old-timers think “stoner rock” simply means rock that one listens to while on the weed rather than a specific sub-genre that emerged in the 90s.

15. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I don't think they are the same thing, but I'm not the guy to ask. But the thought of Space is Time would make for some great song titles or an album concept.

bzfgt and Evethingandnothing like this.
  16. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Maybe we should start a thread about the general nature of Psychedelic Rock, Krautrock, Space Rock, Stoner Rock, and Prog Rock. Or we could do that here, but I don't want to singularly hijack the thread. But it looks like it's going that way of it's own volition.

jay.dee likes this.
  17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

As inexplicable short was that earliest, space-rock phase of later famous British heavy-metal band UFO was, it also seems certain that "UFO 2 - Flying - One Hour Space Rock" the album will remain as one of the cornerstones of the space-rock genre.

UFO Flying (from Flying, 1971)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    jay.dee likes this.
  18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Exactly. For example, this 21-minute long space-rock track is from just released new CD/LP by Danish band Øresund Space Collective:

Øresund Space Collective Summit (from Four Riders take Space Mountain, 2020)

bzfgt likes this.
  19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Another lovely song by a contemporary space-rock band; It's Comming... from new CD/double LPset by SLIFT from Toulouse, France.

SLIFT It's Coming... (from Ummon, 2020)

20. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

21. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

This is probably closer to the classic Hawkwind spacerock sound from their early albums.

bzfgt and Svetonio like this.
  22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

These Londoners brought a superb contemporary space-rock music at their CD/LP release from November 2019:

Psychic Lemon White Light (from Freak Mammal, 2019)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    bzfgt and Soundhead like this.
  23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

German band The Spacelords have released an excellent CD/LP this year, with a beautiful artwork done in the style of the 70's Science Fiction scenery. Well, there are plenty of rather good contemporary space-rock bands these days; in fact, the genre is experiencing its renaissance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Spacelords Spaceflowers (from Spaceflowers, 2020)

namlook, bzfgt and Soundhead like this.
  24. These guys are great, also from Germany, Electric Moon (probably my fav of the current space rock bands) are worth checking out as well as a whole bunch of other bands from all over the world including Acid Rooster, Korb, The Cosmic Dead, The Band Whose Name Is A Symbol, Hawkeyes, Mote, Kombynat Robotron, Charlottas Burnin' Trio, Rymdstyrelsen, Hills, Kanaan, Meteor Vortex, Yuri Gagarin, Lamagaia, Space Invaders, Here The Captain Speaking, The Captain Is Dead, Zone Six, Snakes Don't Belong In Alaska, UFO Över Lappland.... etc etc

There are loads of Space/Acid/Motorik/Kosmiche rock bands around

Svetonio and bzfgt like this.
  25. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

So I picked up this Spacelords release and hoo boy is it smokin'. I have never heard this band before, but now I'm definitely interested to check out their back catalogue. Any other bands like this that I should know about?

Svetonio and bzfgt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.