SPOILERS Genesis - The Last Domino? Tour SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sconcho, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The clips that I have seen show actually a marked decline in his mobility and vocals since then.

somnar and Rufus rag like this.
  2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It's all about *you,* obviously.

All this hand-wringing is tired. Cash grab...hopefully for the band, it is indeed a cash grab.

ARK likes this.
  3. misteranderson

No, he doesn't. Don't be silly. Nad has never been the powerhouse that Phil was, and he doesn't really sound like Phil. He certainly doesn't sound worse.
    I think if he was ambulatory and able to dance around a bit, but sounded more or less the same, with the lowered keys and all, many people wouldn't be having the reaction they're having.

Even the higher quality YouTube clips are nothing like actually being there.

mikedifr0923 and Rufus rag like this.
  4. misteranderson

Sounds and looks about the same to me, though I'm more interested in how he's doing with Genesis than his solo tour.

5. Sconcho

Sconcho Forum Resident Thread Starter

The vocals look in line with the start of his solo tour around 2017. He improved greatly as that tour went on. From what he says he hasn’t practiced singing since and it sounds that way. I imagine his voice will kick into gear a bit over the next few gigs.
    Mobility looks the same too.
    The rest of the band sound great and the show itself looks amazing - that’s justification enough for this I reckon.

6. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

As someone who won't be able to attend this tour as they won't come to Italy and none of the dates are feasible in any way for me, I only have to rely on videos.

I'm not sure I have ever had so many mixed feelings about something before. Genesis is a band I deeply love so in a way I am glad this is happening anf I feel good about knowing that they are currently existing and touring. The band itself doesn't sound half bad: Rutherford, Stuermer and especially Banks are in good shape, Nic does his job well and the two vocalists add texture to the music without being intrusive. There are moments where had I attended in person I would have likely teared up: Tony's piano solo on "Follow You, Follow Me" and the closing "Moonlit Knight/Carpet Crawlers" encore.

On the other hand, seeing Phil like this breaks my heart. He sings in tune but the voice, the phrasing and the spirit are completely gone. He's not quite yet at the Ian Anderson stage as suggested (although Ian compensates that by still being an incredible instrumentalist and showman) but he really is a shadow of his former self. I give him props for having the balls to still show up and give all he can in his conditions but watching these videos saddens me not unlike how I felt seeing Terry Jones' state in the Monty Python reunion.

I really dislike when fans act like the artists' managers and say stuff like they should retire and so on: if they want to go on they have every right to do so as much as the fans have every right to refuse to attend a concert or to buy an album. This said, I don't think I have ever seen any other final tour that felt so much like an actual ending.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  7. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Despite Phil's recent comments several days before the tour began, I still firmly believe they will expand the itinerary into 2022. I think we'll possibly hear an announcement of some more shows, upon the conclusion of the UK leg in a few weeks. Probably spring/summer of 2022 and then once it's done, they will call it a day.

So maybe Italy will still happen at some point.

8. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

I think the point you're making here can't be stressed enough. Phil clearly isn't the singer he once was but the frail vocals actually seem to work for a surprising number of tunes. I thought "Moonlit Knight ->Carpet Crawlers" sounded especially poignant now more than ever.

On an unrelated note, I'm a little surprised I haven't seen a historical photo montage like they did during "I Know What I Like" on the 2007 tour. Guess it's a form of cheap nostalgia now but seeing all that footage larger than life really pulled at my heartstrings.

Genesis - "I Know What I Like" 2007 Rome

mshare, MikeVielhaber and GoodKitty like this.
  9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The Last Domino - Opening night (fan multicam)

mshare, Sconcho, Ulli and 1 other person like this.
  10. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Of all the people criticizing the vocals, have any of you been at the show?

I said it before and I’ll say it again…..a video over ****ty YouTube is very different than being there.

I have been to many shows where I thought it sounded great only for it to sound like crap watching videos later.

supernaut, ARK, Don Amos and 2 others like this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

enro99 likes this.
  12. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Tickets still available for Leeds for £181- Ridiculous!!!!

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Ouch.

