Squeaky Clean, Vinyl Bug or Vinyl Vac?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by geodr, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geodr

geodr Forum Resident Thread Starter

What do you recommend for a moderately priced RCM?

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Not the Vinyl Vac. It seems like it would work. But it looks awkward to use. You have hold the wand with one hand then find a way to turn the record with the other. What do you turn? The label is covered by the wand. So the platter? Yeah, I think I'd pay a bit more for some ergonomics.

Big Blue and displayname like this.
  3. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I have the Vinyl Bug and like it but the Squeaky Clean is probably a good choice too.

Big Blue, displayname and patient_ot like this.
  4. evo777

evo777 Forum Resident

Sorry fella NONE of the above really why on there`s no point in cheaping out on a RCM,I`m not saying your choices would`nt shift dirty but to start getting anywhere near to a proper clean solution(!),you`d be better off with a vac RCM.
    There`re several makes that are popular with forum members but I can only speak for two,& they are both from Pro-ject,VC-S2 ALU & it`s smaller brother the VC-E
    None of the above if you want to invest in a RCM(I personally believe every serious record user/collector should),then go for a lower priced vac cleaner rcm.
    There are several that are popular on here(just read the threads)but I can only speaker for the two projects;VC-S2 ALU & VC-E which is the smaller version.

**The video above shows you how to CORRECTLY use ANY Pro-ject RCM(VC-S,VC-S2,VC-S2 ALU,VC-E)**

***The video below is NOT the correct way to use a Pro-ject RCM but,at "7:05" into the video it shows you the "fix/solution" addressed by Pro-ject for the "VC-E version ONLY" as it`s exhaust vent IS on the top surface of the machine(as you`ll see in the video)so the clear plastic disc that`s inside the box is to "protect" the underside of the cleaned record,all the other Pro-ject RCM`s have the vent on the side of the unit which is of course better but,the smaller "VC-E" is about £80-100 cheaper though!
    YouTube
    Here`s a good demo of the original rcm,if you can get one these un-used it will be cheaper than the newer versions,the volume of the video is a bit low but you can hear him well enough when turned up.
    YouTube

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    George Cooke and nosliw like this.
  5. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Have you used either the Vinyl Bug or Squeaky Clean? I use the Vinyl Bug with a Tergitol solution and it works as well or better than when I’ve had records cleaned on a VPI 16.5.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have had the Squeaky MK3 for a few years. Mine has two wands and I use AI#15 and distilled water with it. Recommended.

I DO NOT recommend the Vinyl Vac, or anything else that involves wet cleaning on your record player. Bad idea to have water and liquids near your stereo system.

RE: manual RCMs, models like the SQ MK3, KAB EV-1, Record Doctor, etc. all do the same thing as a motorized RCM. The only difference is you turn the record by hand. This allows more control but does require additional human energy over a motorized RCM.

33na3rd, Radio and plastico like this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Record Doctor V?

classicrocker likes this.
  8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

You don't have to spend big money to get RCM performance.

The Record Doctor V does an excellent job in a self contained unit. The difference is the user turns the record to clean and vacuum.

condorsat likes this.
  9. Nibiru

Nibiru Active Member

Hi all! First post time! :)

I have been using the Vinyl Bug with two wands, one for cleaning and one for rinsing; I paid $119 for the VB and $25 for Tergikleen from Amazon. I bought extra micro fiber for the cleaning/scrubbing wand, and mesh fiber for the rinse wand for about $15. I also bought the MoFi wet brush for scrubbing and the Record Doctor brush for rinsing brushing. The shop vac cost $25 from Lowes and the bucket for $5. I've never used any other system to clean records other than an old school Discwasher from the 70s. I bought this system based on reading many threads here and determinded this to be a better system than systems like a VPI, cheap or not, as I'm able to replace parts that may break for cheap and am able to get what seems to be similiar results with folks who are using much more expensive machines, based on reading results from this forum. The Vinyl Bug is a very well thought out machine that allows one to manually clean a record without getting the label wet or placing a clean side flat on a surface. The record only touches the spindle which gets screwed down with a label saver. Cleanig a record does take too long, imho. One must allow the solution to soak for a couple minutes, then vaccum for a few rotations, then do a triple rinse vaccum. A record takes me around 15 minutes to clean. My results are pretty good, but I think an US machine will be the missing link. I really want to try a US machine as the final step. I'm still experiencing some surface noise which I'll accept after trying a US machine.

