SPOILERS Genesis - The Last Domino? Tour SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sconcho, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I’d say whereas with his solo shows Phil was the sole focus really (and I really enjoyed seeing that show live) , with this it’s not all about him. You can see from the many videos available of the first three nights that the rest of the band are bloody tight. They arguably sound better at times than on the 07 tour with the youthful exuberance from Nic Collins driving them all on. They certainly have something to prove.
    The production looks amazing too.
    I think anyone shelling out by now should know what to expect with Phil or they haven’t been paying attention. Doesn’t feel to me anything like fleecing the fans.
    Having said all this, get the man a bloody autocue.

akmonday, gabbleratchet7 and Rojo like this.
  2. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

From what ive read, the US tour will be the final leg of the tour. No Genesis in 2022. Genesis will end this year in their existence.

3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I keep reading that but I thought Ireland was "postponed" not "cancelled".

4. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear. I would get no joy in seeing this Genesis tour when Phil can barely sing.
    I wouldn’t pay a dime to go into a big arena for this depressing spectacle. I’d rather not have the decades of my love of early Genesis spoiled by it.

Phil sounds appalling. There I said it. Nothing left to say on the topic for me. Knock yourself out if you’re going.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    showtaper, Purple and tonymasiello like this.
  5. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Fair enough J.B! I totally understand where you're coming from.

6. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

I read that too. I'm still hoping a second US leg will be added in 2022 selfishly so I can see them, along with other folks in the South and on the West Coast.

I have no idea how tour expenses work in terms of breaking even and / or making a profit, I figure some of that will factor into any decisions to continue after the current dates finish.

Only Tony Smith knows for sure !

7. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

So you’re done with this thread then?

8. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

The next handful of dates:

Friday 9.24 - Manchester
    Saturday 9.25 - Manchester
    Monday 9.27 - Leeds
    Tuesday 9.28 - Leeds

9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

They’ve mentioned the possibility of adding songs, so I’m interested to see if and when they do that?

ARK and Calling All Stations like this.
  10. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

We saw Dolly Parton at The Ohio State Fair in 2016 and BOTH she and her band lip-synched and play-synched. On the stage was just her, and two other "musicians": a lead guitar/banjo player and a bass player with no pedal/effects boards and no amps on stage. No drummer, which she went out of her way to explain was a drum machine because the drummer wanted too much money (insert laugh here). You simply can't "mime" playing drums. The concert was SOLD OUT and the ticket prices were significantly higher than the other concerts at the Fair that year. We left at the mid-way break and gave our good seats to a mother and daughter in the nose-bleeds.

ARK likes this.
  11. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Given that the band are sitting on 100s of archive live recordings on the basis that they are not good enough to put out and charge people to listen to them, then there is a contradiction (and maybe hypocrisy) in putting on this tour. However I hope anyone with a ticket really enjoys it, and I hope the band really enjoy performing together.

12. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I don't see an obvious contradiction there. Lots of those recordings probably come from soundboards. So they may be considered "subpar" in sound quality terms by the band and not just in terms of performance -- especially compared to their live albums.

The current shows are probably the best that the band can offer to fans these days. From what I've seen in clips, they put a lot of effort into rehearsing, creating the lights' show, etc.

In other words, the fact that the band peaked as performers many years ago does not mean they should be forced into an option of: a) Retiring; b) Be forced to sell their bootleg material against their wishes.

13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Based on what the tour is two gigs old and you are in another continent and absolutely the vast majority of people at those gigs opinions will remain unknown.

14. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The problem is not the arrangements, the show or whatever the problem is the frailty and ability of PC to perform. The rest of the band look very capable...one of the absolute great dynamics of Genesis live was what PC brought to the table in terms of ability, charisma and energy ably supported by exceptional musicians. A well PC would have made for a great show to see in context.

