Spikes - when to use and when not to

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Katz, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The idea is really not mine regarding vibrations using spikes and soft feet, it was investigated with measurements and theory more than 30 years ago when the spikes "arrived". Even blind tests have been performed. The example I gave with speakers on a piece of IKEA furniture is just an example to make it more easy to hear and measure the effects. In reality you will find cases from the immeasurable and inaudible to clearly measurable and audible effects of having spikes vs soft feet.

Lastly some comments with respect to subjective judgement; you will find all sorts of impressions using soft feet, roller balls, spikes, blu tak; the list goes on. The problem is that subjective and open judgements are never universal to anything, the are just personal. So I find it quite useless to go into those discussions. In my world I use the stuff that gives the best fidelity based on more objective evidence. It has turned out to sound great as well, according to my own subjective judgment.

2. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Yep, spikes and soft feet and their importance goes back to the early 80s but more recently the idea of allowing the speakers to move has been shown to be a better option for many.

I've found that when you've live with your system for many years you're able to identify even small improvements. Some 'tweeks' don't show an improvement or it's debatable, personally if I'm unsure I wouldn't recommend it.

Example of a clearly discernible difference is a dedicated power supply and cleaning all connections.

Once we successfully address mechanical energy we're in you'd have to be deaf territory.

Regardless of that I've always trusted by judgement when it comes to "Does it sound like music", when you're having a dem you'll often find the difference between equipment is pretty subtle, you have to trust your judgement then.

MGW likes this.
  3. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I find that they tighten the bass and clean up the upper frequencies. But on my carpeted wooden floors I have a granite slab, Herbies Fat Dots, then a mdf board sandwich. Herbies Gliders sit on this.
    Cheers, Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.