Radio likes this.
  10. arem

arem Forum Resident

I have the Vinyl Vac and I am very happy with the results I get using it. Wet cleaning on your main turntable is definitely not a great idea, so I got a crappy old turntable from a thrift store that I use as my cleaning surface. I use Audio Intelligent One Step solution with a paint pad from a hardware store, only takes a minute or so per side and no rinse is needed. All in the VV, solution, paint pad and shop vac set me back less than 100 dollars, I can't see what real improvement I could get from a dedicated RCM that costs 4 or 5 times more.

DrZhivago and lazydawg58 like this.
  11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Love my Okki Nokki :cheers:

mantis4tons and ssmith3046 like this.
  12. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

For those that have used the Vinyl Bug, does the lack of platter give you any issue when using a brush to clean records?

13. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

On the Squeaky Clean, what material are the bristles on the wand?

I'm very interested in purchasing either a Squeaky Clean or the Vinyl bug, which is the reason for this post and my post above.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Closed loop velcro. Been using for years now and never had it scratch a record. I have 2 wands by the way, one for cleaning cycles and one for rinsing cycles. I did have to replace the strips on the wand once so far.

Floyd47 likes this.
  15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've used the squeaky clean setup since I first got into vinyl 5 years ago. To say it doesn't work is essentially proof that the person saying that has never used it and knows nothing of what they speak. It's literally a manual process that if you execute it properly and with good fluids, there's no way it can't work. I used mine with Osage audio brushes, one for water and one for detergent, Audio Intelligent fluids (Pure Water, AI#6 one step, and AI#15 for the dirty stuff), and a little Stanley shop vac with two wands, one for water and one for detergent.

It brought many a poor/dirty record back into the good side of the ledger.

I have since moved on though, and am now using a Gem Dandy hydraulic record cleaner. It won't work for everyone as it is messy but it is not expensive and works amazingly well. The stuff I'm getting out of the grooves even on brand new records is eye opening.

Floyd47 likes this.
  16. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Thanks, that is helpful. Also appreciate the info you provided in another thread about the Audio Intelligent #15 and #6 fluids.

patient_ot likes this.
  17. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Lack of a platter does create a minor issue with thinner vinyl not being supported at the outer edge. For those records I just use my hand (with a lens cleaning cloth) to help the outer edge maintain good contact with the vacuum wand. Hope that makes sense.

Floyd47 likes this.
  18. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Vinyl Vac works pretty well. I used to use an old cheap sony table and turned it w a record clamp which kept labels dry. Then I made a platter out of a lazy susan and some cheap parts similar to the example and instructions linked on their website. Would like to have a more expensive machine but this works well and is crazy cheap. The guy that runs Vinyl Vac is very responsive and helpful.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  19. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Ok, that’s exactly the scenario I was thinking about when I asked the question. Appreciate the info!

Radio likes this.
  20. Nibiru

Nibiru Active Member

Hi, sorry for the late response. The only minor issue I have is I have to pull back slightly on the top of the screw top to make the outer edge touch the wand. Essentially lifting the record up to the wand. Vinyl, heavy weight or light, doesn't always make contact with the wand without a little work I must say. Super flat records never have this problem, however. I just switched wet vacs and bought a ShopVac that seems to have more suction than my previous vacuum, seems to help with this issue. Other than that, I'd say the design of the Vinyl Bug is pretty amazing.

Floyd47 likes this.
  21. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. So when you’re spinning the record, you sometimes have to hold the outer edge up a bit?

22. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

That is my experience but only with lighter weight records - not an issue for me with 180 gram pressings. Would be interested in hearing opinions from someone who has used both the VinylBug and Squeaky Clean.

23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Anything that uses a vacuum is noisy as can be, including and probably especially the ones with their own vacuum and motor in a box.
    When they make a quiet one let me know.

24. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

I've used a Squeaky Clean for a while now, and I cannot imagine a Pro-Ject RCM could vacuum any better.
    • Get record cleaning solution
    • Spread on record (I use an Osage brush with Audio Intelligent #6, or a camel hair brush if I'm using L'Art du son)
    • Vacuum off the solution
    • Rinse if wanted
    I don't understand how the more expensive ones could do anything different. Unless you go for a VPI Typhoon for $2500 that does everything for you, they all work with the same idea in mind - to vacuum off the solution. Granted, I only have a 1210GR and a Music Hall MMF 5.1 - none of the super expensive turntables so my budget is obviously low.

I'd rather spend the money on records.

Big Blue, patient_ot and toddrhodes like this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Monks has a new machine that based on the demo videos, seems quiet. They are not well distributed in the U.S. though, so very few reviews from actual users. I would love to try one sometime, but that's not gonna happen soon.

Keith Monks Prodigy Vinyl Record-CD-DVD Cleaning Machine

ubiknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.