Purple and anduandi like this.
  15. Barney_Tabasco

Barney_Tabasco Forum Resident

What a gig in Birmingham the other night. Loved every minute. Emotional, nostalgic yet still very Genesis in all the best ways.

supernaut, Mr Matchbox, agn and 6 others like this.
  16. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

Not that I like to hold up as an example the management and related decisions for Hendrix.... BUT it is a good idea as they have done with Dagger records to have "official bootlegs" for less than stellar sound quality if people will get so worked up with a release when it's not fabulous sound. Plenty of fans exist interested in it, just look at the excellent t Movement site. And a number of those fans have talent at IDK what you call it properly I guess Audi editing? to improve the sound hisses levels etc and make a pretty reasonable end product. I doubt they'll do it, someone complained in another Genesis thread about the hiss and being recorded on cassettes not better or in studio. Like Heaven forbid it not be pristine audio. There are plenty myself included who'd still love to hear it and be happy to send $ via purchasing towards the band.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. bluedemon25

I'm excited for seeing them in Boston on the first of the two nights.

Can anyone comment, what if any posters were available at the merchandise booth? I love that stuff but haven't found any footage or comments about it.

18. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I’ve had a good look at the load of YouTube footage of the Birmingham shows, and there’s a lot. Two of the three shows are more or less there in full.

It’s a great show by the looks and yes a miracle it’s happening. But it appears where people are going wrong is expecting a 70 year old man with health issues to perform like he’s 40. There’s old shows to revisit for that. This is a new chapter in the story.

It’s true Phil looks pretty tired. But where Rod Stewart or Mick Jagger could definitely not pull it off in this state, leaning uncomfortably in a chair all night, he’s the only rock star I can think of that can get away with it. Purely because he was never glitzy pants and silly moves. He was always the Everyman. Almost an anti pop star. Turning up to the Band Aid recording looking like the plumber. It was never about the prancing about for Phil. He could never dance. That’s not what he was about.
    In his old age he suits being planted in a chair in a tracksuit top, like he’s about to watch the football.
    It’s odd but it fits somehow. With his son banging away in his spot and doing an amazing job. Cinematic ending to the story really. You can choose to see it as sad or see the joy in it.

Technically it shouldn’t work. But it bloody well does.
    And where some of his solo songs sound a bit odd performed in this way (eg Sussudio, Who Said I Would- music of a younger man) what is interesting is how many Genesis songs lend themselves to being performed by an older band. The age gives them weight. Mama, Land Of Confusion, Home By The Sea, Fading Lights, Afterglow, That’s All, Follow You, Duchess, No Son Of Mine, I Know What I Like… they all lend themselves to the interpretation of an older man telling the tale. There’s added weight - the aged vocals fit with the character of the songs at times.

He just needs to get those pipes in order a little bit more. I think that will come as the shows progress.
    I’d say Turn It On Again is the weekest performance and the magic drops a little at that point, wouldn’t be so bad to move that to the end…. The Duke’s End fade as per the album going into Mama would work well I reckon. Then into Land Of Confusion.
    Anyway, it’s lovely to see that against the odds they’re still going.

19. bluedemon25

It's lovely, like a silver rainbow.

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

BB King and Johnny Cash both did all/mostly seated shows near the end. Solomon Burke had a giant gold throne. Axl and Dave Grohl had short stints in chairs on tour. Roxette singer did a final Euro tour in a chair. Final shows with Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino had mobility issues when not playing piano.

I could see Ozzy do a seated tour if he put more focus on singing specifics and fans being on board. Especially after that last strong album.

supernaut and JulesRules like this.
  21. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

He used to sit all the time as a drummer….

22. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Wish they were coming west. I'd like to catch this.

23. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Then go see Hackett's band and comment on whatever thread is associated with that show. Why come into a thread for a concert you admittedly believe you will hate?

JoeRockhead and mikedifr0923 like this.
  24. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't mind the sitting at all. It's the singing that troubles me. But if people are getting joy out of it, rock on.

25. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

my comment was a bit tongue in cheek but people complain about Roger Waters or Paul Stanley lip syncing. The voice is the hardest thing to keep in old age for singers. Phil’s trying one last time but he admitted it won’t go past these shows so it’s a quick goodbye to touring.

JoeRockhead and SRC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.