This whole "bands are going to have to make money from touring" idea is headed for disaster, imo. In fact, thinking about it, this whole thing has the ring of disaster about it. Looking at Phil, if anyone deserves to be able to settle back and enjoy his days it's him. But with high costs, and the need these days for huge screens for some reason, it all looks a long way away from the good old days. What do today's fans think when they see old footage of classic Led Zep performances? Or Sabbath, or whoever. When I saw Judas Priest on their Sad Wings tour, Halford's satin stage clothes were fraying, they had a handful of colored lights, and the mike stand he used - which has square mirrored pieces stuck to it, was shedding them as they played. And it was bloody brilliant. Not sure today's fan would bother with something like that.

I watched the above footage of the current show, and a few things struck me. First and foremost, Phil, of course., But then that huge screen which is huge, and seems to do nothing but distract from the actual show. Then the band members, seemingly miles from each other. None of them looked like they were having a good time. Phil was giving it his all, but there isn't much left. And I'm sure fans are loving it and all. But really - this is where it ends? This is how it ends? I don't know man, it feels very very alien.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

An impressive fan production, for sure. Clever: Use a single live recording (and a good one), and combine it with footage from multiple cameras around the auditorium.

It's opening night, so this is probably in many ways the worst night. But it sounds good. Watching Phil in the chair isn't the greatest image, but the whole is pretty solid.

15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Manchester night 1
    Full audience recording

24 September

Calling All Stations likes this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Much better than Birmingham, that's for sure :righton:

But Phil is still out of tune in plenty of moments :shake:

We can hear and appreciate the great Nic drumming work :righton:

NunoBento likes this.
  17. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Yes, I saw Tull a few years ago and it was super depressing. Better to have not gone and kept the memories intact but Ian did stand on one leg and play flute at least.

18. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The comments mention 'brave performances'. 'commitment to the fans' and 'courage'. I am not a big Genesis-fan, but I hope when an artist reaches the age and frailty of mr. Collins he or she is brave, courageous and committed enough to call it a day.

Philip Gruber, Vaughan and Rufus rag like this.
  19. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

I’m not a massive Genesis fan, but my Dad is so I do have an interest in what they’re doing. I also saw them live in 2007 which was brilliant.

Correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve gandered at the setlist but it seems that they’ve played exactly the same songs on every tour they’ve done for years, but in a different order?

20. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

The setlist is similar to 2007 but it has a few changes, most notably "Duchess" and "Fading Lights" both of which hadn't been played live in a while, although they aren't doing the latter in full. "That's All", "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" (in a brand new arrangement) and the "Dancin With The Moonlit Knight" fragment weren't on the last tour either and, additionally, "Follow You Follow Me" is now played in an acoustic setting.

Conversely, "In The Cage", a fragment of "Duke's Travels", "Hold On My Heart", "Ripples" and "Los Endos" were in the 2007 setlist but they aren't doing them on this tour and, since Phil is not playing anymore, the drum duet has also been dropped.

Hope this helps.

ARK, NunoBento, GoodKitty and 5 others like this.
  21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Furthermore, the "Duke intro", that combines "Behind the Lines" and "Duke's End", was new to the 2007 tour, never played before that and is being played again this year.

Galeans likes this.
  22. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Ironically, I think Phil's voice now sounds much closer to Nad's than it used to. When Nad sang Phil's songs, I always found him sounding squeaky. Not bad, mind, but Phil in his prime had a nice full voice.
    This is what I absolutely don't get. I guess it comes with self-taught singers. Geddy Lee, David Gilmour, Phil... the older you get, the more you need to do vocal exercises to keep the cords in shape. Practicing really helps, and especially when you plan to do a big tour, why not work on those skills?

NunoBento and Rufus rag like this.
  23. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Sounds quite good to me. Not a huge Genesis fan but enough to vaguely follow the thread and watch a bit of this... is there no bass player when MR plays guitar?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  24. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Sometimes bass is played by Daryl Stuermer. Sometimes bass is played by MR via foot pedals.

KngCrmsn22, NunoBento and Tom B like this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Objectively I would expect Nad is a stronger singer than Phil is in 2021, unless he has declined notably since I last saw him.

Subjectively I would rather hear Phil, singing at the level he sings in these clips, sing Genesis tunes than hear Nad do them.

I value hearing the original singer do the songs, even witha voice diminished by age, over someone trying to imitate another singer.

If Nad were doing an entirely unique interpretation of the music, I would feel differently. I would enjoy hearing a healthy Joe Cocker sing A Little Help From My Friends more than I would enjoy hearing Ringo sing it with his voice diminished as much as Phil's has been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.