Spotify controversy continues, Joe B weighs in

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wombat Reynolds, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Not my favorite artists. Most of my favorite artists can barely support themselves as working musicians these days.

Lownote30 likes this.
  2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

So they're not artists. They're musical performers. The ones I know that are in that profession realize that they will only make the kind of wage the waitresses make at the bar they are playing at so it's strictly part-time. Teachers are done with school at 4pm and get summer's off. Feels like a good pairing.

3. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

No, they’re artists. Who are you to decide?

Don’t bother answering, I’m done with this conversation.

Lownote30, samskeyti and showtaper like this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm a regular on this forum.

No way I would have done that. There's what I enjoy and what the average music person enjoys and they aren't the same thing.

5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Bots love streaming. So easy to endlessly click onto. Millions and millions of streams.

Lownote30 likes this.
  6. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Got you, yeah, he sounds like a wanker. But my original comment still holds - Denon, Rotel, Marantz and the like aren't in business to sell to a small cohort of flat-earthers. They must know that there's a continuing, strong market for their products.

7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Nice tidy "story". Happens to fit the narrative.

Kevin j likes this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't agree.

75 year old ladies And gents.

MielR and schnitzerphilip like this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

"Philip Schnitzer, let's hear more stories!"

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

11. schnitzerphilip

It's certainly not for me to decide but not all performers are worthy of the term "artist", it's something that needs to be earned. Listening is certainly subjective, and we all can like what we like, but someone who is a "good guitar player" doesn't mean he is automatically an artist.

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

13. schnitzerphilip

I used to be that way, I used to want to impress others with my gear and my discs back in the 70's and 80's, there's nothing wrong with the practice. But it isn't mainstream. It's quite 'out there' if you know what I mean.

Gaslight likes this.
  14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

17. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]

Look at the streams.
    Accept the streams.
    Let the streams assimilate you.

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Why bring it up then?

Lownote30 and MPLRecords like this.
  20. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

So, basically you’re admitting to blatant hypocrisy. Joe tries to advocate for folks in the music business, many of whom don’t work for him, and you can’t even advocate for those who you claim to work for you.

Joe has constantly given back to the blues community, publicly and privately, more than you apparently know. In fairness, the extent of your knowledge on this shouldn’t surprise anyone.

I’ve never asked and claims of personal wealth don’t impress me. I’m not about to discuss our incomes on this forum, but feel free to post your tax returns if you think it makes your opinion look more credible.

It’s a brilliant film from a brilliant Pulitzer Prize winning play by David Mamet. I’m not surprised you haven’t seen it. The comment was less derogatory than ironic. Let’s just say, you haven’t earned the steak knives yet.

:cheers:
    Cat

Lownote30, MielR, samskeyti and 3 others like this.
  21. Terry

Terry Senior Member

You have won, sir

22. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Just a note, I said Velvet Underground in my post above. That should have been Velvet Revolver. Unfortunately, no way to edit it at this point.

23. schnitzerphilip

There is a market, it's just small and getting smaller every year.

"All we are saying, is give streams a chance."

24. schnitzerphilip

Joe isn't advocating for folks in the music business; he's posturing to get people to notice his brand and get some clicks on social media. You do realize that YouTube is a streaming service, yes? In fact, his whiny video on Spotify is is most watched video. What a surprise. I'm sure his plays are up on streaming audio too, having not heard of the guy before this thread and now having the misfortune of listening to his morose music for a few minutes, I've helped him get placement on mood playlists on Apple Music.

I couldn't care less what Joe Bossarona has or hasn't done for the blues community. What I care about, albeit not too much, is that he is misleading people like you into thinking he's benevolent when he's just gaming the system to make his brand more popular on streaming services this month.

You called me a used car salesman. I chose to clarify.

Your arrogance about ancient physical media like compact discs and movie film is duly noted. So too is your ignorance around modern technology.

25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Another blanket statement of questionable validity.

I'm not saying the wealthy are inherently immoral, but you also cannot say that they are inherently moral. To make a valid judgement, I'd have to know how their wealth was amassed, and they're usually not forthcoming on the subject. Wonder why?

OptimisticGoat and dalem5467 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.