Springsteen's Letter To You thread (second try)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

On the other hand, it’s a song.

905, Mark E. Moon, Jmac1979 and 2 others like this.
  2. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Exactly. Just enjoy it.

905, Old Fart At Play and johnny q like this.
  3. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

Hmm, that phrase... :sigh:

4. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

If you're taking lyrics literally, perhaps you're not his audience.

5. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Janey sounds great! Just like the rehearsal version that I always loved. Max nails it too!

6. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Its a real bummer to me people have leaked the album.

Springsteen and the e street band have always been good to the fans. When western stars came out those of us that bought the more expensive blue swirl vinyl from his website were given complete refunds plus sent a poster as a sorry for the album being delivered a few days late.

Now people are leaking the new album.

7. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

I do. I think more people should.

8. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

It's not right to do, but I'm willing to bet most of the people who are listening to leaked versions will still buy the album.

powerq, Lontano, Martin Byrne and 4 others like this.
  9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Good lord. It's a songwriting technique. The things expressed in the lyrics are not actually spoken, they're his reflections.

raye_penber, 905 and Wordnat2 like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I never thought I would be saying that any version of Shooter matched the outtake from the Darkness period (or, to be accurate, it was NOT an outtake, someone here corrected me. Rather, it waqs a reheasal. An outtake is a song that was seriously considered for an album). But this version is almost as good. Just great arranging and playing.
    And speaking of arranging (I still think that this is his greatest talent over songwriting), this version of Priest takes a song I thought was just boring and wordy and re-fashions it into something compelling and interesting. I really like this lp.

11. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I think two things really make this version of "Janey" just as compelling as the '79 version: the fact that vocally Bruce sounds great on it, and that they used that take as a blueprint and pretty much made a near copy of it, arrangement and playing wise.

Also I agree: the arrangement of "If I Was a Priest" is killer here, especially in how it really emphasizes that brief post-chorus chorus melody (but I will say that I like the original demo, as well).

Jimmy B. and ExHead like this.
  12. hornsz

hornsz Forum Resident

That is hilarious :targettiphat:

Sherman and mooseman like this.
  13. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Oh the horror!
    Sorry you feel that way. The rest of us are enjoying the record.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

He’s not talking, but he keeps referencing a letter to YOU? Sure.

15. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I am quite sure that this is the case. Listen to Steve's guitar playing on the right channel. He has not been playing that way and with that tone for many many years.

Yes, maybe he recovered the style for a bit, but also bear in mind that the song is not included in the doc. Everything points toward some old sounds being used.

Also, I am quite surprised at the love that Rainmaker is getting. Sounds pretty boring and generic to me.

And the contrary for 1000 guitars. I love it.

J

16. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

You guys (POB and JJ) may be right about "Janey Needs a Shooter" being at least partially vintage much in the same way Bruce and the band added new vocals and instrumentation to "Meet Me in the City" for The Ties That Bind box set. But to Dr. Zoom's point, the bootlegged version many of us have been listening to for years is indeed a rehearsal recorded with amateur equipment, not a proper studio outtake.

In the UK edition of Clinton Heylin's E Street Shuffle: The Glory Days of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, there's an indispensable appendix that outlines every known studio outtake, as Heylin had access to Sony's logs. "Janey Needs a Shooter" is nowhere to be found in those logs save for the 1973 solo piano demo. Then again, "Meet Me in the City" doesn't appear in the logs either (unless "Meet Me in the City" is a new title for a song originally titled "In the City Tonight").

17. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The version Janey we all know was indeed recorded on a boom box (Believe it or not, I know the guy who’s job it was to push the record button on the boom box, among other things)
    That’s not to say they didn’t record a studio version way back when.

Jimmy B., budwhite and ExHead like this.
  18. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I think Springsteen may have struck gold with this concept: dig out unused stuff from the 1970s,
    re-record it live in the studio, and release it. I’m not kidding.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Agree - there is nothing more personal or thoughtful than a hand written note. Get a little of that "Human Touch."

tanqueray cowboy likes this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Heck, it worked for Van Halen on A Different Kind Of Truth.

I would welcome this approach as opposed to churning out songs like "Surprise, Surprise."

21. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Email To You sounds much better right?

Lontano likes this.
  22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I would call the sound of the album a cross between a Bon Jovi and a Patti album. Maybe Bruce should consider a new producer.

23. DougB217

DougB217 Forum Resident

How about “...and I wrote it in an email that was never sent”? At least then it makes sense that he’s explaining it. Of course if this is another song resurrected from the ‘70s, then “letter” fits.

24. Lombardi

Lombardi Forum Resident

And I slid it in
    My DM
    To you

TheVU likes this.
  25. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Drums are front and center in this mix.
    And meaty, very meaty.

carlwm and ExHead like this.