Spendor BC1 Woofer replacement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RemyM, May 24, 2022.

1. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine just blew up. Red alnico woofer. Anybody has tips replacement wise? Such a sad day.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I would contact Spendor first and ask if it can be rebuilt.

jeff

3. RemyM

If read elsewhere that they don’t. Either is very expensive or they just don’t have it anymore. Have emailed them but don’t expect anything back. Those speakers are 50 years old.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Always glad to help.
    https:/www.fwhifi.co.uk
    Or email [email protected]
    Or 0121 427 4740
    The firm is Fiveways hi fi.
    Based in Birmingham.
    The Web site is very informative.
    They will restore drive units, cabinets and crossovers.
    Bci rated very highly.

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Spendor can't offer any help or advice. A couple of different speaker driver makers, on the other hand, will probably point you in the right direction. Contact Vifa and Scanspeak directly to ask about a BC1 woofer equivalent. One of them probably has a drop-in replacement or something more than close enough.

The FRiNgE and RemyM like this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

The trick is to find the cheapest paper 8" and coat it with wood glue - like the original. And keep the sensitivity below 87dB.

[​IMG]

8" speakers these days are not so keen on such a huge ported box. Here's one with similar Fs: Peerless by Tymphany HDS-P830869

bibijeebies and Agitater like this.
  7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think the original BC1 woofer had a bextrene cone, not doped paper? The Peerless driver in your link should work well in a BC1 - good find.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The BC1 woofer is not made anymore.
    That's why the Stirling LS3/6 uses a new driver made by SEAS.

jonwoody and The FRiNgE like this.
  9. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Yes I realize the speakers are old, and therein lies the problem. Have a look thru the page below, there may be some info for you to follow up on getting repair options.

Spendor BC1 Speaker Repair

jeff

RemyM likes this.
  10. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Vifa poly cones are indeed capable of good midrange sound (having heard them in Vandy 1Cis) but I cannot comment on compatibility in terms of size and mounting.

If you haven’t already, maybe reach out to Derek Hughes through the Spendor group:
    spendor groups.io Group

The FRiNgE and RemyM like this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

:wtf:

12. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

There is SO MUCH BAD ADVICE here!
    Never replace a driver with a different one.It will ruin the sound.The box and crossover has been specifically designed to suit that driver and to integrate with the other drivers.
    The best option is to have the voice coil rewound to the original specifications.If that is not possible try to track down a second hand one.
    The Spendor BC1 is an excellent speaker and worth spending money on.

CowFish and Mad shadows like this.
  13. RemyM

Have mailed. Thanks!

14. RemyM

Thanks all. Have some options. My local recordstore guy is using the BC1's with Warfdale woofers. Will let you know what comes out of the options.

15. harby

harby Forum Resident

Fortunately, someone has done an extensive measurement and documentation of at least the ceramic magnet woofer version of this speaker, and we can see for example, how putting a different woofer such as the Peerless/Tymphany I linked would respond with the same enclosure and same crossover:

[​IMG]

As is evident, the BC1 woofer has a high Q; no other 8" speaker is like it in this mass-loaded resonance to go along with lower efficiency. The Peerless can be padded down 1dB for identical crossover matching, and the sound would just be "warmer", instead of the original's "Bose". Bass rolloff of a too-big box is showing, and could then benefit by putting 10 liters worth of bracing in the 1/2" plywood box to reduce the box volume.

Replacing both woofers ensures the other won't blow tomorrow and they are matched again, and the peaking crossover can also be re-examined.

[​IMG]

Modern, we'd put a truncated tweeter right next to the truncated woofer frame high in the box. I've got Infinity 8" that are mostly good for holding up better speakers for that reason.
    [​IMG]

The FRiNgE likes this.
  16. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I spoke to the proprietor sometime ago.
    He was quite clear that the BC1 was
    In a class of its own.
    The drivers will need overhaul to
    Attain original spec.
    Once done they are as new

To my mind the only option.

CowFish and jonwoody like this.
  17. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Good suggestion if the voice coil bobbin has not overheated and warped, but this could be replaced. I like your solution. A talented tech could keep the spider intact, and all of the originality of the driver. But I don't think the other suggestions are bad!

5-String likes this.
  18. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Nothing else will sound like those bextrene cones.Not just because of the bextrene material but because of the unique cone profile .Harbeth have gone to a lot of trouble to replicate the sound and construction of those woofers but even their drivers will not the sound the same.

Mad shadows and RemyM like this.
  19. RemyM

John replied. I think he can fix the woofer. Might send it to the UK then. Thank you so much for the tip!

jonwoody likes this.
  20. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Heard that the B&W DM4 (also bextrene) woofer can be used as a replacement.
    DM4 is still a very common speaker here in the Netherlands.
    Of course you need to replace both woofers then.

[​IMG]

CowFish likes this.
  21. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

RemyM likes this.
  22. RemyM

So yeah. I can send them to the UK and then they will fix my original for 155 pounds plus shipment back and forth. Or i can change the two woofers with vintage Warfdale or B&W woofers for 100 to 200 euros.

I know its not a original BC1 anymore then but will the difference be very big?

23. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Important is to use bextrene replacements. I had dozens of them in the past.
    They are special and contribute to an exceptional sweet midrange (vocals).
    Have you noticed that the DM4 also uses a Celestion tweeter and Coles supertweeter?

I noticed that you are in the Netherlands too. So, what's keeping you?

24. RemyM

haha. I have a beautiful set of Spendors. Just wanna fix those.

25. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Those are 4 ohm so completely unsuited.The Spendors are 8 ohm.The crossover point would be out by an octave.