Speakers for denon mini system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tanqueray cowboy, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone run the Denon D-M41 through different speakers and dug the results? Looking for something relative to the price paid for the system. The Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 pair for $175 have my attention.

2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'd suppose the mini-system has a fairly "mini" power output to it - around 20-25 WPC, solid state? For that I'd suggest getting speakers with as high efficiency/sensitivity as you can get, otherwise that mini system is never going to give you the oomph you'd want, due to lack of power.

I have a Yamaha mini-system I used to run in my kitchen, 20 WPC. I made a point to get as high-sensitivity speakers for it as is attainable in budget bookshelf type, and found Klipsch RB-51's, with 92 db. While the sound was OK for what the combo was, overall it was still "meh". That's why that mini-system is back in a box, and I brought my Yamaha receiver, at 100 WPC back into the kitchen system. Now those Klipsch speakers really sing. Of course, I sacrificed a lot of space for that, but it was worth it.

Those little Wharfedale's, IIRC, have sensitivity of about 87 dB - you see where I'm going with this? You need either more power on the amp side, or more efficient speakers, to get decent sound.

McLover likes this.
  3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Many times these systems only sound decent with their own speakers because they were designed to work specifically together and compensate for the shortcomings of each other. Other times you may "get lucky" and discover that another set works as well. As Benzion suggests, a larger, and more efficient speaker might offer the best chance of that.
    -Bill

forthlin likes this.
  4. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Get some used KEF Coda 7 or 8 speakers on eBay. Decent sensitivity, great bass, in an unbelievable small package. What Hi-fi award winners some years ago. Often overlooked these days.

5. tanqueray cowboy

Thanks everyone. The Denon speakers that came with really aren't bad. They fill the small space I am in. Still, I do read this forum ...

timind likes this.
  6. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I had an Onkyo mini system in my old office, it wasn't bad, but the Onkyo speakers were meh.

I brought a paid of KEF Coda 7's I had, and was amazed. The KEF speakers were more sensitive than the Onkyo, so right away I got more output (nice for before and after-hours). And the sound was a million times better, the bass on the KEF speakers extended at least another octave.

I later tried KEF Coda 8's, even better bass.

Which led me to purchase two pairs of KEF Coda 70's (note the zero on there), a newer model manufactured in China and featuring real ash (black stain) veneer and construction that was amazing. I kept those quite a while and then found another home for them.

You can never find 70's, they just didn't make many of them. 7's and 8's are around, though.

There are no 9's, never were, because 7 8 9. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

7. tanqueray cowboy

My son loves that joke about 6 being afraid of 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.