Speakers for computer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TSWisla, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I need some suggestions for computer speaker(s). As my desktop will be placed very close to my main stereo system, which obviously has many components and as such real estate will be very precious. I need some computer speaker(s) with decent sound and small footprint and am not opposed to some bluetooth single box speaker.

Thanks.

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Why not plug into your regular system if it is close?

The FRiNgE likes this.
  3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Do exactly what this poster said!

JackG likes this.
  4. coopmv

I don't want my bipolar towers to be blasting out every system response, prompt, etc ...

I have connected my current computer to my main stereo system via the outboard DAC for years but when the stereo is not on, the built-in speakers on the monitor are barely audible.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  5. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

I just went the DIY route with the overnight sensations and a cheap lepy amp from amazon. Pretty pleased with the results.

6. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I like Nearfield powered monitors. Most guys tend to use either a sub with these. Nearfields are designed for close listening... as in sitting near the speakers.

I got these and they're fantastic, powered, direct out of your computer's soundcard.
    a bit pricey for me but I do all my mixing on this computer so flat was imperative.
    https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS8-Studio-Monitor-Black/dp/B00DCYMVB2

friend of mine has these, much cheaper, but also very good
    https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-Studi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E96GRTXM1CYXGC47XBBX

7. coopmv

Thanks!

The Yamaha's are beyond my budget as I only want the speakers to go with my secondary desktop but the Mackies look promising. When it comes to computer speakers, the only two brands I am familiar with are Altec and Logitech though a number of mainline speaker companies have jumped into the game but most of the offerings are aimed at folks who use their computers as their main sound system and are relatively high priced. Actually, I would not mind a good one-box speaker since I always have the option to listen through my main audio system.

8. Brad2021hk

Brad2021hk Forum Resident

There are two reasons computer speakers were developed. One of those reasons is obsolete. Computers used to have CRT monitors. If you put un-shielded speakers near a CRT, the magnets in the speakers would screw up the monitor. The other reason is that people just wanted self-contained and small speaker systems for ease of connection and minimize space impact. Of course, like a lot of things, marketing takes advantage of special categories to the point you forget why they originally exist. If you drop the shielding constraint and the space constraint, you have lots of options.

I built some Overnight Sensation TM speakers from a kit. Put them 10" high stands that I built out of plywood, which double as storage for A5 sized notebooks. I currently use a Chinese EL34 Class-A amp, but used to use a SMSL Q5 Pro Class-D amp. I use a Topping D30 DAC.

9. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

10. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I'd go with Kanto yu-4. Available in real bamboo. Bluetooth, phone preamp, lots of inputs. The yu-6 if you have the room.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

years back I bought a pair of little Harmon /Kardon PC speakers...I still use them and they sound wonderful...
    [​IMG]

12. coopmv

HK is now owned by Samsung. So maybe the HK computer speakers are rebadged as Samsung! :D

13. Michael

see pic above...

14. coopmv

Looks like those Altec Lansing computer speakers that came with my Windows 95 Gateway 2000 desktop. They are now in the basement of my house ... :D

[​IMG]

15. Michael

different animal...

16. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I just bought a pair of active Presonus Eris E5 speakers. Bought to replace my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 setup.

Settled on the E5 due to their size (the smallest footprint of any speaker with a 5" woofer that I could find) and the fact that they are front ported (they will be close to the wall). The price was also right at $270 a pair. I wanted a pair of Pioneer Bullit 5's but the deeper dimensions would have them take up too much desk space.

Ideally I'd have bought a pair of Dynaudio or Focal actives but those are too pricey. ESI speakers look good as well but they were more money than the Presonus and not in stock locally.

I haven't gotten the E5's yet so no idea how they will compare. The Klipsch are awesome for what they are...hoping these are even better.

c-eling likes this.
  17. mds

mds Forum Resident

I have this speaker and it works out fantastically as a desktop nearfield self powered speaker. They are great for music and gaming. Speakers disappear and the monitor doesn't seem to get in the way. Amazon has them for about $300 for the pair, which I think for what you are buying is a great deal.

305P MkII Products | JBL Professional

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.