Spiritual Jazz: Let's discuss

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, May 10, 2017.

1. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

You might reach out to forum member soundofblue. He has an impressive collection of Strata East, and hard-to-find jazz titles in general.

Bill Hart likes this.
  2. Tisziji Munoz!

Home

Tisziji has played with a lot of familiar names

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

cool. thanks, @rollo5 !

rollo5 likes this.
  4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

If that's also his name on eBay I bought a couple nice records from him.

Got the pure pleasure re of Mike and phoebe. Sounds awesome! Some of the opera style vocals are too much for me
    But I always love the chorus style vox on spiritual jazz.

Capra black is prolly in my top 5 jazz records of any kind. If you search you can find the Japanese denon re which sounds just as good as the OG. Who's Washington suite by?

Moko and rollo5 like this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yeah, the Mike and Phoebe is very good, not just sonics but it's got this almost Broadway voice from the one sister, and then she does gospel stuff. It's good. Washington Suite is Lloyd McNeill- he studied at the Ecole Des Beaux Arts in Paris, was friends with Picasso, painted and plays flute. His early works were issued on his private label and the tapes have allegedly gone missing. Thus, the premium on the original pressings, and the lack of killer reissues- the Tanner Suite is probably the best sounding of the Soul Jazz reissues - it's mono and though a needle drop, it doesn't sound quite as 'removed' as Asha. Tanner Suite as an original is really rare. (There's one trashed one on Discogs for relatively cheap, but that's no fun). I'll be posting a short piece on McNeill early next week - I'd love to interview him.

6. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

McCoy Tyner - Enlightenment

[​IMG]

7. dub_siq

dub_siq Forum Resident

I'll suggest a great recording by the sadly overlooked Kidd Jordan and Fred Anderson. Got into Kidd when I lived in New Orleans, where he's a patron saint.

[​IMG]

And any record with William Parker and Hamid Drake...

The Revealer and NorthNY Mark like this.
  8. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Of the four Strata East reissues from Pure Pleasure I have so far, the REGENERATION album with Stanley Cowell is the best-sounding. Really spectacular, actually. Perhaps members who have an original pressing can comment on whether or not the recording is a particularly good one. It certainly seems to be -- either that or the tapes are in fantastic condition.

Bill Hart likes this.
  9. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Would it not be difficult for Pure Pleasure Records to re-issue the Glass Bead Games since the widow of Clifford has the rights in her hands ?

10. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Which album is this from?

11. lasercd

lasercd Forum Resident

I was recently told that Superfly Records in France is working on a reissue.

My assumption is the master tapes still exist. Generally speaking Superfly does a nice job.

Michel Jazz likes this.
  12. Shrdlu

Shrdlu Forum Resident

But, which Spirit?

13. I don't know. Possibly one of the 50+ releases on his own label (average CD price: $10.) Music According to the blurb accompanying the Youtube clip, it's from 1997.

Never heard of Tsiziji before last year. The roster of artists he has assembled as collaborators over the years is astounding. Most every major player on the cosmic "spiritual jazz" circuit seems to know who he is. Yet he continues to fly under the radar of wide public name recognition, even among the jazz audience. And Munoz has been around for nearly 50 years. To me, he's one of the best guitarists in the history of recorded music.

This speaks to me of a massive letdown in the telecommunications realm between artist and listener, when it comes to cultivating an audience for this sort of music. Broadcast radio just isn't there for it. Sirius/XM radio is a lo-fi medium that doesn't serve the sound of the music well. Youtube and Internet music sources offer, like, 12 zillion choices, decontextualized. (Or algo-programmed pseudo-serendipity, which is nothing like actual thoughtful music programming by a knowledgable human with their own connection to the artistry.) I only found out about Tsiziji Munoz while looking into on-line teaching resources for newbie guitarists, eventually stumbling across this http://www.guitarmoderne.com/pioneer/pioneer-tisziji-munoz

It doesn't help that the proper spelling of Munoz' first name is insanely hard to recall, lol. I've rarely had so much trouble with so few letters.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  14. Do you have any idea where I can score a copy of Vol 7 on physical CD? I've got all of the other volumes (1-6, plus 8), and love them! -- but I still need #7, and can't for the life of me find one anywhere.

15. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Never heard of him!:bigeek::bigeek::bigeek:
    Wow!
    This forum is pure gold!

Comet01 and Panama Hotel like this.
  16. Tell people. About Tisziji, about this forum. People with wide open ears need a place where we can share finds like this.

17. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

As a Pharoah Sanders fan, I've heard Munoz on Pharoah's 1976 release (entitled Pharoah). I also have Munoz's 1981 solo debut (Visiting This Planet) but when I considered further exploration, I found his extensive discography to be overwhelming.

18. I don't know where to start with Munoz, either. Except by getting clues from Youtube, I suppose. I really should take the plunge and order up one of his CDs, based on the band membership. I doubt I'd go wrong by ordering a performance featuring Sanders, John Hicks, and/or Rashied Ali...etc.

Read Tsiziji's koan~poems, and you soon realize he's on that out-there-a-minute plane, somewhere there...

Comet01 likes this.
  19. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I don't see one anywhere either. That is strange. At least at Amazon.uk you're allowed to try to order it, but I would ask the label Jazzman if they have any:
    Home — Jazzman Records - We Dig Deeper

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  20. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Here's a favorite I just listened to again recently. No CD of this one means a needle drop.

Grachan Moncur III & the Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Echoes of Prayer

[​IMG]

rxcory and Mugrug12 like this.
  21. Glennza

Glennza Londoner, lost in the back of beyond

Thanks for a whole world of new artists for me to explore! and here's one from me...

Michel Jazz likes this.
  22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

[​IMG]

Got this through an Aomeba recomendation in their monthly flier and then by a real great worker there. So good. Lots of variety really. Just good music. Love this cd.

sberger and johnnypaddock like this.
  23. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

That's one of my favorite compilations of all time... Great music throughout.

:cheers:

dlemaudit and Greenalishi like this.
  24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Based on your views (both of yas), a copy of this is en route to me.

25. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Did you get that cover or this one?:

[​IMG]

Greenalishi likes this.