Spin Clean issues/mistakes....need advice!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dthomas850, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I'm going from memory here, but I recall the Spin Clean instructions saying tap is fine for cleaning the Spin Clean pads and rinsing the bin, but you can use distilled for that if you want to.

Shawn likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think the hard plastic parts could be rinsed with tap if you hand dry them, though. You just don’t want minerals air drying on.

3. I've had my Spin Clean for ages (10 years at least) and never rinsed the pads under distilled water. Obvioulsy not a bad idea but no ill effects from using tap here. Plus, I like the pressure of the tap water coming out of the faucet to help rinse them, I don't think that's possible using distilled.

4. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

One other point about getting the best results:

After going to the effort of properly cleaning and drying your records, place the cleaned LP in a Mofi or similar quality sleeve.

The paper or plastic sleeves that most records come in should go straight into the recycle bin.

5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I had never thought of this but makes sense.

CBackley likes this.
  6. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

The first thing I do is trash the paper sleeve if it’s blank. However, on a lot of older records, they show other stuff, such as other records from that maker or lyrics and I keep those.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Well quite a few people had reported success with it, and visits to a couple of shops looking for distilled water turned up purified water (by the gallon).

So I figured I'd give it a shot, I was only out fifty cents and a couple of albums I had to re-clean.

Honestly, I'm glad I tried because I might not have switched to using straight 91% iso had I not, and honestly I haven't had anything clean an album w/o leaving some degree of surface noise behind, better than the straight 91% iso.

So I guess there is a silver lining to every cloud after all.

8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Not sure if its mentioned in this thread.
    One quick tip: Fill the reservoir up about 1/4" over the line.
    This keeps the rollers from wanting to pop out and also quiets the operation down quite a bit as well.

Bradd, thetman, astro70 and 2 others like this.
  9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

It depends. I've been buying used Music Matters Blue Notes and other top shelf jazz pressings and people generally treat those like gold.

10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

One of my rollers always tried to pop out. I replaced it eventually. I didn’t think about overfilling the basin.

Has anyone ever had issues with SpinClean messing up record labels? Sometimes I get some fluid on the paper labels. They seem fine so far.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I can see going a small amount over, but 1/4 might get the water too close to the label.

12. Vinyl Addict

Hence the "about a 1/4". I don't get out a tape measure when I do it. :D It's just a helpful tip.

Not sure how you guys are getting the labels wet when cleaning, unless you are spinning the records at warp speeds and causing the reservoir to splash around.
    Once every dozen records or so the water may dribble down onto the label and not follow the grooves as it usually does. I just pat it dry with my towel.

Big Blue likes this.
  13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, you’re clearing a bar when you buy used records that mostly audiophiles/collectors are likely to buy in the first place. I’d believe you’re getting stuff that’s pretty clean if that’s what you’re buying.

musictoad likes this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

No problem with labels when I was using it. The solution seems to faithfully follow the grooves and not get into the runout area.

CBackley and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. Three quid

Three quid Chief Eggplant

My experience as well.

Returned it, got an Okki Nokki and never looked back!

CBackley likes this.
  16. adomanim

adomanim Active Member

One more thing.

The brush that comes with the Squeaky Clean rcm is not a paintbrush. It is a record cleaning brush similar in design to what mofi and disc doctor sells. I don't know what video you are watching.

Again, scrubbing is NOT what cleans the record. The brush should only be used for gentle agitation and spreading of fluid and water during cleaning and rinse cycles.

If you need to scrub excessively to clean you have a really nasty record or your cleaning fluid is weak.

Big Blue likes this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yep, that’s time to get the enzymes out.

18. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I've had my SC for about 6 months now, and a few things I've noticed after cleaning probably close to 600 records with it:

1. The 50 LP suggestion is bogus for most used records. If you're cleaning only brand new or already clean records, sure, but with most used stuff that you have no idea what it's been through, 20 or 30 records should be the maximum amount per batch.

2. Fill the spin clean slightly over the line, a few records I've cleaned have had grooves that are closer to the label and didn't get cleaned until I added more water

3. Try letting the records drip dry. I have a magazine rack I use to hold LP covers and sleeves while playing them, and I (gently) put the records in there and wait for them to drip dry. I feel like when you use the microfiber drying cloth method, it only pushes crap down into the grooves again such as dust and micro particles from the air.

4. I wash my brushes with soap and then thoroughly rinse them between washes. I rub them together vigorously and then push them together to push out any trapped dirt. (usually what comes out is absolutely nasty so I recommend doing this at least every few batches if not after every batch. It probably makes the brushes last not as long, but I'd rather replace brushes than grind my LP collection with dirt filled brushes.

5. I like to pull the LP mostly out after it's been cleaned, and leave it to drip any excess fluid before moving it to my drying rack. No point in dripping it all over the floor or wasting your cleaning solution.

6. Clean out the sc itself, lots of dust and dirt gets stuck to the inside of the reservoir. I wash it almost like you're washing a dish. Warm water and soap, sometimes while also running a clean cloth through the narrower parts to get the dust out.

Overall, remember that using a dirty spin clean isn't doing you any good. Better to clean it thoroughly before trapping even more dirt in the grooves.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

What Spin Clean are you using?

20. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I rinse off the pads with distilled water after each use

21. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

Aha, thanks, that's interesting - I have been using Spin Clean successfully for 8 years and only recently noticed that some new LPs seemed to play back with more noise after cleaning. The differences in my usual cleaning ritual lately are (1) I've bought many more new albums in the past two months, thanks to Christmas and the big Barnes and Noble sale; (2) the weather is colder so the heater is on more (3) I dry the records with the cloths flat but recently started doing the final passes with the LP tipped up to make sure I removed all the moisture from the lead in grooves. So that may be mostly what I'm noticing - more static.

Any perceived noise after cleaning new LPs seems to lessen with each playback - in some cases, I have played the first track, heard a little noise, then played the same track again and heard less/no noise

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

This seems like an excellent suggestion. I may go out and buy a magazine or dish rack.

astro70 likes this.
  23. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Goodwill special, 50 cents :p

Vinyl Addict and Bradd like this.
  24. Absolutely! Why introduce minerals into the mix?

It’s fairly simple and not too wasteful. I just warm up some distilled water in a saucepan, toss the brushes and spinners in for 3-5 minutes, press out any excess water, toothbrush if needed, and air-dry. Takes almost no effort and you’re good to go next time.

25. Purified water may work just as effectively as distilled water, but my exasperation was directed at the over-expense of buying Pepsi’s overpriced Aquafina purified water at $2+ per 16-ounce bottle. Using Coke and/or Pepsi water for this activity is utterly ridiculous. Many of their sodas are highly recommended for taking the finish off of cars, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.